Persuasive Speech

Jan 10, 2013
The Union of Scree
I need to do a persuasive speech in English. But I don't know what to do it on. That is where you, the reader, come in. If you guys could give me some ideas, that would be fantastic. Now I haven't received a rubric yet but in preparation for Senior Seminar next year, I would assume my speech would need to be ~10-15 minutes long. Now please don't give me any topics that have been beaten into the ground. topics like that include, but are not limited to:
  • Marijuana Legalization
  • Creationism VS. Evolution
  • Gun Control
  • Homosexuality
  • GMO's
  • Capital Punishment
I think you get the point. Some ideas I had were:
  • Spoons>Forks
  • Use of Video Games in the Classroom
  • Video Games Benefiting You
Some other ideas I stumbled across:
  • Disney Land VS. Disney World
  • Superman VS. Goku
Stuff like that. Now if you can give me some ideas, it would be much appreciated

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
  • Spoons > Forks is a pretty damn difficult argument to make. Forks are much more utilitarian. Furthermore, the spork reigns supreme over all utensils.
  • Very few games can be used in an educating way. If they do, they are limited to the more rudimentary learning concepts taught in the elementary school level.
  • Aside from an educational benefit, video games don't provide much more than fine motor skills/coordination. They also come with a plethora of potential hazards.
  • Disney whatever, the audience really doesn't care
  • Superman is more widely understood. It would be in your best interest to pick another superhero that originated from a magazine. Besides, Goku could f*ck Superman any day.
So when you're making a persuasive speech, you must think about some things:
  • Who is my audience? It would not make sense to debate the usefulness of something they don't understand, or have absolutely no interest in understanding.
  • What is the scope of the argument? How particular or broad is the topic? Can you present within your time frame of 10-15 minutes?
  • Is the topic debatable? Does the topic have two or more sides, with evidence and conjecture to support their opinions? Can one choose a side while factoring in the other's viewpoints?
  • What is your stance on the issue? Make sure that it doesn't taint your information with bias, but also make clear at the end what you believe.

Jan 10, 2013
The Union of Scree
  • Spoons > Forks is a pretty damn difficult argument to make. Forks are much more utilitarian. Furthermore, the spork reigns supreme over all utensils.
  • Very few games can be used in an educating way. If they do, they are limited to the more rudimentary learning concepts taught in the elementary school level.
  • Aside from an educational benefit, video games don't provide much more than fine motor skills/coordination. They also come with a plethora of potential hazards.
  • Disney whatever, the audience really doesn't care
  • Superman is more widely understood. It would be in your best interest to pick another superhero that originated from a magazine. Besides, Goku could f*ck Superman any day.
So when you're making a persuasive speech, you must think about some things:
  • Who is my audience? It would not make sense to debate the usefulness of something they don't understand, or have absolutely no interest in understanding.
  • What is the scope of the argument? How particular or broad is the topic? Can you present within your time frame of 10-15 minutes?
  • Is the topic debatable? Does the topic have two or more sides, with evidence and conjecture to support their opinions? Can one choose a side while factoring in the other's viewpoints?
  • What is your stance on the issue? Make sure that it doesn't taint your information with bias, but also make clear at the end what you believe.
I know all of this. But like I said, just some ideas. I am looking for ideas