Persuasive speech: Halo vs. CoD

Jan 10, 2013
The Union of Scree
i need to make a persuasive speech for English here in a few weeks. i will do Halo vs. CoD and how Halo is way better than CoD. i have a few ideas but i need some more.

takes way more skill

better story line

better community

i need more things and statements backing it all up! help me please!

Ariel Morgan

Adept
Dec 27, 2012
Oak Park, MI
Skill is arbitrary

Story is personal preference (unless you have actual points to make about the structure of the story, elements, pace, etc)

Community can be discussed, but only factually.

I think that if you wanted to compare the two you should start at the base differences:
Playstyle
Gameplay
Players
Campaign

Compare the two, rather than picking a victor. There is nothing to gain in writing something you believe is true (as it is your opinion on display, unless of course that is the point of the paper is to make an opinion on something).

Start with basic comparative elements, and then give a miscellaneous category for features that cannot be defined.
Begin with explaning the backstory for the two games (simple overview of history/sales history/that both are highly rated, regarded, etc), then get into specific details surrounding the two and why they are different/the same.

Without knowing the exact assignment I cannot give the best advice, but if I were you I would tackle this in the above manner.

Explain your preference, but only after the review, and don't feel bad making halo look good, just don't make it so obvious.

Ariel Morgan

Adept
Dec 27, 2012
Oak Park, MI
So, again, you still need to create a base outline, and you need to detail what each game is and why Halo is in fact better.

Draw upon the categories you choose upon, give an overview to them quickly (30 seconds "I will compare and review XYZ").
Take a minute to discuss each category you think is pertinent (take a minute for each and go over key components, those being factual things you can cling to, and brief explanation of each)
Then close with your thoughts as to why one is better than the other, and why one will remain better than the other. (don't rush, be precise!)

I think if you stick closely to the clear cut advantages that Halo has:
  • Forge, file sharing system, Custom game scene in general.
  • The campaign has a continued story, something that has never been in CoD, there is actual attachment to the gameplay and story because of this.
  • Halo has had a far more serious competitive scene which has driven the game to become better over time, rather than stagnate and just serve a new release each year.

Again, stray away from gameplay and things that people can "Like" as they are all preference based. You need to actually prove that Halo is better, no matter what anyone "feels"

Gluck to ya!

Reactions: NinetysBorn

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
i need to make a persuasive speech for English here in a few weeks. i will do Halo vs. CoD and how Halo is way better than CoD. i have a few ideas but i need some more.

takes way more skill

better story line

better community

i need more things and statements backing it all up! help me please!

To be fair, this is more like bashing, and not a actual conversation.

Not one person will defend COD.

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Going back a bit the problem is your comparing a Condom to an Orange. The two are completely separate and completely different.

And that's why both are hardly ever compared or debated about which is better? A rap battle on youtube between Halo and Cod with more than 8 million views disproves that. Both are hugely successful FPS', both have statistically very good multiplayer, both have a huge fan base. Look, it's like saying that a while back that the debate between the Sega Genesis and the NES are incomparable because one platform is 8 bit and the other 16 bit.
So basically, there wouldn't be such a big flame war if the two were like comparing a condom and an orange.

Absentduck

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Lancashire
Halo is much better because what you can do in cod is defined by other similar games while halo is unique and different from its competitors which makes it stand out

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
And that's why both are hardly ever compared or debated about which is better? A rap battle on youtube between Halo and Cod with more than 8 million views disproves that. Both are hugely successful FPS', both have statistically very good multiplayer, both have a huge fan base. Look, it's like saying that a while back that the debate between the Sega Genesis and the NES are incomparable because one platform is 8 bit and the other 16 bit.
So basically, there wouldn't be such a big flame war if the two were like comparing a condom and an orange.
Yes, there would be. People only argue about it because its in the same genre, I get extreely angry when someone compares Saints Row to GTA. You can say you prefer one over the other or that you think one is better, but they have nothing to do with one another.

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Yes, there would be. People only argue about it because its in the same genre, I get extreely angry when someone compares Saints Row to GTA. You can say you prefer one over the other or that you think one is better, but they have nothing to do with one another.

Facepalm.png

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
I'm saying that you shouldn't compare it by killtime, but you can say you prefer a longer killtime. Nether is 100% better.

Yeah, it's just that you said they're incomparable because they are only the same genre, but the genre has everything to do with it. It's why we don't compare a JRPG to a wild west game like Red Dead Redemption.

Jan 16, 2013
In some ways I do admire call of duty for it's simplicity, team up with a few buddies and play on black ops 1 where the "pros" are not playing and quick-scoping is nerfed is actually a lot of fun.

Private matches of gun game or one in the chamber on Nuketown are pretty fun as well as Zombies and going 2 vs 10 on combat training was pretty sweet also.

This game being 2 years old also make it an highly affordable title to own. New copies of the game (in the uk at least) also now come with the resurrection DLC pack giving players a total of 7 NZ maps from the get go, arguably the best maps of the series (although my heart will always say ascension was the best map).

on the flip side I do enjoy halo as well... why else would I be here to be honest.

Halo 4 I enjoy but it seems a bit samey to me in the sense that it feels more like a military shooter than previous halo titles but I'm not a fantastic judge of this due to not being a huge fan of the FPS genre in general.

As soon as GTA V comes out, I'll be in my element :D