Need help picking a pair of headphones

ER1C0

Novice
Mar 25, 2013
Hi, I'm looking for comfortable, decent-sounding (prefer a little heavier bass), decent-looking headphones. I bought a pair of Audio-Technica M50's a year and a half ago and find they clamp my head way too much. I love the sound (would like a little more bass, admittedly), but it literally feels like a bear trap on my head after about 40 minutes of use.

So, I'm about to sell the audio-technicas and am in the market for a new pair. Right now I'm looking at JVC HANC250 Noise Cancelling Headphones that weigh about half that of the Audio-Technica's, and are supposedly pretty comfy.. and cancel noise.

Basically the only reason I want these and not in-ear earphones is that these were originally marketed at $200 (are $100 on amazon) and I've found a new pair for $61.30. And upper end in-ear earphones generally cost $80 and up.

So, please reply if you know anything about comfortable headphones or can recommend a pair or something

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Protip: Don't buy things by the price tag, even when it looks like there's an awesome sale on something expensive. Been there, done that wayyy more times than I'd like to admit.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB?tag=apartmentth0a-20
These are by far the best you can get at $100. If you're looking for something a little lower price/quality, continue to look at Sennheiser's selection; it's really some amazing quality stuff for much cheaper than you'd normally expect.

For in-ear, I use a NuForce NE-700Ms -- they're really wonderful quality, but they have been a quick to break. I've had to send them in twice to get repaired (both times free) after one side stopped playing. In the past, I had good experience with Klipsch's in-ear selection as well, they're very comfortable and more than adequate sound quality, possibly too high on the bass end. The S4s are a classic in terms of durability/quality/affordability/comfortability, and block out noise really well. They do kinda invade your ear space significantly more than more earbuds, though.

ER1C0

Novice
Mar 25, 2013
Protip: Don't buy things by the price tag, even when it looks like there's an awesome sale on something expensive. Been there, done that wayyy more times than I'd like to admit.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB?tag=apartmentth0a-20
These are by far the best you can get at $100. If you're looking for something a little lower price/quality, continue to look at Sennheiser's selection; it's really some amazing quality stuff for much cheaper than you'd normally expect.

For in-ear, I use a NuForce NE-700Ms -- they're really wonderful quality, but they have been a quick to break. I've had to send them in twice to get repaired (both times free) after one side stopped playing. In the past, I had good experience with Klipsch's in-ear selection as well, they're very comfortable and more than adequate sound quality, possibly too high on the bass end. The S4s are a classic in terms of durability/quality/affordability/comfortability, and block out noise really well. They do kinda invade your ear space significantly more than more earbuds, though.

Those are a little too expensive than I'm comfortable paying.. It looks a lot like the M50s I had. I'm just sceptical to pay that much over headphones again given how much the M50s hurt my head.

I've heard Sennheiser is good. At least you're not paying extra just for a name. Thanks for the protip.

I just found these: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Supra-Aural-Headset-Control-i-Phone/dp/B003WV8PKG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1378005266&sr=8-4&keywords=Sennheiser PX 200-II

Reviews say they sound good. 3 ounces looks promising. I can't believe something 1/3rd the weight of the m50s can crush my ears lol. I'm a little worried about sound leakage both from the headphones and from people around me

Edit: My biggest priorities are: sound decent, very comfortable, noise-cancelling/limited sound leakage, $70 or under

Edit 2: So I've been listening to my M50s all morning and I honestly don't really like them so I think I'll sell them. The thing I've realized is good headphones aren't useful if you have bad mp3 files or listen to bob dylan or something. It's just not worth the $140 and I could use some extra money and/or buy something that has noise-cancelling or something. If I plan on getting good earphones I'll probably just go into best buy or something and try them out.

ER1C0

Novice
Mar 25, 2013
I love earbuds, and they don't look as pretentious.

Yeah, I never wore my M50's in public.

Just sold them btw. The thing is I bought $6.39 earphones (here) on amazon last week and I'm astounded at how something so cheap can sound relatively similar to expensive headphones with a $133.61 difference. I say relatively because honestly with about 20% of my songs on my ipod the M50s made them sound A LOT better. With another 20% they sounded pretty good. That leaves another 60% where the M50s didn't seem to change much besides being able to hear the singers "sss" noises. Idk, I'm just kinda rationalizing my selling them right now lol. It might be that most of my music isn't very "glamorous," aka live recordings, bob dylan like I said, a lot of cough downloaded stuff. But I'm serious, I don't need expensive headphones... unless they have noise-cancelling or make me love my music 5 fold for at least 75% of my songs.

Anyways, thanks to the people who posted. If you have some pair that you guarantee will blow my mind feel free to post :)

ER1C0

Novice
Mar 25, 2013
In case anyone cares, I bought some "crappy" heavy bass in-ears (just for fun). Can't justify buying expensive headphones at this point