Maps Erased!!

Netro2028

Novice
Aug 3, 2015
Yesterday I was creating a new map on Halo 4 (TMCC) I spent like 2 hours doing it and when I was finished I just saved it twice I verified it was saved and now today it is gone and also another map I had built like a month ago got erased. Those where my only two maps and both erased themselves. My screenshots also got erased, the only thing that didn't got erased are my theather clips so I only have a recording of two hours building a map I don't have anymore, Can I fix this?

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Check your recent files as well as your file share. There is a chance that your map will still be in one of these, if you had out it on your file share before or if you had played the map recently. Forge sessions count.

For avoiding this in the future, there are a few things you can do. When you go to work on a map, load up a dev map first. This will "clear the cache" as we usually put it, and it will prevent the map save-over glitch. This glitch has been around since Halo Reach and has never been fixed unfortunately. The other thing you can do, and what I do personally, is to always use Save As instead of using Save. This will make a new version of your map each time. I always add a number to the end of my map name and I increase it after each Save As. Ex. Shoe's Map 1.0, Shoe's Map 1.1, Shoe's Map 1.2, etc.... This will leave you with a lot of extra versions of your map, so make sure to get rid of the old versions occasionally. Finally, I would always put the newest version of your map on your File Share. This way it will also be stored by Microsoft's Cloud Servers and you will have a backup.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
The problem you're experiencing is due to none of the content in MCC being locally stored. It is all actually stored in an unreliable cloud system. Sometimes, your Xbox will fail to sync with Microsoft's cloud servers and your content will not show up. This content should come back at some point, but there have been plenty of issues with MCC's storage recently such as some players not being able to access the file shares of certain other players and such.