Looking for people interested in starting a Map Testing focus lobby

Would you be interested in a lobby like this?

• Nope, not at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - but only to play test other's maps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - to test others and my maps

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Yes - and to help out with everything

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

GiantDwarf01

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
UPDATE: Started a lobby for this purpose here.

As a fledgling forger with very few halo-playing friends, I realized it's very difficult to get people to test out maps, especially maps that need the max amount of players. So I came up with an idea - what if there was a lobby made specifically for testing people's maps? There might be one already, but this lobby would be set up specifically for people to bring their maps and we focus and play test them. So just to see if anyone out there is interested, here's my idea (and pretty much everything can be subject to change).

Here's how the setup works, we'll go through each map in this order:
  1. Queued Maps: If you have a map you want to test, leave a comment on the event with the link to said map. The host will add it to a queue. All maps on the queue gets priority over BYOM Maps. Speaking of which...
  2. Bring-Your-Own-Maps (BYOM): After we go through the maps in the queue, we'll take and test any maps that people have in their file share. We'll pretty much just test any map you have ready to test.
  3. Revisits/Free-For-All: If there's still time left, and no more maps to test, we can either replay some other maps or play any type of custom games we may have.
We'd make sure to get to as many maps as we can, but in order to be sure each map is thoroughly tested, here's a few rules:
  1. Each map will be tested a minimum of 2 times unless unanimously agreed upon by the group. The group may also agree on extending the testing of said map for longer, but for testing purposes. We can always replay it during the Revisits time. We can't keep play testing one map when there's others waiting.
  2. Constructive criticism is welcome, but unnecessarily harsh or just plain rude criticism is not allowed. I don't care if it's the worst forge map in the history of forge maps, if you aren't at least kind in saying "It sucks," you'll be kicked.
  3. Doing a "quick fix" isn't allowed if it involves going into forge and making the rest of us wait. You can decide to leave and fix your map and rejoin, however you'll no longer have a saved spot and will have to wait for the BYOM map time.
  4. A "quick fix" is allowed if it only involves the game settings and everyone is OK with it. Since the host will be controlling it, the fix also has to be simple enough for them to do.
So those are the basics. Like I said this can all be changed as needed but at the moment is there any interest in such a lobby? It'll probably be at least a monthly thing, but maybe a weekly thing. The exact timing depends a lot on others and if anyone would be willing to help out. This lobby wouldn't just be for map creators, but also for anyone who'd just like to test and give advice to creators. The types of maps we'd play would be anything from flood, to competitive, to minigames, to whatever the heck else people come up with. Depending on how many people are interested and the types of maps, we might want to make specific times for specific number of people. Not sure, but that's what I'm thinking.

So what do you guys think? I already have one map that I could use help with and I'm sure there's others out there as well.

Last edited:

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Dedicated testing lobbies are incredibly important for forgers. There have been numerous such lobbies in the past, but having an additional one couldn't hurt. Traditionally, I've headed up a sizeable group for testing maps along with others including Fiendish Shoe IRScared, ShockKnizzle, WARHOLIC, The Fated Fire, and Sgt x Pumpkinhead. We'll be starting this tradition up again in Halo 2: Anniversary. You're welcome to team up with us, but having additional groups dedicated to testing maps would never be a bad thing.

If you're interested in seeing the format I use, you can see the lobby posts here and the feedback threads here.

GiantDwarf01

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Dedicated testing lobbies are incredibly important for forgers. There have been numerous such lobbies in the past, but having an additional one couldn't hurt. Traditionally, I've headed up a sizeable group for testing maps along with others including Fiendish Shoe IRScared, ShockKnizzle, WARHOLIC, The Fated Fire, and Sgt x Pumpkinhead. We'll be starting this tradition up again in Halo 2: Anniversary. You're welcome to team up with us, but having additional groups dedicated to testing maps would never be a bad thing.

If you're interested in seeing the format I use, you can see the lobby posts here and the feedback threads here.

That's cool and thanks for replying. I'd love to join you guys however I'm still working with Halo 4, so unless Halo 2: Anniversary comes out on 360, and even though Halo 4 is becoming a bit outdated, I'll stick with a dedicated Halo 4 testing lobby. That being said, you guys are obviously more experienced with things like this, so I'd love to get your guys help and advice with this. Never tried running a thing like this before.

I really like your set up. How long do you allocate per map? I know some maps probably take a few playthroughs to get a hang of, while others can be tested with very few tries. And in the posts you showed, I see you allocated spots, are those allocations for map authors or just you guys as hosts? These might be dumb questions, but yeah, any help or advice would be great. I'm just glad to know it's an idea that's could actually be useful.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Any map in any game should really be tested as many times as possible, with as many different variables as possible. The idea is that people should be testing their maps with different groups, and these lobbies were just one avenue to do so. The spots were always allocated to lobby attendees on a first-come, first-serve basis. Attendees would sign up to join the lobby, and then request slots. We gave two slots per person per lobby to allow people to test maps with various modes, or even to test two maps of theirs, in one lobby.

I think the most important thing to consider when working to create a testing lobby is to encourage a constructive environment for feedback. You talked a bit about this in your post. Discussing tests after each game in a lobby is great, but having a dedicated recap thread for text-based feedback is also really important.

GiantDwarf01

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Any map in any game should really be tested as many times as possible, with as many different variables as possible. The idea is that people should be testing their maps with different groups, and these lobbies were just one avenue to do so. The spots were always allocated to lobby attendees on a first-come, first-serve basis. Attendees would sign up to join the lobby, and then request slots. We gave two slots per person per lobby to allow people to test maps with various modes, or even to test two maps of theirs, in one lobby.

I think the most important thing to consider when working to create a testing lobby is to encourage a constructive environment for feedback. You talked a bit about this in your post. Discussing tests after each game in a lobby is great, but having a dedicated recap thread for text-based feedback is also really important.

OK, that makes sense. I was thinking of doing it like that in terms of slots, but rather than slots per person, it's slots per map. And for the first few times at least, rather than make a specific game type, base it more off player count and any game that could hold that number can be used. Do you think that could work or will it be too chaotic?

What I'm really hoping this'll turn out to be is a place for forgers of all levels, even beginners who have no real clue what they're doing. I know I have at least 2 maps that should work, but I have no idea how many people will make it work or if it'll become unbalanced at some point. Looking at your guys lobbies it looks like most people were experienced forgers. And I know for one am not anywhere near that level, and I'm sure others are too, but there's not a very good entry point that I know of for beginners without friends.

I guess the biggest issue right now is just trying to find people interested in playing. Any suggestions beyond just posting a lobby and hoping people are interested?

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Having a variety lobby to test maps of all sorts might be tricky. Many prefer not to mix core maps, infection maps, mini games, etc. all together, especially while testing. Many specialize in a specific area, and while one might be thoroughly knowledgeable about core maps, their knowledge of infection maps might be severely limited. Still, if you can create a group of open-minded guys who simply enjoy playing together and testing each others's maps, you can overcome this issue.

As far as attracting to players to your lobby, I can give you a few bits of advice. Keep in mind, however, that the majority of Halo players are incredibly dissatisfied with Halo 4 and will be distancing themselves from the game once The Master Chief Collection releases. That aside, I can offer a few suggestions on how to attract players. The first is to ensure your lobby write-ups are attractive. Judging by your write-up in this thread, I doubt you'll have any problems here. Members on the site really respect hosts whose lobby write-ups are detailed and well-organized. Having bold headings for important things like how to join and how to claim testing slots always helps. My next suggestion is to interact with other members as much as possible. If people know you, they will be more likely to join your lobbies. The shoutbox can be a great way to interact with other members, just don't feed the trolls. Joining other host's lobbies and developing relationships with other members before hosting your own lobby will yield better results, as other people will already be familiar with you when they see your lobby posts. The last thing that will help you attract members to your lobbies is the new host reputation system we are currently working on implementing. This system will make it clear which hosts are hosting enjoyable lobbies, and will make future lobbies by these hosts stand out on the upcoming games tab.

GiantDwarf01

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Having a variety lobby to test maps of all sorts might be tricky. Many prefer not to mix core maps, infection maps, mini games, etc. all together, especially while testing. Many specialize in a specific area, and while one might be thoroughly knowledgeable about core maps, their knowledge of infection maps might be severely limited. Still, if you can create a group of open-minded guys who simply enjoy playing together and testing each others's maps, you can overcome this issue.

As far as attracting to players to your lobby, I can give you a few bits of advice. Keep in mind, however, that the majority of Halo players are incredibly dissatisfied with Halo 4 and will be distancing themselves from the game once The Master Chief Collection releases. That aside, I can offer a few suggestions on how to attract players. The first is to ensure your lobby write-ups are attractive. Judging by your write-up in this thread, I doubt you'll have any problems here. Members on the site really respect hosts whose lobby write-ups are detailed and well-organized. Having bold headings for important things like how to join and how to claim testing slots always helps. My next suggestion is to interact with other members as much as possible. If people know you, they will be more likely to join your lobbies. The shoutbox can be a great way to interact with other members, just don't feed the trolls. Joining other host's lobbies and developing relationships with other members before hosting your own lobby will yield better results, as other people will already be familiar with you when they see your lobby posts. The last thing that will help you attract members to your lobbies is the new host reputation system we are currently working on implementing. This system will make it clear which hosts are hosting enjoyable lobbies, and will make future lobbies by these hosts stand out on the upcoming games tab.

Hmm, alright. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait for the rep system. Sounds legit. So if mixing maps isn't the best diea, any advice on where to start? I'm mostly a minigame forger, but what type of map do people usually need to test?

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
If you like creating and playing mini games, that's a good place to start. Mini games need as much testing as any other map category. By all means, experiment with grouping maps of different categories together in your lobbies, I just can't guarantee it'll work.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Dedicated map testing lobbies is an idea I am totally behind. There were more of these lobbies in the past but the recent lack of testing lobbies is mainly due to the low population supporting Halo 4. You can assume there will be far more lobbies like the ones you describe in the near future and I will be more than happy to get involved with map testing. My attention is more focused on core maps however I intend to invest more in other map categories within Halo 2 Anniversary.

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
If you like creating and playing mini games, that's a good place to start. Mini games need as much testing as any other map category. By all means, experiment with grouping maps of different categories together in your lobbies, I just can't guarantee it'll work.
I may touch mini games in the future but I take too much pride in being a boring competitive player.

GiantDwarf01

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Alright cool, well I'll probably try out a mixed testing lobby sometime in the next week just to see how it goes. I as thinking maybe Tuesday night, but do you think that'll be enough time to get at least a few people interested?

Sgt x Slaphead

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Feb 18, 2013
Alright cool, well I'll probably try out a mixed testing lobby sometime in the next week just to see how it goes. I as thinking maybe Tuesday night, but do you think that'll be enough time to get at least a few people interested?
I think we should do it this weekend. You would be surprised how quickly you can get a lobby together as long as the word gets out.

GiantDwarf01

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
I think we should do it this weekend. You would be surprised how quickly you can get a lobby together as long as the word gets out.
Alright, sounds good. I can either do tomorrow sometime between 10 am and 2 pm, or Sunday pretty much any time (providing I leave enough time to write my paper... yay procrastination!)