International Food Thread

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
Hey guys, I've been wanting to share some german special dishes including recipes so you can test them out on your own. I'd really like you to add recipes of typical dishes of your region as well so i can try them all out :D so if you post something make sure it has the recipe in it, a picture and make sure that we can actually buy all of the ingredients:

German Currywurst (Curry sausage)

Anyone that has been to a German city, particularly Berlin, will know that you can’t walk a block without finding an Imbiss (food stand or cart) or pub, that serves Currywurst. It is the best fast food, that only requires a plastic toothpick to eat. And it is also super easy to make at home.
To make this authentic in appearance and taste, knockwurst is the best to use. However, I have made it with hot dogs to great effect. As a German vegetarian recipe option, why not try soy dogs? The typical side dish to serve this with is french fries, or Pommes. I make my own, but you could also buy bagged for an even quicker meal.
Difficulty: easy.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes.
Portions: 4.
Ingredients:
currywurst_pommes-150x150.jpg
  • 1 package of sausages
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/2 – 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Preparation:
  1. Place butter or margarine in medium saucepan and melt over medium heat.
  2. Slice links in rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Place rounds into pan and brown, stirring often.
  3. Stir in sauce. Add in all seasonings and mix well.
  4. Lower heat to medium-low, cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  5. Check flavor and add curry at your discretion. Lower temperature and simmer for 20 minutes more.
  6. Serve with french fries on the side, adding enough sauce to dip fries. You may also sprinkle some curry onto the wurst for garnish.

Reactions: FREEDOM COBRA

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
Well you know what I like?

American Toast!

toast.jpg

How to make:
  • Put Bread in the Toaster
  • Take it out of the toast
  • Eat it

Reactions: Fuzzle

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Poutine - the most unhealthy/awesome food ever. I believe it originates from Canada, its very popular there

250px-Poutine.JPG

Recipe claims it serves four, but it only serves one Aaron...

1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1 (10.25 ounce) can beef gravy
5 medium potatoes, cut into fries
2 cups cheese curds

1. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). While the oil is heating, you can begin to warm your gravy.
2. Place the fries into the hot oil, and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes. Make the fries in batches if necessary to allow them room to move a little in the oil. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
3. Place the fries on a serving platter, and sprinkle the cheese over them. Ladle gravy over the fries and cheese, and serve immediately.

evergreen948

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Sydney, Straya
image.jpg

The Snag (Australian Sausage)
Ingredients/Equipment:
- Sausage
- Barby
- Tongs

Steps:
1)Be a true Australian
2)If you follow step 1), you already know what to do
3)Eat at a family BBQ and share 'em with your mates
Best served with a bottle of VB and a couple of steaks

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
479_100_andy_post_food_photography_grilled_cheese_sandwich.jpg

Alright, so this next tutorial will tell you how to make the even more complicated then toast (Can you believe that? Something harder to make then toast!), the GRILLED CHEESE.

• Put Butter on one side of each slice of bread
  • Put cheese in the middle of the breads, on the sides without butter
  • Put dat sammich on the pan
  • Put the pan on top of da hot oven top
  • Do some flippity floppitys on that sammich
  • Put in on a plate
  • Stare at it for a minute, while you look for your TV remote
  • Find the TV remote
  • Turn on Teletubbies
  • Eat dat grilled chesse

Reactions: Buddy and Fuzzle

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Stroopwafels

33086836_f823711ac4.jpg

A stroopwafel (English translation: syrup waffle, treacle waffle or caramel waffle) is a waffle made from two thin layers of baked batter with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle.They were first made in Gouda in the Netherlands, in 1784. Large versions are sold in the streets as a snack.
Source: Wiki

Ingredients:
Ingredients:
For The Wafles:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water

For The Filling:
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1/2 cup finely ground hazelnuts, optional*
Instructions:
Preheat pizzelle iron.

To Make Wafels:
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
Cut one (1) cup of the butter into the flour. Mix in the sugar, cinnamon, eggs and yeast mixture. Mix well and set aside to rise for 30 to 60 minutes. Roll dough into 12 small balls, squeeze each ball into the preheated pizzelle iron and bake for about 30 seconds. Cut the wafels into two thin wafels and spread with filling.

To Make Filling:
In a saucepan boil the brown sugar, the remaing one cup of the butter, cinnamon, and dark corn syrup until it reaches the soft ball stage (234-240 degrees F 112 -115 degrees C). Stir in ground hazelnuts at this point, if using.

To Assemble:
Cut each wafel into two (2) thin wafels and spread with filling. Repeat this process until all the filling is used.

Makes 12 servings.

*Note: If using hazelnuts, remove skin, if possible. Grind hazelnuts in a food processor until they are ground to a fine powder.

Tip: Try eating your stroopwafel by resting it over a warm cup of coffee or tea...the steam will warm these up just right.

Source: http://www.food.com/recipe/stroopwafels-143903

Honestly I haven't tried making them myself, but I can tell you that if you were to fail, you can always still buy a bag or box at your local supermarket.
Either way, this Dutch favorite is highly recommended !

Poutine - the most unhealthy/awesome food ever. I believe it originates from Canada, its very popular there

250px-Poutine.JPG

Recipe claims it serves four, but it only serves one Aaron...

1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1 (10.25 ounce) can beef gravy
5 medium potatoes, cut into fries
2 cups cheese curds

1. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). While the oil is heating, you can begin to warm your gravy.
2. Place the fries into the hot oil, and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes. Make the fries in batches if necessary to allow them room to move a little in the oil. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
3. Place the fries on a serving platter, and sprinkle the cheese over them. Ladle gravy over the fries and cheese, and serve immediately.
i don't what looks more unhealthy, that or a hot pocket with 4 large pizzas, 20 big macs, and 125 bacon strips inside