Halo How to get good at Halo 4?

da bears1326

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Well when Halo 4 was released I played it aton and became very good at it or maybe my skill transfered from Reach. Then 2 weeks ago I got a copy of Forza Horizon and became addicted to that. After beating that game I am back to Halo but all my skill is gone and I honestly suck. What do you guys think I should do to improve? I always thought SWAT was a good learning tool because it forces headshot skill. Any other suggestions?

SwedishGuy

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Sweden
It's the same for me, if you leave Halo 4 for a couple of day you just loose all your skills. I think you will improve gradually, but try to stick with teamates, check your radar and try to be more aware of your surrounding until you regain your skills again.

Josh

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Australia
Swat doesn't really improve skill because when you go and play other gametypes you are used to Swat so much that you end up not doing very well. I'd suggest playing a gametyper that you like, if that is swat, yeah play swat. I did the same type of thing as you, I used to play the game a hell of a lot (up until the point I got to SR125) but then I stopped playing for about a month. When I got back on and started playing again I was terrible and wasn't used to the controls. So just play some team slayer or oddball to get you skills up then your all good.

Reactions: evergreen948

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
it's all about keeping your serious play a daily thing. sure a lot of the customs parties tend to be a bit more casual than MM and things of the like, so it can be difficult for recreational players, including myself, im probably pretty terrible right now for example.

friends of high skill on your friends list also helps, because when they take you into MM they suck in all the good players. It only takes a day or two to get back in the swing.

try wearing head phone if you don't they really help me turtle beach are the best
i have to say that a headset can only do so much, i have astros and im still at the upper tiers of mediocre at best

CoreKeyblade

Proficient
Jan 18, 2013
Britain, England
A good way to get back into the swing of things, is to just play your first few matches as if your one shot kill, this will help restrain yourself from making aggresive/stupid moves. Don't mistake me for telling you to camp, that IS NOT my aim. By all means go out, just check an area before moving, if you know a groups coming and you've for no backup, hide or run, if someone gets the first shot on you. Find cover. Playing defensively can work wonders for a persons k.d in there first few rusty games back where you'd be expected to go negative and being your team down. Hope this helped! :)

Reactions: TravisTheShadow

iForge

Qualified
Jan 16, 2013
K-mart
A good way to get back into the swing of things, is to just play your first few matches as if your one shot kill, this will help restrain yourself from making aggresive/stupid moves. Don't mistake me for telling you to camp, that IS NOT my aim. By all means go out, just check an area before moving, if you know a groups coming and you've for no backup, hide or run, if someone gets the first shot on you. Find cover. Playing defensively can work wonders for a persons k.d in there first few rusty games back where you'd be expected to go negative and being your team down. Hope this helped! :)
That's good advice, it's better to go "low and O" (few kills, 0 deaths) than to get a lot of kills and even more deaths. Also, SWAT ruins your skill in other playlists (at least it does in my experience) so I'd shy away from it for the most part, playing every few games is fine, but if you're like me, playing it non-stop for several days makes you horrible at other games.

mazdak26

Proficient
as a general thing to consider, you should specialize yourself as much as you can and play to that specialization. I like to emphasize mobility and versatility, so I choose infinite sprint and jetpack for mobility (which gets me across the map in two seconds), and DMR and Magnum for versatility. Then, I just make sure to pop in and out of battles as much as I can, and I have a really easy time playing.

Shanon

Proficient
Dec 31, 2012
California
I don't really see there being a strict method as to how someone can get better at a shooter. I guess the best advice I can give is to review your gameplay videos and study what you do in certain scenarios. Keep tabs of what tactics are wrking for you, as well as what scenarios you keep losing, and then build off of that. Decision making trumps aim and response time, but those don't hurt either.

Reactions: iForge

GatorLaid

Podcast Crew
Dec 29, 2012
Everyone has their own "skill cap" if you will. No matter how long you play you can only be so good. Some people are just naturally better at FPSs. Having said that, putting yourself up against tough competition and difficult situations will help you improve. Dunking on scrubs may feel good, but it won't necessarily make you good.

Reactions: iForge

da bears1326

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
thank you to everyone who answered. I have just played a ton recently over the weekend and my skill has returned. Thank you for all the advice it helped alot.