Competitive Horizon

Aug 11, 2014
Horizon (version 2014-08-20) - Our first attempt at a competitive 4v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur2UQzDWD-U
<Video showing off the map.

I apologize for the lack of structure. I'm new to this whole narrating thing and I haven't messed with theater in a while so I'm a bit of a choppy cameraman. I was also rushed to get the video out. Took me about two hours to get my cap card working and I needed to be in bed but wanted to get the video out, so I threw it together real fast. It'll give you a...

Read more about this map...

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
'Sup man, welcome to HC.

When people ask me about spawning, I tell them to think of each respawn point as a static number; 1 for example. As more respawn points are placed within vicinity of each other, those numbers begin adding up and ultimately contribute to the "weighting" of that particular vicinity. For example, if I placed five respawn points on the lower level of Horizon and two on the upper level, the weighting would be 5 and 2 respectively. The higher the number, the higher the chance of a player spawning.

That's all pretty obvious, though (more respawns = higher chance of spawning). The reason for explaining them like that is because things get a little more complicated with respawns zones. A simple explanation is that respawn zones add an "automatic" weighting to the respawns within their radius. If I were to place an "anti-respawn" zone around the previously mentioned five respawn points, the weighting that those respawns accumulated would decrease by a certain increment. The same applies to other respawn zones, but their effects are all different. I don't know the exact number that each respawn zone increases/descreases the weight, but you could find all that stuff here.

Since your map only supports Slayer, you honestly shouldn't have to worry about the complicated side of spawning, though. Just make sure the distribution of respawns in even between the two floor and that they are placed in well structured areas.

I can't say much about the weapons because that all depends on the design.

Best of luck, man! It's always nice to see some more competitive forgers.

Reactions: Mr Bouncerverse

a Chunk

Master
Nov 14, 2013
First, perhaps you'll be an exception to this rule, but people generally make several bad competitive maps before they make anything decent. Try not to get discouraged as you learn.

Second, I just re-posted a series of articles on the fundamentals of forging a good competitive map. You can check it out HERE (beware, it's a lot to take in if your truly new to this...and it only scratches the surface). Additionally, you may find more of interest in the Write Ups, Tools and Tutorials thread.

Some basic feedback regarding your map...
- Instead of placing objects in the middle of an open area on a flat level to break up lines of sight, try to incorporate elevation changes within each level.
- When an upper level completely overlaps a lower level, it renders the lower level almost useless. Try to maintain multiple levels while reducing the amount of overlap.

Good luck!

Aug 11, 2014
Here's a video I made that could help you.

Ah man, I have to do math??? Haha, thanks, this will be very handy in the future.

First, perhaps you'll be an exception to this rule, but people generally make several bad competitive maps before they make anything decent. Try not to get discouraged as you learn.

Second, I just re-posted a series of articles on the fundamentals of forging a good competitive map. You can check it out HERE (beware, it's a lot to take in if your truly new to this...and it only scratches the surface). Additionally, you may find more of interest in the Write Ups, Tools and Tutorials thread.

Some basic feedback regarding your map...
- Instead of placing objects in the middle of an open area on a flat level to break up lines of sight, try to incorporate elevation changes within each level.
- When an upper level completely overlaps a lower level, it renders the lower level almost useless. Try to maintain multiple levels while reducing the amount of overlap.

Good luck!
This is actually a coincidence, because I was just looking at your original post on Forge Fundamentals. Read about PDCA or whatever order it's in. Good stuff, and your new thread looks to be exactly what I've been looking for. I'll check it out later.

And that's interesting advice, I appreciate it.