Help me out, play a game!

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Edit: yesterday I saw my mark for this project. Turns out I was awarded 67/80 marks (top grade boundary) :D

Hey guys! Tedium here, asking for your help...

Half a year ago, I was assigned coursework for my Computing course at college. What we need to do is, show that we can design, develop and test software for a client.

Don't want to read the text? Click the picture and try out my game!

So here's what happens; everyone around me gets stuck in to these databases, lists, forms, boring shit. I sit there, hating the project we've been given. Then I realized something.

"They never told us what kind of software to make."

So I began thinking of crazy ideas that fit the specifications of the coursework, while also not confining me to the brain-numbing world of business. After giving up on a brief fantasy of making a robo-butler, I decided I'd make a game. Thing is, games are somewhat unprofessional. So, unfortunately, I had to settle for an educational game. Ick, I know. Anyway, I just finished the Alpha testing, and was hoping that all y'all could help me as Beta testers! It would only take a few seconds at least, but any more and in as much detail would be greatly appreciated. I *think* I've tested it pretty well, but if you could let me know if it's being stupid and telling you something like "uno means chicken", I'd be very grateful :D

Here's the link to the game.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
Well umm... I put Dia for Day, but apparently I have to write WITH the accent marks, which can be tough

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Tedium I'd try to code in a drop down menu or something like that for the accent marks.
Yeah... I could fix that... or I could leave it as a point of criticism. Of course, I've repeated that last sentence quite a few times so far this last week.

I really like how you have so many different languages, but Turkish? Why that one lol
By request from the client :)

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Why would you leave an imperfection in some code that is being graded....
Because we're being graded more on client interaction, SDLC and code structure more than we are functionality. We get a higher grade for acknowledging a flaw with "plans to fix it" than for actually fixing it.

Played a little bit, some of your words are wrong. For example, Tazas means a cup or a bowl, not Tea, which is Té.
Right, thanks. There's bound to be a lot wrong. Since the game doesn't actually need to work "well" all of the translations are brought to you by google translate :laugh: So... yeah.

Reactions: NinetysBorn

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Right, thanks. There's bound to be a lot wrong. Since the game doesn't actually need to work "well" all of the translations are brought to you by google translate :rofl: So... yeah.
I can understand that. I'm working on a game right now for a class, and while the gameplay sometimes makes me immensely ashamed after forging for so long it meets the requirements on a limited timeframe where I got in a little over my head. Good luck with your project, nothing went wrong in the software besides when I answered a question a little box would appear around the last answer bubble I chose.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I can understand that. I'm working on a game right now for a class, and while the gameplay sometimes makes me immensely ashamed after forging for so long it meets the requirements on a limited timeframe where I got in a little over my head. Good luck with your project, nothing went wrong in the software besides when I answered a question a little box would appear around the last answer bubble I chose.
I heard somewhere that if something non-critical goes wrong in software development, they just call it a "feature" :laugh: So I'm going to go ahead and say that that box around the answer is a feature :teddy:

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Wait. So you're telling me that you're supposed to do things incorrectly?

Just make it perfect and see what your professor says.
He'd probably give it top grades. But given that I can't do things perfectly, I'll have to settle for getting the grades as a realist :grumpy:

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
I like it Tedium! :y:
If possible, I'd recommend being able to spend the points on something. I know this might be a bit much lol but it would make it that much more bearable :D
Otherwise, the game played fine.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
I like it Tedium! :y:
If possible, I'd recommend being able to spend the points on something. I know this might be a bit much lol but it would make it that much more bearable :D
Otherwise, the game played fine.
I know exactly what you mean. Spending points would actually be really easy to do. What's hard is finding something to spend them on o_O Any ideas?

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
I know exactly what you mean. Spending points would actually be really easy to do. What's hard is finding something to spend them on o_O Any ideas?
Hmm. What if, depending on what language you chose, you could spend the points buying stuff at a cultural thrift shop!? For example:

Spanish: You could buy a sombrero, salsa dancing outfit, I :heart: Spain/ Mexico/ South America t-shirts, etc.
French: You could buy a beret, Eiffel Tower statue, I :heart: France/ Paris t-shirts, etc.

If you want more ideas for what could be bought at the store, I'd be happy to brainstorm some more ideas with you :y:

For a more simple approach, you can use the points to give you advantages in the game. For example:
100 points = a clue 500 points = delete an option 1,000 points = freezes stopwatch etc.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
Hmm. What if, depending on what language you chose, you could spend the points buying stuff at a cultural thrift shop!? For example:

Spanish: You could buy a sombrero, salsa dancing outfit, I :heart: Spain/ Mexico/ South America t-shirts, etc.
French: You could buy a beret, Eiffel Tower statue, I :heart: France/ Paris t-shirts, etc.

If you want more ideas for what could be bought at the store, I'd be happy to brainstorm some more ideas with you :y:

For a more simple approach, you can use the points to give you advantages in the game. For example:
100 points = a clue 500 points = delete an option 1,000 points = freezes stopwatch etc.

All great ideas, thanks! And if you have any more, I'll be sure to consider them!

Also, I've edited the OP with my grade :D

Reactions: NinetysBorn
Jan 16, 2013
I made a game called supermarket showdown when I was 16.... I may have to put in the hours to rebuild the game and the mini 2D game engine I made to run it as unfortunately the game's .FLA project file got formatted a long time ago.

Is a real shame as I had figured out a nice image based collision system :)

you can find the archive version here though. I still really love the idea and may return to it some day.