Halo: 30 or 60 FPS?

Should future Halo games run 30 or 60 FPS?

• Total voters

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
What's FPS? First person shooter? Well, yes. Feet per second? Close, but that's not it either. Flying pig stools... oh my. No friends, FPS stands for "frames per second". Video games create video simulations, and video is simply many pictures or "frames" put together in order. However many frames appear in the duration of one second is your FPS. In shooter games especially, there can be a huge difference between these two rates, 30 or 60. For Halo though, I was wondering which one is best. There's really no correct answer, but we'll look at what these things may affect.

Graphics: Running at a higher frame rate puts more stress on the game's graphics engine. In an event where frame rate needs to be preserved (60 FPS), the picture resolution is bound to drop. The game won't constantly look the same if that is the case. The other scenario would be a consistent reduction of quality, with a correspondingly consistent framerate. Either way, 30 FPS has potential for higher quality details

Fluidity: Assuming that both games run at optimal levels, 60 FPS can make a pretty big difference with some added realism and responsiveness compared to 30. Even if 60 drops down to around 50 it will still be better. 30 is fine in itself, but only when it is kept consistent. If there are issues that drop framerate outside of graphics, like connection or game issues, there is quite a lot of visual disruption. 20 frames looks jittery and doesn't do any game justice.

Weapon Variation: Putting in more frames allows for about two times more opportunities in the fire rates of weaponry. Below is a visual comparison of what I'm talking about. The horizontal axis represents delay frames, while the vertical represents the RPM of the weapons under the different frame rates:

2tbi.png
MKGqwD7.png

Since this is a logistical curve, the density of options is more leaning towards the lower RPM end than the higher one. However, it does give access to a few good ones like 1200, 720, 514, and 400. Maybe even 327 and 277. After these, 30 and 60 are not much different. The consistency of these fire rates is a bit debatable. If the FPS in a supposedly 60 game drops, the fire rates downgrade to a closer value in something like 30. If this happens occasionally, it's usually nor a problem - but it happening a lot would disrupt the mechanics of weapons set to those 60-only values. 30 FPS is probably not going to drop with regard to fire rate - however, when it does, some seriously strange stuff can happen.

Vote up at the top and comment on what you think!

Reactions: ShockBolt21

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
^I think not. Many xbone games run at 30.
But in my opinion, there's no difference between 30 and 60, but for the fact that 60 uses more processing power. I think that as long as Halo 5 won't have framerate drops, they should keep it at 30 and use the power they saved elsewhere.

Also, you make some nice points regarding the sacrifices that need to be made to reach 60 fps. I don't think that any of these sacrifices should be made to improve the game in a way that many people, such as myself, won't even notice.

Bottom line, long as they make sure that the frame rate does not drop below 30, there's no reason to make it 60.