Fun Facts Thread

mazdak26

Proficient
I got tired of not knowing many fun facts years ago, so I made a point to cram my head with the most useless knowledge I currently know.
Here's a few to get you started:

• Ring around the rosie is a reference to the black plague
The symptoms of the plague included a rosy red rash in the shape of a ring on the skin (Ring around the rosy). Pockets and pouches were filled with sweet smelling herbs ( or posies) which were carried due to the belief that the disease was transmitted by bad smells. The term "Ashes Ashes" refers to the cremation of the dead bodies! The death rate was over 60% and the plague was only halted by the Great Fire of London in 1666 which killed the rats which carried the disease which was transmitting via water sources. The English version of "Ring around the rosy" replaces Ashes with (A-tishoo, A-tishoo) as violent sneezing was another symptom of the disease.

• The placebo effect is so strong, it can make medicine do the opposite of what it's supposed to.
Once, a doctor decided to do a little experiment on placebos and decided that it would be a good idea to give two women with serious stomach viruses, one of whom was pregnant, a medicine that would actually lower the effectiveness of their immune systems and worsen the virus. Because the doctor presented the medicine in a positive manner (nothing else, he had to stick to a script), both women recovered fully. The placebo effect doesn't even need to be conveyed. Yellow and red sugar pills are significantly more helpful for treating depression than blue or purple pills (and almost as good as the real thing).
  • Plants can talk
Well, kind of. Even though they don't communicate, they do let out hypersonic sounds as a response to stimuli such as a knife coming close or being at really high altitudes.
  • There is a lake in Africa called lake Titicaca. That is a thing.
  • The needle rifle was a fully automatic weapon
  • Bruce lee's son died because he fired a blank into his forehead a joke, not know in would kill him at so close of a distance.

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
  • Chickens are thought to be descendants of dinosaurs :cool:
  • The snakes you see today are all descended from the unimaginable monsterous titanoba. This prehistoric snake lived 65 million years ago weighing 2500 pounds and measuring 48 feet long :eek:
  • Contrary to what most people believe, yes you can become addicted to marijuana :(
  • In 2007 Canada had 594 homicides. While USA had 16,929 homicides :eek:
  • The film Juice is the best movie ever, true fact :cool: lol
  • Over 2.5 million fleshlights have been sold worldwide :rolleyes:
  • Today about 20% of Americans get less than 6 hours of sleep on average :(

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
Aw forgot about that one :/ Definitely should have added that one up there seeing as I always remembered that one even as a kid. Lol well either way good post Panda as always :)
Of course!

Blue Whales are the largest animals known to exist (currently) and are one of the loudest. They can be heard from hundreds of miles away.

Reactions: gmail