Forge Isle... The way it should have been...

BlazeDillon

Proficient
Jan 25, 2013
Definitely would've been ideal. An outdoor concrete section that is 100% flat would be very appreciated as well. A perfect example of an area like this would be Sanbox from halo 3, without the guardians, so you can forge into and out of the dunes up until the wall.

reaper3bot0

Qualified
May 12, 2014
Laugh I would of just brought all the pieces of every forge canvas into one so we have the special pieces from each and every map canvas that was forgeable in halo 4 into forge island... then I would of also added sand pieces and dirt and rock pieces, also since there is a hard limit at 600 pieces I would remove budget completely and just have the hard limite 600 pieces. Probbally add water as well and opening and closing doors... You know the basics like back in quake 1.

Jan 29, 2013
Laugh I would of just brought all the pieces of every forge canvas into one so we have the special pieces from each and every map canvas that was forgeable in halo 4 into forge island... then I would of also added sand pieces and dirt and rock pieces, also since there is a hard limit at 600 pieces I would remove budget completely and just have the hard limite 600 pieces. Probbally add water as well and opening and closing doors... You know the basics like back in quake 1.

In an earlier segment I actually used clips of Ragnarok terrain and faded them onto Forge Island to demonstrate the effectiveness of what you are describing. Regardless, it looks like that is the direction that they had chosen already for Forge MCCH2A, so we will see how effective that will turn out to be.

As for your suggestion, to each his own, but I would not keep Forge Island because it was way too high over the water - it was a pillar, not an island. And I wouldn't use the palettes of any Forge 4 canvas, because none of the objects in any of the palettes really helps immerse players into the maps.

Reactions: Psychoduck

reaper3bot0

Qualified
May 12, 2014
Thats your job to meld the palettes together and create a unique and interesting environment to immerse the players into the map.

And its about damn time if they actually are doing that in mcch2a but its highly doubtful.

Jan 29, 2013
That's simply not true. Immersion is the goal, but you can't get there if the tools you have won't enable you to get there. The palettes that Forge 4 canvases offered had too many problems, the chief of which is that the blocks had noise scribbled all over them.

Without cohesion, you cannot sustain immersion.

Without natural textures, you cannot sustain immersion.

Without obvious themes or architectures (even fantasy architectures) you cannot sustain immersion.

And as an aside, the video we just saw out of pax shows that in at least one palette the pieces clash. Just like in Ravine, there is a mixture of rusted dusty bridge pieces with pristine metallic forerunner pieces. Again, it will break immersion to have that clash spewed across our maps.

In all honesty, I was not impressed with the palette, even the terrain objects used to forge in they sky box. But I was impressed that they are improving forge in steps at least.