Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
ydjf.jpg

Holy shit, my sides. :rofl:

Apr 27, 2013
UK
I played this yesterday, in general I really liked it. The flood and human traits are balanced, the weapons and ammo on the map are well laid out, it looks really good aesthetically and it feels like a favela. I love the close combat gameplay and how, especially on the first staircase, they drop down on you, get killed, then almost instantly respawn ready to drop again.

But I have to say that at times it really isn't obvious where to go. It's fine up until after the first phase, where the humans jump onto rooftops. They are led right up to the top of the map and are then expected to jump down to the bottom of the map in the next phase. This is counter-intuitive and most of the players just stayed up there or got confused and ended up jumping onto other rooftops which had soft kills on them. Essentially the problem was that you have bounded the edges of the map with loads of soft kill zones instead of visible barriers. I'm assuming this is because the map looks nicer without high walls everywhere, but some players got really frustrated from moving into soft kills and not being able to figure out which direction they had to move to get back out of them, especially as the flood.

One last thing is that, with the concrete door in phase 2, about 4 of us smashed it down then one person got stuck inside (where there is another soft kill) because the 3 of us were trying to pile in, thinking it was the way forward to the next phase. He couldn't get back out and died from the killzone.

Reactions: REMkings

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
I played this yesterday, in general I really liked it. The flood and human traits are balanced, the weapons and ammo on the map are well laid out, it looks really good aesthetically and it feels like a favela. I love the close combat gameplay and how, especially on the first staircase, they drop down on you, get killed, then almost instantly respawn ready to drop again.

But I have to say that at times it really isn't obvious where to go. It's fine up until after the first phase, where the humans jump onto rooftops. They are led right up to the top of the map and are then expected to jump down to the bottom of the map in the next phase. This is counter-intuitive and most of the players just stayed up there or got confused and ended up jumping onto other rooftops which had soft kills on them. Essentially the problem was that you have bounded the edges of the map with loads of soft kill zones instead of visible barriers. I'm assuming this is because the map looks nicer without high walls everywhere, but some players got really frustrated from moving into soft kills and not being able to figure out which direction they had to move to get back out of them, especially as the flood.

One last thing is that, with the concrete door in phase 2, about 4 of us smashed it down then one person got stuck inside (where there is another soft kill) because the 3 of us were trying to pile in, thinking it was the way forward to the next phase. He couldn't get back out and died from the killzone.

Thank you for the kind words. Especially feedback like this is really helpful so I appreciate it a lot. While I personally don't feel like not knowing where to go in that part of the map, I do acknowledge that it's true that this map may require somewhat of a learning curve. However, I did intentionally use this design for the gangway because of multiple reasons:
1. To break up the sightlines in a not so much forced way;
2. To engross players into the typical roof style gameplay that fits with the map's theme;
3. To have a natural translation from plaza to garden;
4. Because indeed I wanted a pretty solution rather than a perhaps more obvious one.
I have to say though that if the people you were playing with really kept walking into soft kill zones, they must have either done something stupid or they were simply trying to break the map, because although the map may be somewhat confusing, it really isn't that hard trying to figure out where you should want to go. Especially after one round of playing.

The soft kill is annoying, I agree, but it was the only way from stopping people to camp in there and - again - after it goes wrong one time people will realize to keep it mind next time they're going in there.

Reactions: Rabid MidgetMan
Apr 27, 2013
UK
Thank you for the kind words. Especially feedback like this is really helpful so I appreciate it a lot. While I personally don't feel like not knowing where to go in that part of the map, I do acknowledge that it's true that this map may require somewhat of a learning curve. However, I did intentionally use this design for the gangway because of multiple reasons:
1. To break up the sightlines in a not so much forced way;
2. To engross players into the typical roof style gameplay that fits with the map's theme;
3. To have a natural translation from plaza to garden;
4. Because indeed I wanted a pretty solution rather than a perhaps more obvious one.
I have to say though that if the people you were playing with really kept walking into soft kill zones, they must have either done something stupid or they were simply trying to break the map, because although the map may be somewhat confusing, it really isn't that hard trying to figure out where you should want to go. Especially after one round of playing.

The soft kill is annoying, I agree, but it was the only way from stopping people to camp in there and - again - after it goes wrong one time people will realize to keep it mind next time they're going in there.

Thank you for taking this as intended, some people take offense from feedback like this. I agree with all you say here, the only suggestion i could give for fixing the problem of these soft kills without damaging the visuals would be invisible objects, but this would require a modded gametype and (as far as I know) their aren't any modded flood games which allow for invisible objects AND sprinting flood.