Map Preview Far from Eden

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Hi guys! Welcome to a preview of my latest project, called "Far from Eden"! This map used to be a project on Ravine but after the release of Forge Island I carried it over to the fresh new canvas. The map is mostly oriented on smaller lobby sizes, due to its smaller scale and more concentrated, vertical design.
As you may be aware of, there has been a Matchmaking update for Flood lately where the "Hivemind" gametype was implemented, which for the first time features Assault Rifles and Magnums off spawn rather than the usual Shotgun-Magnum combo, while you can gather more ammunition or even several new weapons by searching the area for any weapon ordnance.
Initially, I intended on making this map work with Shotgun gametypes because of its small size. However, ever since I started re-designing and building this map on Forge Island, I've been trying to keep in mind how things would work out with both Shotgun gametypes and with Hivemind. Although Hivemind has now become my main focal point, I will still try to keep that fast paced gameplay that people always seem to enjoy in Shotties variants.
The map is almost finished and ready for testing at this point. You might see some unfinished nooks and crannies in the pictures, but nothing too major.

Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think about the map down below!
pw7v.jpg
uknj.jpg
9odv.jpg
k0gn.jpg
fa3s.jpg
mbc0.jpg
w2zm.jpg
3gaj.jpg

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Looks interesting , is it based on a shanty town ?
Kind of. It's mostly meant to resemble an Arabian township of sorts, like you would see in games like Call of Duty. But it started out as a favela like place, and speaking of CoD; quite some people have actually stated that they thought it looked a lot like the map Favela from Modern Warfare.

But it really is what- or wherever you like it to be. The name of the map refers to the Garden of Eden, paradise on Earth until Adam and Eve were cast away. In this map though, you're pretty far from the definition of "paradise", hence "Far from Eden". ;)

Reactions: Shadow KryPTiiC

SOLIDSNAKEee

Salad Snack
Jan 26, 2013
Ireland
Kind of. It's mostly meant to resemble an Arabian township of sorts, like you would see in games like Call of Duty. But it started out as a favela like place, and speaking of CoD; quite some people have actually stated that they thought it looked a lot like the map Favela from Modern Warfare.

But it really is what- or wherever you like it to be. The name of the map refers to the Garden of Eden, paradise on Earth until Adam and Eve were cast away. In this map though, you're pretty far from the definition of "paradise", hence "Far from Eden". ;)

I couldn't quite quote the name , but yeah it does have a resemblance to Favela from MW2. Aside from that though the map looks like there are alot of open and enclosed spaces allowing for some tight choke points for both flood and humans.

The name is also quite good , so here is a imaginary cookie ( : : ) :y:.

Reactions: REMkings

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
I couldn't quite quote the name , but yeah it does have a resemblance to Favela from MW2. Aside from that though the map looks like there are alot of open and enclosed spaces allowing for some tight choke points for both flood and humans.

The name is also quite good , so here is a imaginary cookie ( : : ) :y:.
Thanks, I like cookie :D

Reactions: SOLIDSNAKEee

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
I am sorry guys, for I have decided to rebuild most of the map. :(

Do not worry though; I will keep the main feel of the map the same and the coolest looking buildings will remain. I just had to make this hard decision based on the way the gameplay mechanics work on this map. In order to make it a more balanced map, I have to create a new design. I want to make the map perform in a Matchmaking worthy way and therefore I have to make sure the gameplay is 100% solid, even if that means I have to delete stuff I actually really like.

Jcannon95

Expert
Mar 29, 2013
United Kingdom
I am sorry guys, for I have decided to rebuild most of the map. :(

Do not worry though; I will keep the main feel of the map the same and the coolest looking buildings will remain. I just had to make this hard decision based on the way the gameplay mechanics work on this map. In order to make it a more balanced map, I have to create a new design. I want to make the map perform in a Matchmaking worthy way and therefore I have to make sure the gameplay is 100% solid, even if that means I have to delete stuff I actually really like.

You don't need to apologize because your thinking of what's best for the map, Personally id rather play a map that feels good and plays well then a map that's only aesthetically pleasing so keep us posted on the map because the first design looked good and the second can only be better ;) :y:

Reactions: REMkings

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
I'm loving these changes. I found the map a lot easier to grasp; the jump ups were easier and more obvious and the layout is simpler. You have solved the problem of the roofs being too powerful too. I felt less like a sitting duck when moving around ground level. Can't wait to play it again.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Glad you guys liked the changes and/or the map in general. But you all have to explain to me where people could safely get out of the map.

Demonik89

Master
Jul 5, 2013
Was another great map REM I already told you how I felt about the map and what it needed it was fun and easy to grasp and play did another amazing job REM.