Core Expansion

Foxy Papa Smurf

Proficient
Mar 21, 2015
Expansion (version 2016-02-22) - A scaled Halo 5 version of the Halo 2 map, Elongation.

Due to the overwhelming response of my Terminal remake, I decided to go back into classic Halo and pick another fan-favorite to recreate. It may seem easy to select a map to remake in Halo 5, but since the gameplay mechanics are so different, I had to choose a map that I felt would function mechanically with minimal changes needing to be made. Elongation is the map I selected and even with its highly vertical gameplay, I still needed to make extensive modifications. Although changes were...

Read more about this map...

Last edited:

Foxy Papa Smurf

Proficient
Mar 21, 2015
Ever heard of original maps m8?
Well, considering my Terminal remake showcase had over 30,000 views and was the top trending subreddit on /r/forge /r/halo and /r/xbox, I'd say it's pretty apparent that people enjoy them. By the way, I've made an original map in Halo 5 and have another one in the works so..... yeah....

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Yeah you don't need to sell anything to me man. No fucks are given here about the popularity of your video (It was a nice Terminal remake though, I'll admit). And don't take this the wrong way but your video could have a million views and it won't change the fact that remakes are the only things you seem capable of making in Halo 5. I kinda liked some of your stuff in H2A (the one with the pirate ship and the competitive map in the sky) and I thought you had potential. I've seen the original map you made in Halo 5 and I think you could use some competitive map lessons from people like Duck, Demption, or Xandrith (depending on what type of competitive map you like to forge)

Quite a shame if someone gave up on originality because he wasn't being recognized enough for it. But hey, if remakes are your passion to forge or whatever, feel free to make as many as you want (A Haven remake would be nice). I just figured I'll give you my two cents.

Reactions: Bibz

Foxy Papa Smurf

Proficient
Mar 21, 2015
Yeah you don't need to sell anything to me man. No fucks are given here about the popularity of your video (It was a nice Terminal remake though, I'll admit). And don't take this the wrong way but your video could have a million views and it won't change the fact that remakes are the only things you seem capable of making in Halo 5. I kinda liked some of your stuff in H2A (the one with the pirate ship and the competitive map in the sky) and I thought you had potential. I've seen the original map you made in Halo 5 and I think you could use some competitive map lessons from people like Duck, Demption, or Xandrith (depending on what type of competitive map you like to forge)

Quite a shame if someone gave up on originality because he wasn't being recognized enough for it. But hey, if remakes are your passion to forge or whatever, feel free to make as many as you want (A Haven remake would be nice). I just figured I'll give you my two cents.
While I'm always open to criticism it seems like a pretty crappy display of character to see someone else's hard work only offer up "Ever heard of original maps?" As a response. I'm sorry you don't approve of what I enjoy doing and what people very apparently seem to enjoy from me as a creator. I wondered why this site isn't as popular as ForgeHub but I think it's obvious that the atmosphere here is more destructive than constructive. I miss the old forge community. If you have something in the future actually worthwhile to contribute I'll be all ears. Until then I just ask that you don't try to tear people down because what they enjoy differs from what you do. Thanks man.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
While I'm always open to criticism it seems like a pretty crappy display of character to see someone else's hard work only offer up "Ever heard of original maps?" As a response. I'm sorry you don't approve of what I enjoy doing and what people very apparently seem to enjoy from me as a creator. I wondered why this site isn't as popular as ForgeHub but I think it's obvious that the atmosphere here is more destructive than constructive. I miss the old forge community. If you have something in the future actually worthwhile to contribute I'll be all ears. Until then I just ask that you don't try to tear people down because what they enjoy differs from what you do. Thanks man.
bruh. I'm not trying to step on your toes hard here (just a little bit). I only wanted to see more original maps from someone who seems like he has potential to make them. You're not the first one to receive this treatment. Not sure if you've heard of them but forgers like Resivore (remake addict) or Buddy Jumps (Jumping map addict) are also criticized by others for making either too many remakes and too many jump maps. However, they've also proved that they're capable of making good, original maps.

But like I said, if remakes are what you want to make (and you appear to be quite good at making them), then by all means, go crazy.

I wondered why this site isn't as popular as ForgeHub but I think it's obvious that the atmosphere here is more destructive than constructive. I miss the old forge community.
Hahaha you must be new here. Have you seen how bad it can get at ForgeHub? Have you seen the "old forge community's" harsh criticism? You think my comment was "destructive". Quite far from it actually. If you're gonna survive in the competitive forge map community, you should be able to stomach more than that.

P.S. ForgeHub is more popular because of the initial advertising it got from Forge Labs and because the ForgeHub YouTube channel is constantly uploading quality videos, gaining subscribers, and directing those subscribers to the site.

If you have something in the future actually worthwhile to contribute I'll be all ears. Until then I just ask that you don't try to tear people down because what they enjoy differs from what you do.
If you know what I do (or at least used to do) around the forums, then you should know that I do have feedback to offer to people's maps (I'm part of the Review Crew ffs). I don't really give feedback to the design of a remake though. If ever, I'll just mention if the map has any technical problems in spawning, aesthetics, etc. I know how hard it can get nowadays to get proper feedback on original maps so when you decide to make an original map again, let me know. Maybe I could help you out if I have the time.

And I wasn't trying to tear you down with my previous comment, I was trying to give you a reality check. Although, rereading my post makes me see how it can be confused with flaming. My bad there.

Foxy Papa Smurf

Proficient
Mar 21, 2015
bruh. I'm not trying to step on your toes hard here (just a little bit). I only wanted to see more original maps from someone who seems like he has potential to make them. You're not the first one to receive this treatment. Not sure if you've heard of them but forgers like Resivore (remake addict) or Buddy Jumps (Jumping map addict) are also criticized by others for making either too many remakes and too many jump maps. However, they've also proved that they're capable of making good, original maps.

But like I said, if remakes are what you want to make (and you appear to be quite good at making them), then by all means, go crazy.

Hahaha you must be new here. Have you seen how bad it can get at ForgeHub? Have you seen the "old forge community's" harsh criticism? You think my comment was "destructive". Quite far from it actually. If you're gonna survive in the competitive forge map community, you should be able to stomach more than that.

P.S. ForgeHub is more popular because of the initial advertising it got from Forge Labs and because the ForgeHub YouTube channel is constantly uploading quality videos, gaining subscribers, and directing those subscribers to the site.

If you know what I do (or at least used to do) around the forums, then you should know that I do have feedback to offer to people's maps (I'm part of the Review Crew ffs). I don't really give feedback to the design of a remake though. If ever, I'll just mention if the map has any technical problems in spawning, aesthetics, etc. I know how hard it can get nowadays to get proper feedback on original maps so when you decide to make an original map again, let me know. Maybe I could help you out if I have the time.

And I wasn't trying to tear you down with my previous comment, I was trying to give you a reality check. Although, rereading my post makes me see how it can be confused with flaming. My bad there.
Damn. Im already way more invested in this convo than I care to be. It's cool man.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Can we stand in a circle, hold hands, and sing songs now? :)

To contribute my two cents to this conversation, I can see both sides. While Zandril's comments may have appeared rather blunt, I do agree with his sentiments on remakes. Right now, this community has a serious addiction to remakes. This is a shame because it's time that talented forgers could be putting towards creating new designs. Remakes from past games also consistently play quite differently, and often not as well as, the originals simply because Halo 5 is so fundamentally different from its predecessors in so many ways.

Now, this is not to discredit the efforts of those creating remakes. Smurf, I commended your work on Station 7 already and I also admire the talent of other forgers like WyvernZu. I simply believe that this talent could be better used to create original designs. Remakes are also getting substantially more attention than original maps on outlets like YouTube, Reddit, etc. regardless of quality. At the end of the day, you should make whatever kinds of maps you want, but you also need to be willing to receive criticism, whether that's here or on ForgeHub.

Also, for the record, this site had been consistently more active than ForgeHub since its initial announcement up until December when Halo 5's forge was released. ForgeHub has recently overtaken this site in popularity due to their larger emphasis on forge, the support of their YouTube channel (screw those guys), and the fact that they're actually pumping quite a bit of money into developing their map database and providing contest prizes. Both communities can be friendly, but also quite critical at times.

Last edited:

Foxy Papa Smurf

Proficient
Mar 21, 2015
Can we stand in a circle, hold hands, and sing songs now? :)

To contribute my two cents to this conversation, I can see both sides. While Zandri's comments may have appeared rather blunt, I do agree with his sentiments on remakes. Right not, this community has a serious addiction to remakes. This is a shame because it's time that talented forgers could be putting towards creating new designs. Remakes from past games also consistently play quite differently, and often not as well as, the originals simply because Halo 5 is so fundamentally different from its predecessors in so many ways.

Now, this is not to discredit the efforts of those creating remakes. Smurf, I commended your work on Station 7 already and I also admire the talent of other forgers like WyvernZu. I simply believe that this talent could be better used to create original designs. Remakes are also getting substantially more attention than original maps on outlets like YouTube, Reddit, etc. regardless of quality. At the end of the day, you should make whatever kinds of maps you want, but you also need to be willing to receive criticism, whether that's here or on ForgeHub.

Also, for the record, this site had been consistently more active than ForgeHub since its initial announcement up until December when Halo 5's forge was released. ForgeHub has recently overtaken this site in popularity due to their larger emphasis on forge, the support of their YouTube channel (screw those guys), and the fact that they're actually pumping quite a bit of money into developing their map database and providing contest prizes. Both communities can be friendly, but also quite critical at times.
We're cool. I overreacted and I'm sure Zandril didn't mean to be offensive. Honestly, remakes are what I'm good at, what I enjoy the most, and what people seem to like from me. It's not like I make remakes because I'm lazy either. If you see the amount of detail I go into you can easily see how it takes me twice as long to do a remake than to make an original. I make original maps too but yeah, most of my newer stuff has been remakes. I showcase original maps too if you've seen my YouTube channel. There are more talented forgers than myself out there who have original ideas and deserve the spotlight. Everyone is good something and no one is good at everything. The fact of the matter is, forge is here for everyone. If you want to make original competitive maps, remakes, mini games, scenic maps, or hell, spawn-point hentai if that's what you're in to. I'm just saying content should be viewed and evaluated for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

Reactions: Psychoduck