Dungeons and Dragons

pinohkio

Proficient
Dec 30, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
So? Who plays? Who has played? Who thinks it's lamer than Ultralord? And which version do you guys prefer?

Currently my friend is running a game based in Damara (a northern city in the Forgotten Realms), and it's going pretty well so far in my opinion as a player. If you guys are in the midst of any adventures, discuss below!

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
It sounds fun, despite the negative stigma, but I've never known anyone who plays it, so I've never really given it a shot. Raring to go though if someone has a set ^-^

Reactions: NinetysBorn

pinohkio

Proficient
Dec 30, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
I've kinda casually played it once, I liked it a lot actually. Role playing is fun because there's really no limits on creativity :p

Move to Gaming Discussion? Not sure if it fits there better.

I thought about posting this there, but I really couldn't decide. If you feel that it fits there then go ahead and move it if you want. I wish there was an easy way to play a tabletop game online though, because then we could rope Tedium into a game :D

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
i never got into D&D but i was very big into Rifts for a long time.

for those who don't know, Rifts is similar to D&D (pen and paper roleplaying) but the setting is post-apocalypse earth
after the leylines erupted (triggered by a nuclear war) a bunch of rifts to different dimensions opened up (a rift can happen where two lines cross)
so its basically this amazing hodgepodge of fantasy and scifi all in one. you've got dragons fighting mecha, etc. its good shit.
their damage system was a little weird but it can easily be modified.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK

for those who don't know, Rifts is similar to D&D (pen and paper roleplaying) but the setting is post-apocalypse earth
after the leylines erupted (triggered by a nuclear war) a bunch of rifts to different dimensions opened up (a rift can happen where two lines cross)
so its basically this amazing hodgepodge of fantasy and scifi all in one. you've got dragons fighting mecha, etc. its good shit.

That sounds gloriously fun.

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
i played a few quests of the Star Wars Roleplaying game and it was a ton of fun, specifically the droid quest we did, i got way into it too. it was a d20 system, and the character sheets were simple. then i was convinced to try the real thing.

Since i havent played in years, i'll just tell the great story of my first D&D quest:
i was an dark skinned elf named Kobe, the little guy had a basketball sized energy ball and everything, and i tried talking in character at all times. The DM wasn't too happy with that, i guess my kobe voice wasn't all that entertaining to everybody who wasn't me. I then got critted on our first mission, and using the Firefly role play crit sheet, my chest caved in and i died. I lasted 15 minutes after spending like an hour on that character sheet. I still think DM was just annoyed by my passion (and unintended racism). Bastard.

RIP Kobe

played a few more campaigns after that and i'm always looking for an excuse to whip out the dice.

we had a guy in the group who tried to convince us to play that every five seconds, he was kind of a fat turd so we ignored him.

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
lol chuck, that reminds of that Key & Peele D&D skit. "KANYE THE GIANT WALKS UP TO THE BAR AND ORDERS ALIZE"

pinohkio

Proficient
Dec 30, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
my chest caved in and i died. I lasted 15 minutes after spending like an hour on that character sheet.

I spent at least 2 days on a Cleric before. I had his story all fleshed out, why he didn't follow a conventional deity, why he brought with him a halberd instead of the regular mace/maul/hammer, why he wasn't really any good at the clerical bits of being a cleric.. All to be shredded (literally) by an improvised meat-grinder torcher device. I'd been left to check if it was safe, and with my DM being a bit of a prick he made me climb on the damned thing. An ensuing 1 on the roll caused me to lose my balance, swiftly becoming a pulpy mass of gunk.

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
So? Who plays? Who has played? Who thinks it's lamer than Ultralord? And which version do you guys prefer?

Currently my friend is running a game based in Damara (a northern city in the Forgotten Realms), and it's going pretty well so far in my opinion as a player. If you guys are in the midst of any adventures, discuss below!
I never played any of these, unfortunately. I'm willing to give it a try though under the right conditions. I kind of want to play Rifts now though instead :)

Hadokenchild

Proficient
Mar 6, 2013
I've GM'd Star Wars d20R before. The highlight of one campaign was after the mob battle, one of my players attempted to look down from a stone bridge to see if there was anything of value below. He crits the bed, and ends up falling over the edge bringing him to 2 health. Immediately following that, another player attempted the same thing, and rolled a 1 as well. This sent him toppling over the edge and landing on top of the now prone and barely conscious player, killing him. Good times, good times.

pinohkio

Proficient
Dec 30, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
Our party just got wiped. We had got to 9th level, and were trying to conduct some diplomacy with a Gnome, unfortunately our fighter lost his temper and tried to kick the bastard.. The Gnome stopped time (he was a level 19 Wizard) and bound us with unbreakable chains inside what was essentially a large bag of holding. We couldn't get out.

Reactions: Hadokenchild