Halo DMR fallen out of favor?

ptrpedro

Qualified
May 2, 2013
I stopped playing for a while due to things in life but I came back to play recently and realized that a lot less people use DMR now. Has there been a balance update?

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
I stopped playing for a while due to things in life but I came back to play recently and realized that a lot less people use DMR now. Has there been a balance update?

Well because the game is (sort of) balanced now!

Jan 22, 2013
The battle riffles really the go to for most people now, but in a long range shoot out dmr will murder a br unless the dmr user sucks.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
A more simplified version of how the Precisions compare now:
Short Range ---> Long Range
Carbine --> BR --> DMR --> LR
They all have relatively the same kill speeds, except the LR which is a good bit faster. The only reason you'll see the LR at the furthest extents of combat is because they nerfed the hip-fire mode to be weaker then all of the above.

MockKnizzle

Get Mockfucked
Dec 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
...but there were only 2 precision primaries 3 and Reach, instead of the 4 we have now. I'd say that the current sandbox as a whole is balanced better than either. In 3 the primaries were pretty evenly matched against each other, but dominated the AR. In Reach, the DMR was just flat-out the best like 90% of the time, with the NR and AR being somewhat closer together.

I feel like the current state of the H4 sandbox is right about where it should be. Each primary has a pretty clear niche, with the updated BR/Carbine being the short/mid range champions and the DMR/LR winning out at long range. I still hear people complaining that the DMR is overpowered sometimes, but I feel that those complaints are more so due to personal preference than a real game imbalance (at least since the update). The automatics fit in nicely now as well, and provide solid close-range firepower. The AR is even good out to nearly mid-range if you're accurate and have some trigger discipline.

FREEDOM COBRA

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
United States, Mississippi
...but there were only 2 precision primaries 3 and Reach, instead of the 4 we have now. I'd say that the current sandbox as a whole is balanced better than either. In 3 the primaries were pretty evenly matched against each other, but dominated the AR. In Reach, the DMR was just flat-out the best like 90% of the time, with the NR and AR being somewhat closer together.

I feel like the current state of the H4 sandbox is right about where it should be. Each primary has a pretty clear niche, with the updated BR/Carbine being the short/mid range champions and the DMR/LR winning out at long range. I still hear people complaining that the DMR is overpowered sometimes, but I feel that those complaints are more so due to personal preference than a real game imbalance (at least since the update). The automatics fit in nicely now as well, and provide solid close-range firepower. The AR is even good out to nearly mid-range if you're accurate and have some trigger discipline.

Agreed, now they just need to buff the Spartan Laser and the scattershot.

cam2602

Proficient
Apr 16, 2013
The dmr is still the best if you can hit headshots at close range other wise br/cc are best.
Long rage dmr trolls everything especially since it's easy to use even when moving.
I however never like to use it, I will if a game on ragnarok is really close but otherwise i dislike it for one reason, I hate the look of it, I know this is just my opinion but I think it lacks the elegance of most halo weapons, (apart from storm rifle which wins ugliest weapon ever.)if it looked more like br which is a beautiful gun i would probably use it most of the time.

Reactions: FREEDOM COBRA

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
i have noticed more people using the BR, including myself, but DMR's are still the most used it seems.

any time i use a DMR i kind of don't have to try, so that might have something to do with it.