Gaming Destiny Concept Art Analysis

evergreen948

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Sydney, Straya
So, the conference with bungie about destiny happened today, and left us with a CRAP TON of new (and old) concept art from destiny. After going through several weeks worth of pants, I eagerly searched the net for these pictures, and sure enough im here to give my first impressions and analysis on just a few of these images. Please feel free to discuss what you're favourite pieces of them are.

IMAGE 1:
image.jpg
Wow. I've always been a fan of jungles, and THIS is why. Just wow. I'm assuming the figures in the picture are the Awoken, one of the playable races announced at the talk. Im not sure what planet this is supposed to be located on, probably Earth or an unannounced location out of the solar system. If this looks as i hope it will in the game......

IMAGE 2:
image.jpg
Unfortunantly, I dont think giant toads are coming to this game. Like the tigerman, its a f cking awesome idea, but doesn't suit what destiny is. Or atleast, thats what Bungie had said. Anyway, this picture is AMAZING! Living in Australia, i know what toads look like, and this is still recognisable as a toad, while being changed to better suit the purpose of a war machine. Kudos to Bungie for adding a battletoads reference. Those stange goblin creatures are super cool too, and again, another great forest setting.

IMAGE 3:
image.jpg
Did I tell you I also like snow? Specifically space stations covered in snow with planets in the sky. The base in this picture really feel like the perfect place for an alien invasion. This is a great peice of art, though im starting to wonder if we've seen enough game spaces like this. Still, can't wait to play here.

evergreen948

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Sydney, Straya
IMAGE 4:
image.jpg
I swear I saw almost the exact same concept art for halo 4. Though this one looks way better. I'm really curious to what this one's gonna bring to the story, what this mysterious structure could be. My probably very inaccurate guess is it's some sort of portal for the monsters to travel. To why it has strangle "tentacles" I have no idea. Still, another wondrous piece from Bungie.

evergreen948

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Sydney, Straya
IMAGE 5:
image.jpg image.jpg
I'm 90% sure both of these pictures are human ships. The detail that has gone into these is phenomenal! It concerns me that Bungie is taking so much effort to perfect these concepts... I just hope that it doesn't detract from the game. If they are human ships, it wouldn't quite make sense, as Earth is basically fighting it's last, so having huge planetary ships at their disposal would feel a bit odd. In any case, ANOTHER few pictures that continue to impress me.

Wakko45

Kill-Steal Guru
Dec 30, 2012
IMAGE 5:
View attachment 2151 View attachment 2150
I'm 90% sure both of these pictures are human ships. The detail that has gone into these is phenomenal! It concerns me that Bungie is taking so much effort to perfect these concepts... I just hope that it doesn't detract from the game. If they are human ships, it wouldn't quite make sense, as Earth is basically fighting it's last, so having huge planetary ships at their disposal would feel a bit odd. In any case, ANOTHER few pictures that continue to impress me.
The way I understood the presentation they gave at the GDC, I believe these were early concept photos. They were trying to figure out what the humans' home base was going to be. I think they said they started out with big ships and space stations like these then they went in the direction of a big spherical space station. They then decided that a big spherical space station as a home base was being too sci-fi and not enough fantasy/mythic. So they turned the spherical space station into the Traveler and then put the human home base back on Earth as the city under the Traveler.

Reactions: evergreen948

Wakko45

Kill-Steal Guru
Dec 30, 2012
Another thing I picked up on and was wondering about when I was watching their GDC presentation.

Here is a picture of something that (to me) look like giant pyramid space ships. They joked that the game needed giant onyx pyramids but they said they couldn't go into any further detail about this yet.
DestinyPyramids.png

Later in the presentation they showed basic early sketches of the enemies and their pallets. If you look at the last one you might notice some big giant pyramid looking things in the sky. I wonder which race that could be? The first picture (red) is clearly the Vex. The second I want to say is of the Fallen because it looks like the person in the bottom right of the frame might have more than 2 arms, plus after seeing their Spider-Tank, maybe that means they use some cool vehicles (such as the one on the left of the frame). The third one looks to be the big Cabal. The fourth they discussed that the light coming from that one dude was his soul ripping from his body. This sounds a lot like what I would expect from the Space Zombies (The Hive). That leaves the last picture. The same pyramids as the above picture and another race. Perhaps another enemy race that hasn't been revealed yet?
DestinyPyramids2.png