Map Preview Codex

KarmaPolice07

Novice
Sep 26, 2013
[Minor Update: Map Testing was a great success. Got a lot of good feedback. I hope to incorporate some changes based on the feedback soon. Thanks again to everyone who played with us!]

Hello all! Here I present to you the map I plan on submitting to Halo Waypoint's Ricochet contest.

2c8e.jpg

Title: Codex
Designation: KPFI-06
Creator: KarmaPolice07

Codex is a relatively small, symmetrical 4v4 competitive map focused on Slayer and Ricochet gametypes. The center is quite open, but easily traversed. The bases are guarded with plenty of cover, but not impenetrable. For Ricochet there are opportunities for some fun goal throws. Visually, I was going for a Forerunner aesthetic.

Unfortunately, I have not yet had a chance to test the balance of this map (testing lobby is tonight).

The map is divided into the following colored sections: Red and Blue bases, Gold and Green side structures, and the neutral center with the lower pit and upper bridge.

Weapons on map consist of all three standard UNSC rifles, Magnum, Plasma Pistol, Carbine, and Storm Rifle. Currently the only Ordinance drops are Rocket and Sword.

You can find this map in my fileshare if you wish to check it out.

Screenshots:
vrxp.jpg

iugr.jpg

ctuo.jpg

0yez.jpg

bljj.jpg

hxwk.jpg

KarmaPolice07

Novice
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what you mean by lazy cover. Is it just that some of it is boring looking? Some unnecessary pieces were intentional; the floating pillars and the roofs over the bases. Besides those what struck you as unnecessary? And are they things that you think should be replaced or just removed?

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what you mean by lazy cover. Is it just that some of it is boring looking? Some unnecessary pieces were intentional; the floating pillars and the roofs over the bases. Besides those what struck you as unnecessary? And are they things that you think should be replaced or just removed?

Lazy cover does not mean boring looking pieces. It's a piece that's been placed only for the sake of cover. You need structural/multifunctional cover in a competitive map.

The sightline blockers have to be created with smart usage of walls, ramps, etc.

Look at this picture.

i4HNPANETDkhK.jpg

"Almost every rock, ramp, railing and artifact base that you see in this screen capture serves as a line of sight blocker. However, each piece has multiple functions. You can use them as cover, or something to jump on to gain a line of sight across the map, or geometry that helps you to out BR your opponent through head glitching, peak-shot and strafing. This is what I mean by structural cover. It's usable geometry. The idea is to empower the player - not restrict them.

When your map only consists of pillars that only serve as line of sight blockers that occupy dead space, huge amounts of segmentation occurs and you are forcing players to only use your geometry in one way. Forgers need to build maps for the mechanics of Halo." -Fated

As far as the unnecessary objects, I mean pieces that are detriment to movement on the map. You can see them in the 3rd and 4th screenshot.

Reactions: Skyward Shoe

KarmaPolice07

Novice
Sep 26, 2013
OK, I see what you mean. Thanks for elaborating. Already I can see a number of places to improve on both matters.

To be honest, I had been considering scrapping the map altogether because I could tell it needed improvement but wasn't sure how to pull it off. I wanted to put it out there for feedback and testing before I made that decision though, so that's why I posted it here.

Is there anything here you thought was done well? I know that sounds like a trap question, but if there's actually nothing good about it then I'd like to know. Sure I spent a lot of time on it, but as long as I learned something from the experience, it was time well spent.

Thanks for your input so far!

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
OK, I see what you mean. Thanks for elaborating. Already I can see a number of places to improve on both matters.

To be honest, I had been considering scrapping the map altogether because I could tell it needed improvement but wasn't sure how to pull it off. I wanted to put it out there for feedback and testing before I made that decision though, so that's why I posted it here.

Is there anything here you thought was done well? I know that sounds like a trap question, but if there's actually nothing good about it then I'd like to know. Sure I spent a lot of time on it, but as long as I learned something from the experience, it was time well spent.

Thanks for your input so far!

Well, I think the floating struts look cool. They add to the Forerunner-y feel of the map. But everything else looks very generic and rather mediocre.

That's a damn good attitude. Keep it up and you'll definitely get better at forging. It's up to you on what to do with your map. Scrap it or work on it, your choice.

If you do scrap it, the best thing to do is apply what you've learned on a new map.

KarmaPolice07

Novice
Sep 26, 2013
Well, I think the floating struts look cool. They add to the Forerunner-y feel of the map. But everything else looks very generic and rather mediocre.

That's a damn good attitude. Keep it up and you'll definitely get better at forging. It's up to you on what to do with your map. Scrap it or work on it, your choice.

If you do scrap it, the best thing to do is apply what you've learned on a new map.
Thanks for all your help and for your honesty. I think I'm going to try to apply some changes based on the feedback I've received from you and others before I give up on it. I don't think I'll have anything ready in time for the contest, but I can live with that. :)

theSpinCycle

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
Zandril seems to have hit the main points. I'd just like to add that the map could do with more colors.. be that through rocks, grass, or water. Plain white is generally disorienting to players, especially when they don't know the layout of your map.

KarmaPolice07

Novice
Sep 26, 2013
Zandril seems to have hit the main points. I'd just like to add that the map could do with more colors.. be that through rocks, grass, or water. Plain white is generally disorienting to players, especially when they don't know the layout of your map.
I agree; and thanks for the input. It turned out a little bland in spite of activating colors in every section of the map, with the exception of the center area.

I intentionally left out natural pieces this time. I even built the map way at the top of the canvas so the islands wouldn't be easily visible. I have played around with natural objects before on other maps. I love how well they blend together and allow you to make some unique shapes.

Someone recently showed me how to use base shields to inject some more color into a map. I'm gonna be playing around with that too.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I agree; and thanks for the input. It turned out a little bland in spite of activating colors in every section of the map, with the exception of the center area.

I intentionally left out natural pieces this time. I even built the map way at the top of the canvas so the islands wouldn't be easily visible. I have played around with natural objects before on other maps. I love how well they blend together and allow you to make some unique shapes.

Someone recently showed me how to use base shields to inject some more color into a map. I'm gonna be playing around with that too.

I wouldn't use the Base shields. They mess with the reticle of players. Other than coloring the pieces themselves, I suggest using an Extraction cylinder then coloring it. They're pretty and they're cheap.

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Yo, I checked this out yesterday. My thoughts are largely the same as Spin and Zandril's, but I'd like to talk with you about a couple of things in game if you have the chance later today or tomorrow.

KarmaPolice07

Novice
Sep 26, 2013
I started building a whole new version of this map based on all the feedback I have received so far. After trying to incorporate some changes on the current version I found it much easier to focus by just starting clean.

I wouldn't use the Base shields. They mess with the reticle of players. Other than coloring the pieces themselves, I suggest using an Extraction cylinder then coloring it. They're pretty and they're cheap.
Aw, man. Too bad about the shields. How exactly do they effect the reticle? I have played around with the extraction cylinders. I'll have to give them more attention from here on.

Yo, I checked this out yesterday. My thoughts are largely the same as Spin and Zandril's, but I'd like to talk with you about a couple of things in game if you have the chance later today or tomorrow.
There's a small chance I could be on after 10PM EST tonight. Otherwise, you should be able to catch me around 11AM or 11PM most days. Just send me a message on XBL and if I don't respond I'm either in a party or offline.