Behavior in Custom Game Lobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
I said this last time I came here. and i'm surprised it continues, but yeah, don't rage at ragers raging about rage inducing situations that are causing them to rage, because we rage to vent our rage, cause if we didn't vent our rage, the pent up rage would explode in a bigger rage which would cause more rage until the rage consumes you with rage
Dear God, so many "rage" words...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I've seen this thread floating around for a while now, but never bothered to take a look at it. For some reason, I imagined there might be some discussion about behavior in custom lobbies going on here. Clearly, I was mistaken. While there are some good posts here, they're buried by so much childish nonsense that you can barely get anything from them. Insults, necrobumping, spam, etc. If anyone wants to have a mature chat about people's behavior in custom lobbies, be my guest. However, be sure to do so without wearing your own ass as a hat.

Reactions: Player

Darkrain491

Qualified
Jan 10, 2014
Scotland
I've seen this thread floating around for a while now, but never bothered to take a look at it. For some reason, I imagined there might be some discussion about behavior in custom lobbies going on here. Clearly, I was mistaken. While there are some good posts here, they're buried by so much childish nonsense that you can barely get anything from them. Insults, necrobumping, spam, etc. If anyone wants to have a mature chat about people's behavior in custom lobbies, be my guest. However, be sure to do so without wearing your own ass as a hat.
I put an intelligent response and I also put a little joke post after it got necroed, does this make me a bad person? :p

But, to add to intelligent posts, raging is certainaly different from outright singling out and insulting someone who pissed you off in a lobby. If someone is pissing you off, ask nicely for them to stop, if someone is venting anger, let them. How would like to be told to stop venting anger in a situation that is annoying you.

The psychology that goes into raging is simple, yet, how others react isn't. Some find it hilarious to listen too, whereas others agree in a less enraged manner. As a somewhat notorious rager, i can say I get annoyed for 4 main reasons:

The Gametype annoys me
The Map annoys me
Players over abuse flaws
When I'm off my game

Other things like lag or bugs are kind of universal, they are usually a shared rage cause, whereas everyone has their own, individual triggers. It's part of life. Because of this, you will NEVER eliminate, nor even curb, ragers in lobbies, the best you can do is not invite ragers to your lobbies, and then your left with the situation, whose worse? Ragers for raging, who are venting a human reaction, or you for oppressing their emotions, or singling them out for it, so to speak.

In the end, the whole base of telling a rager to calm down is adding fuel to a fire, but that does not by any means mean to quit doing what is causing them to rage and bowing to their demands, for that would be selfish of them. They maintain the right to leave, so if they stay, then it's clear it's just a surface reaction, and that they are willing to put up with it to see what happens next, just some of us cannot keep the rage bottled up, it has to be vented, or we will not be able to sit it out.

So to sum it up, let ragers rage, they maintain the right to leave if they cannot stand it, but you also maintain the right to leave if you cannot stand them, or mute them, which would somewhat nullify your point if you choose not to. The only solution is to either do what they are doing, which is sit it out, or mute them. simply bitching at a rager for raging when you have the power to mute or leave means you being a hypocrite.

I am using "you" in the 3rd person sense, not as a singled out meaning to the creator of the thread

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
We all get it, Rain. That entire essay you posted has been discussed.

Duck, wouldn't locking the thread just fix all this shit? You say there's insults, necrobuming, and spam. Aren't those against site rules? So why not just lock it? It'd be nicer than telling people this
be sure to do so without wearing your own ass as a hat.

I'm sure most of the people who have been a part of this dumb thread would rather have it locked anyway

Darkrain491

Qualified
Jan 10, 2014
Scotland
We all get it, Rain. That entire essay you posted has been discussed.

Duck, wouldn't locking the thread just fix all this shit? You say there's insults, necrobuming, and spam. Aren't those against site rules. So why not just lock it? It'd be nicer than telling people this
Fair enough, but i assure you, thats not an essay if im writing an essay :p

But yeah, please lock it, i am always tempted to post when i see a reply to this, and sometimes i cant help myself

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
The reason I did not lock the thread is because I believe that this is a topic which provides an opportunity for some good discussion. That opportunity may have been largely squandered, but preventing further discussion from taking place isn't necessary. With that said, I'll be sure to lock the thread if things do get out of hand again.

Darkrain491

Qualified
Jan 10, 2014
Scotland
The reason I did not lock the thread is because I believe that this is a topic which provides an opportunity for some good discussion. That opportunity may have been largely squandered, but preventing further discussion from taking place isn't necessary. With that said, I'll be sure to lock the thread if things do get out of hand again.

Good point

But I'm gonna do my best avoid this thread, cause i always go ott in terms of analysis

Greenh2

Master
Jan 10, 2013
Yeah, I also see a good discussion for this topic, but a good one hasn't come up. Either we are talking nonsense till we get to it, or a thread like this isn't ready to be discussed. We all have voices about this, but the true voice is how you say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.