Article - Overhyped Media

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Overhyped Media

So, in the suggestions thread, I asked for there to be an entirely new section for articles and reviews, but Insane disagreed, and said that if they get big he'll do it. So, I did a review on Crysis 3 before (http://halocustoms.com/threads/crysis-3.1975/), so I decided to do an article, and switch between both every once in a while. Today, I'm going to be touching a controversial issue here, and one that if I'm honest is way more apparent in video games, overhyped media.

There's been an explosion of video game popularity recently, because of the explosion of smart phones, it's become more and more socially acceptable to play video games, whether hard core or casual. And no amount of old people saying that games cause violence, will stop this, they will go down in history as those afraid people who tried to stop the next big thing, like how television and comics will destroy us. getting off topic, let's look at an example everyone reading this will be familiar with: Halo 4.

Many people disagreed with my opinions that BLOPS II had a better story than halo 4, and some of them held up quite good arguments, and I respect their opinions. However, I don't think anyone can deny that the amount of overhyping Halo 4 had was just ridiculous. Live action trailers, documentaries, interviews, ads on TV, ads on the web, award ceremonies the list goes on and on, everyone was saying how much of a great game this was, that I was left pretty disappointed with the premise from (what people made out to be) a near perfect game.

It all started with Microsoft's huge attempt to get sales on Halo 3, and I think that Halo 3 had the first ever live action trailer for a game right? Well Halo 3 was a huge success, so now everyone's caught the fever of live action trailers. They're everywhere, CGI trailers are just sort of expected outside of indy games, and I think some indy games are doing it now :grumpy: Corporate is using this to great advantage. It's safer to make a good game, rather than a great game, which is why we see more first person shooters via CoD. Now corporate is overhyping everything, it's ridiculous. We've all been fooled at least once in our gaming lives that a game will be awesome (*cough* Colonial *cough* Marines). I'm seeing billboards of GTA V, booth babes at E3, and 24 hour coverage of a launch event.

Okay, I think I've pretty much insulted most of the gaming developers and publishers by now, so I'll say that we at least have one (two! It's two I called it first!) consolations. A overhyped game doesn't make a bad game, just most of the time we get a disappointing game, and there are those games that live up to the hype, case in point Far Cry 3. However, the gaming industry isn't just in the wrong here obviously, I'm going to use an example here which might bring up bad memories, it gave me nightmares. No, it's not the Jurassic Park sequel possibility, it's Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

One of my favourite heroes was Indiana Jones, I loved the original trilogy, it was a great kids series full of action, story, and comedy. It's no surprise then to say that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a humongous disappointment, I'm not going into detail about what was wrong with it or I'll be ranting for pages. Instead I'm comparing it to the Last Crusade, that was my personal favourite of the franchise. Now the Last Crusade tried to sucker in new comers to the series and it did it quite well ... except for Marcus and Salah, but if it didn't have a balance then shit has hit the fan.

It was no where near as overhyped as today's media, despite it being a huge blockbuster. On the other hand I have that. It used another form of overyhyping, piggy backing on the franchise. Come one, 20 years after the Last Crusade everyone was overhyped, hell, it would have done only slightly less better at the box office had it only released the trailers. But nope, we got a shitty film clearly cashing in on the Indiana Jones license.

Overhyping has gotten to the point where we expect it, like Skyfall. Reviewers now have a common phrase 'it didn't live up to the hype.' That is a sign that overhyping has wormed it's way in as a common marketing tool that everyone knows about, but nobody notices. Honestly, I'm fed up with wading through the muck to get to the goodies (just like Fan Fiction), and the worst part is, this fad won't die out like 3D will. No, this is going to stick around for a while, because overhyping is still incognito the the general public, corporate is going to use this as a marketing tool for decades, maybe even centuries, unless global warming smites us all out though.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
I don't have a fully developed thought on this quite yet, but EVERY game goes through this series of trailers, interviews, awards, and ads, and whatnot. It's absolutely necessary to sell a game to market it properly, and I think if anything they under-marketed Halo 4 compared to previous titles. Think of a studio of usually something like 150 high-talent workers often working 80 hour weeks over a couple of years bringing a game from concept to completion -- they're going to want that title to sell as well as it possibly can. It's not something developers will ever just quietly do; just like it takes a LONG time to make a feature movie, they'll invest in marketing in order to get as many sales as they can. It's been like this since the beginning, you just were probably too young to really get it (like I was)

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
I don't have a fully developed thought on this quite yet, but EVERY game goes through this series of trailers, interviews, awards, and ads, and whatnot. It's absolutely necessary to sell a game to market it properly, and I think if anything they under-marketed Halo 4 compared to previous titles. Think of a studio of usually something like 150 high-talent workers often working 80 hour weeks over a couple of years bringing a game from concept to completion -- they're going to want that title to sell as well as it possibly can. It's not something developers will ever just quietly do; just like it takes a LONG time to make a feature movie, they'll invest in marketing in order to get as many sales as they can. It's been like this since the beginning, you just were probably too young to really get it (like I was)

I think people overhyped the game since the beginning, but not at a large a scale as this. The only people who would watch/read those would be gamers, and back then the gaming community is no where near as big as it is today, so it's still as frequent more much more efficient.
Also publishers tend to price a game higher with the more hype.

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Insane54 said:
It's been like this for really old games too, like Doom and Quake. The gaming community was still big, though not as big as it is now... also I think game prices are something set by Microsoft, they changed the price of a 360 game from 50 to 60 a couple years ago

It's been like this for old games as well? Wow, but I'm still not sold that overhyping is essential to sell a game.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
It's been like this for old games as well? Wow, but I'm still not sold that overhyping is essential to sell a game.
Have you heard of Nier? Demon's Souls? Bulletstorm? Psychonauts? These are all excellent games that had bad marketing, and nobody ended up hearing about them. If you subscribe to GameInformer, you might recognize it as a marketing scheme for GameStop. Basically, by using marketing schemes you're getting your name out there. I'm not convinced that the "large scale" works on games yet... but I don't have the numbers. Since companies keep doing it, I'm going to assume they're a profitable decision and they're not just throwing money at ads that don't bring in more money

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Insane54 said:
Have you heard of Nier? Demon's Souls? Bulletstorm? Psychonauts? These are all excellent games that had bad marketing, and nobody ended up hearing about them

Well, there's a difference between little to no marketing, and no overhyping. I played Psychonauts and it was incredible and I hope that Mojang will help make a sequel, I know that marketing is essential, but not with a ridiculous amount.

Insane54

Founder
Dec 23, 2012
New York, New York
www.halocustoms.com
Well, there's a difference between little to no marketing, and no overhyping. I played Psychonauts and it was incredible and I hope that Mojang will help make a sequel, I know that marketing is essential, but not with a ridiculous amount.
Psychonauts is the "well known" of those so it wasn't really a good example. But that said, it's all about marketing if you want to sell. Like I said, I'm not convinced TV ads and giant billboards are the way to advertise, but if they make it sell better, I say go for it. I'd rather see video game ads than more food/beauty/TV show ads

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Insane54 said:
Like I said, I'm not convinced TV ads and giant billboards are the way to advertise, but if they make it sell better, I say go for it. I'd rather see video game ads than more food/beauty/TV show ads

I can agree with that, I'm just afraid that publishers will turn this into chocolate (bite sized chunks, too much and we get used to it), so it's all about balance, and if there's a company I know they'll take advantage of is EA. They'd do anything to sell a game, case in point:

ea.comic.swag.072409-580px.jpg