Gaming Article - Do Video Games Cause Violence and what if they do/don't? (Yes for real)

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Whoa, I am touchy a very controversial issue here, and like many things I have an opinion on, there's just no black and white answer. I'm a gamer, just like every one of you yes. And I am sure that it is held deep to your heart that you don't want video games classified as banned because you'd have your favourite hobby swept away from under the rug. But you'd be going about it the wrong way, video games just don't cause violence fact, Obama should have just thrown that 2 million dollars out the window for all the results he's going to get back.

And even if video games caused violence, then they shouldn't be outright banned, that's fucking bullshit. Time and time again it's been proven in history that outright banning something won't fix it. When alcohol was banned for a short period in the 30s, the mafia moved in to illegally sell alcohol, and when a King found out that his soldiers were playing football instead of working, he banned football. So the soldiers revolted, and the King admitted defeat, and made football legal again.

So, why aren't video games violent? Look I'll be typing all day, so I'll just let Total Biscuit do the work, and I can get to the second part of this article.

See? It's utter crap because old people just look at the screen and say, "That's not art! Ban it!" And walk away :teddy:
Anyway, US gun laws should have another looksy, again they shouldn't ban guns (yeah right), just make them less accessible, less accessible as in an unstable mentally diseased individual can't get his hands on a rifle and start shooting school children.
Now, what I shall say is that developers and publishers aren't doing much to help the situation. Of course, video games aren't completely in the right here.

We've seen some dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb video games before (Manhunt), and it's not guaranteed that titties and guns will sell a game. Saints Row 2 was far superior to the third game, because the third tried to lean more heavily on dirty humour, yeah it was good but not because of the dirty jokes. And Manhunt, was just terrible and the developers stepped over the line, we can't just declare that video games can be as violent as movies, no. This has to be a slow methodical pace where video games will become acceptable, they've already become very common with Black Ops II making more money than any other individual entertainment work, and casual games are everywhere. (Also we need to wait for everyone over 50 to die).

It's only a matter of time before this happens (unless global warming smites us out I guess :p), and when it does it will only be a matter of time before we can establish video games as art, which it is currently evolving to become.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
We've seen some dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb video games before (Manhunt), and it's not guaranteed that titties and guns will sell a game. Saints Row 2 was far superior to the third game, because the third tried to lean more heavily on dirty humour, yeah it was good but not because of the dirty jokes. And Manhunt, was just terrible and the developers stepped over the line, we can't just declare that video games can be as violent as movies, no. This has to be a slow methodical pace where video games will become acceptable, they've already become very common with Black Ops II making more money than any other individual entertainment work, and casual games are everywhere. (Also we need to wait for everyone over 50 to die).

It's only a matter of time before this happens (unless global warming smites us out I guess :p), and when it does it will only be a matter of time before we can establish video games as art, which it is currently evolving to become.

Can we not have Silly games? We have Silly movies!
Its like a Comedy, rather than an action movie.

evergreen948

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Sydney, Straya
The way i see it, games aren't anything to do with violence UNLESS the person has past mental disorders or anger problems. Sure, games like postal 2 may offend pretty much everyone, but that wouldn't lead to people becoming violent unless they are affected by mental problems. Is not the game. Its who plays it.

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
The way i see it, games aren't anything to do with violence UNLESS the person has past mental disorders or anger problems. Sure, games like postal 2 may offend pretty much everyone, but that wouldn't lead to people becoming violent unless they are affected by mental problems. Is not the game. Its who plays it.
I thought you said Portal 2. I was like "WHHHHHAT?!?"

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
Hahah, that game does have some dark themes though...

Yeah, if someone tried to blame Portal 2 for school shootings, it would be almost as bad as the people who want to ban Pokemon because apparently it encourages kidnapping animals.

Tomtris said:
Can we not have Silly games? We have Silly movies!
Its like a Comedy, rather than an action movie.

We also have action movies, should we not make action video games? I like silly games like Saint's Row and Lollipop Chainsaw, they're just stupid fun, and it embraces that. It also makes a great change of pace from the FPS' and any realistic game.