Are there any modded maps that negate dynamic lighting?

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
I want to make a truly massive BTB map that uses distance as an engagement control more than structure and terrain as cover. I was thinking of two bases completely separated by a large ridge with two tunnel entrances on either side. The center ridge blocks sniper fire from base to base while three neutral buildings(top middle, two ends of the ridge) with incentives like vehicles, weapons, or objectives to stray from the compact tunnels. I think that with the predicted size that the map will definitely break dynamic lighting.

Please reply with a link and/or information, it will be greatly appreciated.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
To my knowledge, there is no such modded canvas. The only rick I know of to avoid dynamic lighting is to set all (or some) of your structure objects to not spawn at start, but rather to spawn a few seconds into the game (they'll spawn before the initial loadout camera is over). These objects will not have lighting generated on them, so perhaps you could work in a way to have one side of the map largely in shadow, and make the other side in the sun by not generating lighting on those items. You should be able to do this to enough objects that the objects which have lighitng generated on them won't be in large enough quantity to break the lighting engine. Zatherla's Foundry remake used this trick.

I must, however, warn you about creating a map segmented by distance rather than line of sight. This was a common theme among classic BTB maps, and to see why this does not work in Halo: Reach and Halo 4 you need look no further than Hemorrhage and Ragnarok respectively. The extreme range of the DMR and light rifle make segmentation by sheer distance almost impossible and also render the shorter-ranged precision weapons (the BR and carbine) almost entirely useless in comparison on these maps. I urge you to ensure your map is structurally segmented to avoid creating any sightlines which are so long that this issue comes into play.

Anyways, good luck with your map. I hope you find this information helpful.

Reactions: Kantalope

Kantalope

Master
Feb 24, 2013
Thanks man, I completely forgot about that trick! The map is actually for BR & AR start with no DMRs to be found, so other than snipers, I thinks sight-lines are covered.

Reactions: Psychoduck