What Are You Working On?

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Finished Vortex... ;D Here >>
That looks very well-done. I'll have to have a look around it in forge later.

I've been working on some visual updates to Artemis, the tournament BTB map I made with The Fated Fire. MockKnizzle helped a bit with this update. We focused on creating visual asymmetry to aid in player orientation without relying too heavily on cliches like red and blue lights and whatnot. Red siude now bares more exposed rock while blue is largely composed of ice. Hopefully the updated visuals will be well-received next time the map is played competitively.

Halo 5_ Forge 11_12_2016 1_03_56 PM.png

Halo 5_ Forge 11_12_2016 1_04_46 PM.png

Halo 5_ Forge 11_12_2016 1_05_02 PM.png

Reactions: MATCLAN
That looks very well-done. I'll have to have a look around it in forge later.

Thanks. I put a ton of hours into it. Wish I had more pieces!! Most went into landscaping.

I've been working on some visual updates to Artemis, the tournament BTB map I made with The Fated Fire. MockKnizzle helped a bit with this update. We focused on creating visual asymmetry to aid in player orientation without relying too heavily on cliches like red and blue lights and whatnot. Red siude now bares more exposed rock while blue is largely composed of ice. Hopefully the updated visuals will be well-received next time the map is played competitively.

Curious: who's doing the competitive BTB? I would hope they would be able to use the snow/bare identification for red/blue, since it's been being used for years to differentiate. Will bookmark, check out the map!

Edit: nvm, can't find it anywhere, must not be ready for public eyes?

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Thanks. I put a ton of hours into it. Wish I had more pieces!! Most went into landscaping.

Curious: who's doing the competitive BTB? I would hope they would be able to use the snow/bare identification for red/blue, since it's been being used for years to differentiate. Will bookmark, check out the map!

Edit: nvm, can't find it anywhere, must not be ready for public eyes?
The original version of the map had very, very utilitarian art. It was very easy to read and all of the geometry was strictly functional. So, with this update, it was a bit of a change. The geometry is still focused on function and the visual asymmetry does a great job of orienting players, but it's just not quite at the same level of visual function. The benefit, of course, is that the map now looks much better than it used to. Luckily, I think we've struck the right balance and there isn't anywhere that the art is negatively impacting gameplay.

The map is in my files. Here's a link if you want to check it out.

Also, I checked out your Vortex remake. I think you did a wonderful job of recreating the map's original theme. Good work.

The original version of the map had very, very utilitarian art. It was very easy to read and all of the geometry was strictly functional. So, with this update, it was a bit of a change. The geometry is still focused on function and the visual asymmetry does a great job of orienting players, but it's just not quite at the same level of visual function. The benefit, of course, is that the map now looks much better than it used to. Luckily, I think we've struck the right balance and there isn't anywhere that the art is negatively impacting gameplay.

The map is in my files. Here's a link if you want to check it out.

Also, I checked out your Vortex remake. I think you did a wonderful job of recreating the map's original theme. Good work.

Awesome, thanks, I will check out Artemis! Thanks also for checking out my map and feedback. You speak of art on Artemis, and I am really, REALLY working on trying to get a common look and theme throughout structures on my maps. I did not accomplish this on Vortex as I would have wished. But, I know in time if I keep at it I can get good at it.