What Are You Working On?

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
That sounds very ambitious and very cool, Alex. If it comes to it, you can always wait for the introduction of trigger volumes. I'd be a bit concerned about crashes and other bugs from using multiple pressure plates, but it's certainly possible in theory. I'd love to see your progress on this project as you make it.

Yevah

Qualified
Jan 17, 2016
Those steps set into the ground look awesome.
Thanks, it's my favorite part of the map.
Yevah, I definitely like the look you're going for. The curvy architecture and stairs leading under ground are neat.
I've put the map on the back burners the past few days. I've really been struggling with the bases, I have tried about 50 different bases. I feel like the best course of action would be to expand the map and make it more playable for 4v4. However, I'm really wanting to stay towards my initial design which was mean't for 2v2 (for the competition). I appreciate the comments on the architecture, I just wish I could nail the design. Back to the drawing boards!

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Thanks, it's my favorite part of the map.

I've put the map on the back burners the past few days. I've really been struggling with the bases, I have tried about 50 different bases. I feel like the best course of action would be to expand the map and make it more playable for 4v4. However, I'm really wanting to stay towards my initial design which was mean't for 2v2 (for the competition). I appreciate the comments on the architecture, I just wish I could nail the design. Back to the drawing boards!
For a 2v2 map, I wouldn't be too concerned about creating actual bases. Bases are necessary in objective modes like flag to house the objective itself as well as spawns within a defensible structure. For 2v2 slayer, you don't need any of that. In fact, base structures would serve only to give players a reason to stop moving; a place to sit back. Make sure that you have some safe spawning areas and reasonable places for initial spawns, but you needn't create actual bases. It might be interesting to create side structures which connect to the underground level in some fashion but which also can interact with specific points on the map's upper levels as well.

Yevah

Qualified
Jan 17, 2016
For a 2v2 map, I wouldn't be too concerned about creating actual bases. Bases are necessary in objective modes like flag to house the objective itself as well as spawns within a defensible structure. For 2v2 slayer, you don't need any of that. In fact, base structures would serve only to give players a reason to stop moving; a place to sit back. Make sure that you have some safe spawning areas and reasonable places for initial spawns, but you needn't create actual bases. It might be interesting to create side structures which connect to the underground level in some fashion but which also can interact with specific points on the map's upper levels as well.
Thank you for the input and advice. I believe the reason I was so adamant about the bases is because it was in my initial design. Perhaps the best solution is to do as you say and do away with them. Like you said, the bases aren't necessary for 2v2 and can in some cases be an issue for gameplay.

Reactions: Psychoduck

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
With gameplay improvements mostly out of the way, I'm focusing a bit more on improving Guillotine's visuals.

Original:
h5-btb.jpg

Updated:
Guillotine Screen Shot 2016-01-20 12-58-20.png

Original:
My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-11-18 20-22-22.png

Updated:
Guillotine Screen Shot 2016-01-20 13-01-33.png

Original:
My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-11-18 20-23-12.png

Updated:
Guillotine Screen Shot 2016-01-20 13-02-39.png

Original:
My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-11-18 20-23-52.png

Updated:
Guillotine Screen Shot 2016-01-20 13-04-41.png

Original:
My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-11-18 20-25-33.png

Updated:
Guillotine Screen Shot 2016-01-20 13-05-36.png

Original:
My Great Capture Screenshot 2015-11-18 20-26-58.png

Updated:
Guillotine Screen Shot 2016-01-20 13-06-53.png

alex quit

Got Gud
Nov 19, 2014
KIZINGO
So here's some pics of the map i'm work'n on, it will be ready for tests as soon as I get the spawns set up. I think for now I'll hold off on the idea I had earlier until we get those scripting volumes. So the map is set up for BTB - ctf, stongholds, salyer. It is also set up for multi-team Breakout (4v4v4v4) which sounds kinda absurd haha, but i'd still like to try out.

Map overview - that little white dot is me
Screenshot-Original.png
Screenshot-Original.png
Screenshot-Original.png
Screenshot-Original.png

Merder Smerf

Novice
Jan 18, 2016
With gameplay improvements mostly out of the way, I'm focusing a bit more on improving Guillotine's visuals.

Original:
View attachment 14904

Updated:
View attachment 14893

Original:
View attachment 14899

Updated:
View attachment 14894

Original:
View attachment 14900

Updated:
View attachment 14895

Original:
View attachment 14901

Updated:
View attachment 14896

Original:
View attachment 14902

Updated:
View attachment 14897

Original:
View attachment 14903

Updated:
View attachment 14898
Really like the warmer aesthetic. Will the map be updated in matchmaking?

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I like the bulkier geometry on the Space Whale Memorial Plaza. Good job on the new lighting and coloration in general Duck. Hopefully this is what we see in the BTB playlist soon!

I'm currently scrambling to get a new BTB map idea figured out. Hopefully I'll have it figured out so I can post something in here soon. Squidship is just about finished, I'll be posting that in the database in the next few weeks.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
alex quit, that looks really cool! I really like how little you seem to have relied on 90 degree angles and how you've been able to create what appears to be a pretty unique layout as a result. You have lots of subtle height variation and indirect line of sight blockage, too! It looks like you've relied a bit heavily on using cylinders to create building facades outside the map; I suspect you could do a bit better with that. Also, you should consider adding Jesus in Malibu's rain effect to make the map more reminiscent of ODST (I assume that is your goal given the map's name and setting) provided it doesn't interfere with readability. I look forward to testing this one, though.

Merder Smerf, hopefully it will soon!

Flying Shoe, Squidship definitely appears to be nearly finished. Hopefully we can run some 4s soon to test that, Skyport, Alex's new map, etc.

In addition to the updated version of Guillotine, I am also working with The Fated Fire on a new BTB map which should be ready for testing in the next few days. W're really excited about it so far. We should have some pictures to show off soon.

alex quit

Got Gud
Nov 19, 2014
alex quit, that looks really cool! I really like how little you seem to have relied on 90 degree angles and how you've been able to create what appears to be a pretty unique layout as a result. You have lots of subtle height variation and indirect line of sight blockage, too! It looks like you've relied a bit heavily on using cylinders to create building facades outside the map; I suspect you could do a bit better with that. Also, you should consider adding Jesus in Malibu's rain effect to make the map more reminiscent of ODST (I assume that is your goal given the map's name and setting) provided it doesn't interfere with readability. I look forward to testing this one, though.

Thak ya much sir! Yeah I was definitely going for that ODST atmosphere, I'll look up that rain effect and see what it looks like. - I agree, the facades are something I'm gonna have to make more interesting, right now they're just basically map boundaries.

I'm looking forward to these BTB maps coming from everyone!

alex quit

Got Gud
Nov 19, 2014
KIZINGO v2

I think it's safe to say this map flopped on it's first play-test. But thanks to some great feedback I think version two will play better.
Right now i'm mostly concerned about, scaling, weapon-set, and spawning.

So I scaled the map down a good chunk, but I'm still feel'n maybe its a bit too big?
On blue side, I got rid of the large bridge and added a smaller one as a sight-line blocker from the red side arch/bridge.
The bridge in middle has been removed since now you can easily jump from mid to the red platform.
K9znJY5.gif

I moved the flags up to allow spawning behind the flags. Blue flag spawns inside the Hotel now
v4AiTIH.jpg

There will be a warthog for both sided this time, hopefully there will be some cool warthog fights going on, and I think it will place more importance on the rocket-launcher that spawns in mid.
The blue window has been raised so that it is no longer accessible from mid.
aVtmv3y.jpg

I'd love to hear suggestions for the weapon-set because I usually just take a good guess as to what I should put on my maps.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
alex quit , that scaling looks much better. I'm really excited to play this now. The 'hogs should be interesting and I loved the geometry and theme to begin with, so experiencing all of that at a scale that makes a bit more sense should be very cool. We'll have to play this and new versions of Torque and other maps this week.

Reactions: alex quit

GamerVideo5346

Qualified
Jun 1, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'm sketching out a map surrounding a circular lake. The twist is that Spartans and Warthogs will drown in the water while the Ghosts and the neutral Wraith will hover on top of the invisible gravity volumes. So to deliver the flag you'll have to go all the way around the lake since covenant vehicles can't carry passengers... *I miss you Revenant!* Now, hopefully, Covie vehicles can hover on gravity volumes.

Lone

Novice
Jan 20, 2016
Wisconsin
Almost done with a map, just working out the kinks and doing refinements. thought I'd give a map preview.

Decided to make a short video of it.

Reflecting on previouses decisions, I regret not taking pictures.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I'm sketching out a map surrounding a circular lake. The twist is that Spartans and Warthogs will drown in the water while the Ghosts and the neutral Wraith will hover on top of the invisible gravity volumes. So to deliver the flag you'll have to go all the way around the lake since covenant vehicles can't carry passengers... *I miss you Revenant!* Now, hopefully, Covie vehicles can hover on gravity volumes.
That's actually a really cool concept. Finding creative ways to balance the warthog's effectiveness in carrying the flag is always an interesting challenge. This sounds like an interesting way to do it.
Almost done with a map, just working out the kinks and doing refinements. thought I'd give a map preview.

Decided to make a short video of it.

Reflecting on previouses decisions, I regret not taking pictures.
I'm a bit concerned about readability given how dark the map is and how many particle effects and such there are. Might be something to look into.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I just started working on a Squad/BTB map set in a seaside town. 2 Warthog, 2 ghost, pseudo-symmetrical layout. I'm designing primarily for strongholds, trying to pull off an interesting symmetrical strongholds map where all 3 possible holds are viable and interesting. Also, there's a tugboat. I'll post pics when I have a full blockout complete.

Lone

Novice
Jan 20, 2016
Wisconsin
I'm a bit concerned about readability given how dark the map is and how many particle effects and such there are. Might be something to look into.
It didn't seem like an issue for participants in past tests, however, it's possible that visibility related issues were unvoiced. In future tests I'll ask participants if they had issues with visibility. Anyways, any feedback helps, thanks.