Map Preview Welkin ( 1v1 )

Behemoth

Master
Jan 11, 2013
Scotia, CA

Ignore the inconsistent spelling of the map's name, lol.
Hey guys, here's a preview for one of my 2 submissions to the 1v1 contest. Wilken is a breath of fresh air from my regular forging style, as it is much more open and relies on meaningful and skillful movement and encounters. Movement is based on open and segmented sightlines, and predictions. Each area of the map provides different ways of encountering your opponent. Use the many skill jumps to get the drop on your opponent, or use them to escape a conflict.

Weapons:
Carbine: 2 : 1 Extra Mag : 45 seconds
Plasma Pistol: 1 : 45 seconds
Plasma Grenades: 4 : 60 seconds
Sniper Rifle: 1 : 0 Extra Mags : 90 seconds
Sniper Ammo: 1 : 60 Seconds
Overshield: 1 : 60 seconds : Does not spawn at start

Overview

Battle Rifles have been replaced by the Carbine, Plasnades spread out individually.

Thanks for viewing, criticisms welcome!

Last edited:

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
This may be one of the worst map names I've ever seen, but the map itself looks pretty damned cool. Looks like there are lots of jumps and interesting sightlines. In general, the geometry looks very interesting, and the theme is quite cool also. Why brown, though?

Behemoth

Master
Jan 11, 2013
Scotia, CA
One word: Contrast.
Lol, glad you like it Duck. But what exactly is wrong with the name, other than my atrocious spelling?

wel·kin
ˈwelkin/
noun
  1. literary
    the sky or heaven.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Your atrocious spelling was a contributing factor, but I fend the trend of naming 1v1 maps after obscure words (the case of this name actually being relevant to the map's setting is a rare one) to be quite tiring.

I still think that there are better alternatives to brown. Green might look nice.

Behemoth

Master
Jan 11, 2013
Scotia, CA
Lol fair enough. I'm going to try some other colors. The green might merge well with my floating rocks and "grass." I like the brown because it's the closest to black on MCC.

adderrson

Esteemed Lemon
Staff member
Jan 16, 2013
Map Description - "Just another day in the beige sofa factory" :p

As I mentioned to you the other day in le party chat, 'tis looking good, perhaps we could get a game on there sometime. :)

Shadowcat AZ

Proficient
May 26, 2013
I like this, not just cause it appears to be your first or second endeavor into H2A, but it seems to have a slightly different theme if you will to what you normally create, Bravo!

Behemoth

Master
Jan 11, 2013
Scotia, CA
Hey folks, I'm testing out the use of windows in place of the cross beams, to more effectively cut direct sightlines while keeping the valuable visual predictions Welkin was designed around. More to come soon!