front-page-map-spotlight.png
Have you ever imagined the world as a post-apocalyptic wasteland with depleted resources? If you have, fear not! The world's most precious resource just got even more abundant. Obviously the resource I am referring to is the world's supply of awesome Big team Battle maps, I mean obviously. This prime specimen, Embark, was forged by none other than your friendly neighborhood staffer Flying Shoe! Embark is a reimagination of Shoe's map Embarcadero from Halo: Reach. This is a large asymmetrical map set within the confines of the hilly city of San Francisco. The map is best played with One Flag CTF, but also supports other staples such as Extraction and Team Slayer. Whether you're looking for exciting street fights, hectic indoor battles, or intense vehicle action, Embark is a map worth checking out. See you guys on the battlefield!​

This map plays so well for CTF! I really like how the map was designed so that the Warthog is effective, but beatable. Nice work, Shoe :)

I downloaded this map once and just flew around in Forge so I can get some BTB forging ideas. Wasn't able to actually play it due to Halo 4's flourishing population.

While I was checking the map out, I realized that I have a long ways to go as a forger.

This is an incredible BTB map. Beautifully designed.

Well deserved, Shoe. Well deserved indeed.

Reactions: Skyward Shoe
Says Shoe...

"Finally, we get to my current project, a true-re-imagination of Embarcadero. While Fuggedaboudit! was a good map, it did not capture what I wanted from the original map, and so I started from scratch trying to make a big, urban map based off of San Francisco. While the map is playing well so far, I'm making sure not to forget my own advice. I'm testing the map as much as possible and looking hard at why it works and why it doesn't work. With enough time and patience hopefully I can make it into an extremely strong map, and also learn from it for my future designs.
There is no point where you stop learning and improving as a forger; you must always be looking to improve on yourself. Often times what you learn from making and testing a map is far more important than the map itself."

Like it in Reach, looks like it has improved in H4. My only gripe is that it still looks like a forge map because of the flooring. Had you used a modded canvas to do the terraforming technique (as FADesque as it seems, it's a great tool), you could have further differentiated the buildings and the floors aesthetically. It would also have helped in telling an aesthetic story, making the map even more believable.

Gameplay may be great, but aesthetically it doesn't look like anything particularly special. We all know how I hark on the importance of gameplay, but please please please don't take that to mean that aesthetics aren't vital as well.

Like it in Reach, looks like it has improved in H4. My only gripe is that it still looks like a forge map because of the flooring. Had you used a modded canvas to do the terraforming technique (as FADesque as it seems, it's a great tool), you could have further differentiated the buildings and the floors aesthetically. It would also have helped in telling an aesthetic story, making the map even more believable.

Gameplay may be great, but aesthetically it doesn't look like anything particularly special. We all know how I hark on the importance of gameplay, but please please please don't take that to mean that aesthetics aren't vital as well.

I can definitely see where you're coming from Schnitzel, the aesthetics of my forge maps have never been fantastic, it's something I'm still working on. Hopefully the map I'm working on now alleviates that some, I put a lot more consideration into where I used what parts.

Reactions: PA1NTS
Everytime you or Duck release a BTB map, I end up wanting to forge a BTB map so bad that I will just put a halt to my flood forges. I think you may have forced it upon me again.

Reactions: Psychoduck