Flood The Reliquary

The Reliquary (version BETA 3.0) - What mysteries lay hidden within this ancient place? And who built it? Probably someone awesome.

The Reliquary

The Reliquary is a symmetrical flood(ish) map made in the style of an ancient temple. It's currently in a testing stage and I'd appreciate any and all criticism, advice etc.. Especially in regards to ordnance and the game type and the timing of the gateways opening.

The Reliquary features an orrery (a working model of a universe), a fountain with running water, some cool ancient tombs and few other surprises.

The game type is called...

Read more about this map...

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
Holy hell this looks amazing. I might go clean the dust off my xbox360 to check this out... so umm... be right back. Got to find my copy of halo 4.
I agree but for most of your maps/mini-games it looks pleasing but game-play could use some work. For this map i have yet to try it out so when I do I'll let you know my thoughts but the map looks pleasing. Remember though "It aesthetics get in the way of Game Play get rid of them". Just s pointer. But we'll have to see.

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
This map is very pleasing to the eye but again. Please get rid of some of the z fighting and the telportors. Also a-lot of the dominion shields need to be removed. Cause: because the frame rate on this map is unbearable. None the less the aesthetics are inspirational and very creative. Keep up thee good work. Please update it with thee fixes.

This map is very pleasing to the eye but again. Please get rid of some of the z fighting and the telportors. Also a-lot of the dominion shields need to be removed. Cause: because the frame rate on this map is unbearable. None the less the aesthetics are inspirational and very creative. Keep up thee good work. Please update it with thee fixes.
Thank you for your comments, Charley boy! Do base shields contribute to frame rate issues? You're the second person to bring up the frame rate issue and I'm definitely working on it. I was going to try getting rid of some of the grenades in the asteroid belt to cut down on all the moving stuff, see if that helped. What's 'z fighting?' I'll fix it as soon as I know what it is. I appreciate your help.

Also, what do you think about the entrance area? Does that work as a kind of a holdout or do I need to throw some cover in there or something?

Last edited:
Okay, so far I've gotten rid of the asteroid belt, one of the planets, the braziers at the entrance and one of the base shields. I'm currently trying to clean up some of the z fighting, which btw I had never heard of before and had to google. Does z fighting take a toll on the frame rate or is it just a problem because it's considered ugly? The map in it's current form plays smooth as silk for me and my buddy but I'll need you guys to please tell me if you're still having frame rate issues. I'll post an update tonight.

Reactions: Charles Stoot

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
Okay, so far I've gotten rid of the asteroid belt, one of the planets, the braziers at the entrance and one of the base shields. I'm currently trying to clean up some of the z fighting, which btw I had never heard of before and had to google. Does z fighting take a toll on the frame rate or is it just a problem because it's considered ugly? The map in it's current form plays smooth as silk for me and my buddy but I'll need you guys to please tell me if you're still having frame rate issues. I'll post an update tonight.
To be honest I've been told Z fighting does cause frame rate, and I've seen it but it's still ugly then.

Fuck. Upon closer inspection, the only way to truly get rid of the frame rate issue is to delete the fountain. I don't understand why, though. The frame rate problems only affect the holdouts, and the fountain is far away from them in the middle-- and there is no frame rate problem in the middle where the fountain, the blast shields and the orrery are actually located. And I've made maps that used as many station consoles as this fountain and never had a problem before. Can someone help me understand this?

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
Fuck. Upon closer inspection, the only way to truly get rid of the frame rate issue is to delete the fountain. I don't understand why, though. The frame rate problems only affect the holdouts, and the fountain is far away from them in the middle-- and there is no frame rate problem in the middle where the fountain, the blast shields and the orrery are actually located. And I've made maps that used as many station consoles as this fountain and never had a problem before. Can someone help me understand this?
Impact has weird Physics. Much Like Forge Island, Ravine, Erosion, and Impact can only make big crates move when set to normal in a custom game. Forge Island can only have thee small closed crates do this. I'm guessing Impact has a glitch with thee lighting in that building or something of thee sort where thee code it wright-en differently then thee other canvas maps.

Reactions: kimjongillwill
Frustrating! I'm going to get rid of everything I can, but this map might just be stuck with a small frame rate problem. I'm sure you don't want to hear that. The old rule is "if it affects gameplay, get rid of it," but this map wouldn't have much of a point without the fountain. I'm sure it isn't a big surprise that the same dbag who went on a rant a couple weeks ago about how "gameplay isn't as important as people make it seem on this site" is now having gameplay issues. So let me have it! Don't pull any punches. You can't hurt my feelings. A girl once broke up with me on myspace. I have no shame anymore.

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
Then it is more of an Aesthetic map if you ask me. :y: Don't sweat on it I just said that because If you wanted to play on it. This map has so many creative and inspiring things that you get distracted in infection. It's an amazing map and don't think for a second I don't appreciate it. :y:. Just maybe not thee best for infection due to thee amazing creativity and frame rate.

Reactions: kimjongillwill
Then it is more of an Aesthetic map if you ask me. :y: Don't sweat on it I just said that because If you wanted to play on it. This map has so many creative and inspiring things that you get distracted in infection. It's an amazing map and don't think for a second I don't appreciate it. :y:. Just maybe not thee best for infection due to thee amazing creativity and frame rate.
Alas, in the end it was just too awesome for Halo to handle. I'm going to keep playing around with it, see if I can get it a little smoother. Thanks for all your help. I hope you'll check it out again when I finish it.

Believe it or not, I've actually figured out a way to fix the frame rate issue. I had to sacrifice a few things and change some stuff around but the choppiness is 99% gone. I've just got to do some clean up work and then I'll be able post an update sometime in the next couple days. I hope you'll check it out.

kimjongillwill updated The Reliquary with a new update entry:

Fixed frame rate issue

Long story short: This update has taken forever because, after years of loyal service, my first generation Xbox finally succumbed to old age a few weeks ago. He is survived by my Wii and two controllers. He will be dearly missed. But I persevere in his memory. I borrowed my sister's xbox to finish get this update finished.

I took care of 99% of the frame rate issues. I had to change the water in the fountain to a shield door and remove the asteroid belt along with a couple of planets. But it's...

Read the rest of this update entry...

kimjongillwill updated The Reliquary with a new update entry:

Touch up

Touched up the architecture in the undercroft, fixed the typo in the description and a few other little things.

Questions I'd love help with:
- Should the teleporters in the undercroft appear earlier?
- Should the lava monsters move faster?
- Does there need to be a route that leads down to the undercroft from the upstairs?

Read the rest of this update entry...