The Dissimilar Map Pack

qsY2sPV.jpg

Hi. I'm Sinogard. You may have seen me around in the days of halo 4. That was a long time ago... If the Bronze, Silver, or Gold map packs ring a bell then you should be familiar with my work. If not well I don't blame you. I did not have any maps make it into matchmaking. I'm a competitive map forger that primarily focuses on infantry based combat. That may or may not be because I can't seem to wrap my head around vehicles other than the ghost.

What makes me qualified to make such maps you might ask. Well in halo 4 I would have said nothing because frankly I sucked. However I have made strides to improve my competitive ability here in halo 5. I have ranked what I feel is a respectable rank this time around with diamond being my finisher in the preseason in most playlists. I have no doubt that by the end of the January season I will be that rank again. If you feel that that isn't high enough then know that I am continually looking for ways to improve not only in the game but in forge as well.

Anyway enough about me. This is about the map pack I'm bringing out. These maps are considered the first versions of a map I am willing to release to the public. Each utilizing the pieces available in forge in three very different ways, supporting a variety of game modes and play styles. While I am happy with the state of these maps, Future versions could well be made to fix issues, or add features, depending on the reception and feedback provided.

So with that lets go into the individual Maps.

DnLCoCA.png

First up is Xel'ex. It's a remake of Simplex from halo 4. It a highly requested map from the BBS crew and I couldn't just remake it block for block. I just don't roll that way I guess. So it has some additions to utilize the new sandbox here in halo 5 but remains largely the same. Frantic CTF game play is a constant and staple of the map with heavy emphasis on team work. The map also differs in it aesthetics from its halo 4 counterpart, as I went for a very Covenant look. Meaning lots of circles and purple.

The Layout:

On spawn one of the first things you will see is an over-shield in top mid on a very expose platform. Proper team cover will be necessary to take this powerful power up without wasting it, as you can still be killed while applying the power-up.

Underneath the Over-shield you will find a scattershot. It is a lot less exposed but requires you to venture out in the open. But if grabbed will allow you a great advantage in close corridors combat. In addition to a great variety of weapons there are several routes that you can access by using the new spartan abilities, such as clamber and thrusterpacking.

In CTF Modes Flags spawn in view of the enemy team on small circular pedestals. Due to the short distance between bases it is recommended that less competitive players set the total captures required to win a bit higher perhaps 5.

SYAmDom.png

Next up is Desert Outpost. It was a map that was softly suggested as “This would make a cool map.” I saw the linked image and thought, “why not” I figured it would be a good exercise at least. Then I saw a forge tutorial on how to make a desert looking map. It was then my mind truly began to take hold of the idea. So I spent some time forging it out and correcting some obvious issues from the image. I made the map over three days and spent an unhealthy amount of time in long forge sessions. Should be noted I usually don't eat in the middle of forge sessions... so... one meal days.

In the end I think the map turned out great. There are still some spots I feel need some work but at the moment I am not sure how to best correct them. They don't affect game play, its just personal nitpicks. But if I waited to release a map sole based on that then I would never release them.

The Layout:

On spawn you'll notice the asymmetrical and vertical nature of the map. Both teams will spawn on the bottom level. You'll immediately feel the need to get up high and into cover. In slayer modes red team will have easier access to the sniper and Blue team will have easier access to the rail gun. Though both could very easily be pressed by the opposing team. These weapons however will not spawn in objective game types. However the active-camo which spawns on the roof of the center building will spawn in all game modes.

There are a variety of trick jumps that will assist you in climbing rapidly up to the higher points in the map, some obvious, others less obvious. Keep an eye out for lights that are positioned just in clamber range and you'll find some routes you might not have otherwise considered. This will be expecially useful for the Strongholds Game mode.

ximNsKZ.png

Finally we have Notherdam Point. I was inspired by a structural piece in a friends forge project. I probably tried four different map variations before I left the project for a bit. Then I came back and just started experimenting with various pieces. At first I was going for a human feel. Attempting to use those pieces but they just weren't working. Then I saw triangles. Then I looked at the other two maps. Squares and circles. Well now I had to use a very angular look. So I started using as many triangles as possible. Eventually I revisited the color scheme and went with a forerunner scheme as they tend to be angular.

The Layout:

On spawn you will notice the sword in the center of the map. This weapon is key to map control. While on the outside of the map you will have longer lines of sight, the center of the map is riddled with paths and access ways that a sword wielder can exploit. Now the Sword is by no means invincible and can be brought down if they push to far from team support. If the sword falls into enemy hands you can attempt to bait the sword out of position and take it out with your team.

You'll notice I said team. This map was made for the CTF Game type. The flag is not in view of the enemy team until they are well within your territory. As such camping the flag will not be useful as you will have limited lines of sight. Therefore you must work with your team to protect both flanks and make sure you use proper communication when pushing or defending. If you dont you will overextend and be cut off, or you will find that the enemy has taken your flag.

And with that I thank you for taking a look at my map pack. You can download it by adding Sinonitsuj to your friends list and downloading the maps individually. When an update is released you can download it the same way and just make note of the version number.

Thanks again,

SN

Last edited by a moderator: