SvC Staff vs. Community #9 Recap

front-page-staffvscommunity-png.6407

Recap #9 (2/10/2014)

So last Sunday, SvC made its triumphant return after an extended break that probably went on much longer than it should have...​
Anyway, despite such a long gap from this game to the last, it still felt one in the same (at least... for the staff team it did anyway...) . Also, I played on the staff team for the first time since becoming a staff member in late October! :masterdebaytes:
Without any further ado, let's begin this official recap!​
Please note that for the entirety of the games played, the community played as the red team and the staff played as blue team. To make things easier to comprehend, this recap will be color coded.​
Game 1
Ricochet on AETHEIST
For the first game of five, the staff took a good look at the map list and decided to go with Aetheist for the first round. We assembled the community players and the 5 staff members online (myself, Duck, Shoe, Mock, and Teddy) and started up the first round with some good ol' 5v5 Ricochet.​

This round, if anything, showed that despite the long break from SvC, the staff still carried the will to stay undefeated. While the community made a valiant effort, they were thwarted by the well organized killing machine that is the staff team.

Not to mention I actually managed to throw one in right after grabbing it off the ball spawn.

1_zps4d581575.jpg

"Wait... Debs... did you actually score that one?"

2_zpsb27d354c.jpg

This was the community's biggest push to score, and let me tell you, they came REALLY damn close.

Our biggest challenge during the game was getting Psychoduck to score a point. We wanted to make sure everyone on our team had a chance, you know? It was a desperate struggle for our friend Duck, but eventually...

3_zpsca3eaf8f.jpg

...SUCCESS! (The Struggle...)
In the end... (it doesn't even matter!) it was a blowout. The community team was unable to land a single ball into the goal thanks to strong map control by the staff and a good, consistent offense (a good offense is a good defense after all)

Score:
0-200

Staff wins!
Staff: 1
Community: 0

Game 2
Multi Flag CTF on Panic Attack

Elliot finally managed to get online for some 6v6 on Panic Attack (our favorite map with a Dream Theater inspired name :p). We brought in another community member to even the odds and jumped right into the next game.

4_zps9af4a48d.jpg
There were a lot of explosions in this game.

5_zpsd1f4f681.jpg
And of course, there was a lot of warthog action from both teams (yes, that's Shoe and Duck in the blue).

This was probably my best game of the event. Despite not having a single flag capture, I led the staff team with a ridiculous amount of kills.

6_zps37ba3938.jpg
Oooooooverkill bitches!

However, that's not to say that the community didn't have its fair share of moments as well.

7_zps6b5e4caf.jpg
That awkward moment when Elliot and I die in a collateral sniper shot for the triple kill...

Despite the community team finally getting it together with some teamwork, it was another blowout.

Score:
0-3

Staff wins!
Staff: 2

Game 3
Ultimate Frisbee on Ultimate Frisbee Space Court

Since the community was already down by two games, we felt it was necessary to play one of the two mini games for the third round. Team Warthog Chase turned about to be a bust... (and I really wanted to play it too...) so with no other options, we left it to the community to decide between Circumvention and Ultimate Frisbee. If you've been reading everything up until now, then I shouldn't have to say anything more here.

8_zps508d50ba.jpg

Why is that one red guy looking backwards...?

Even though things didn't go exactly as planned, the community still finally managed to move off of 0 on the scoreboard! :D

The beginning of this game was pretty neck and neck, with each team scoring twice before the halfway mark of the round.

9_zpsa35105dc.jpg
Don't ask. I thought this picture was cool.
10_zps65131506.jpg
Here we have the community marking up the scoreboard...
11_zpsaf786158.jpg
And here we have the staff returning the favor.

The community always does better in the mini games I suppose (being on the community team myself in the past, I can confirm this). Unfortunately, it just wasn't enough to pull ahead of the staff, and just like that, the staff pulled out another win.

Score:
2-5

Staff wins!
Staff: 3

Game 4
Team Slayer BTB on Shipwreck
By this point in the lobby, the community was already down by 3 games (which technically made the staff winners of this SvC already). However we gave the community the benefit of the doubt, and seeking to bring about some community redemption, we finally swapped out the community team for a fresh new batch. We tried to bring in some good community players for these last two games and continued on playing.​

Finally, we were playing a game of Slayer. The community team was much better this game than it was in the previous games.​
12_zpsae1c98d0.jpg
How not to drive a Warthog, starring Shoebert.
13_zps2305e913.jpg
Elliot: "Ow, my face!"
14_zpsbf32b20b.jpg
Oooooooverkill number two! Suck it red team!
15_zpsce5d5f93.jpg
How not to drive a Warthog Vol. 2, starring Shoebert (and yes, that's Teddy he ran over and got betrayal-booted by :masterdebaytes:)

Even with the better team, the community still fell short of the staff. Still, as far as the 3 competitive matches are concerned, this was definitely the community's best performance.

Score:
73-100

Staff wins!
Staff: 4

Game 5
Halo Tactics on Halo Tactics Standard

Well, we saved the best game for last (sort of). While the rest of the staff team is not very fond of mini games, the last round had to be Halo Tactics. With nothing to lose, the community went all out and put forth a great effort in this final round. This game was BY FAR the closest game in the entire SvC lobby. That's just what happens in Halo Tactics when you have two teams that are actually coordinated and working together.

Yeah... Coordinated... Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah...
16_zpsaced2f42.jpg
Down goes Teddy.
17_zps7a76930f.jpg
The 3v3 Stand Off
18_zps80882636.jpg
The Final Kill

For the first time in a long while, the staff won both SvC mini games played. It's probably because we had a regeneration field and the community just lucked out and didn't, but oh well... I guess... It was still a VERY close game, and it was quite an enjoyable one.

Score:
236-253

Staff wins!
Staff: 5

After playing through this recent SvC, the staff has come to realize that perhaps the way we're going about this whole thing is wrong. For the next SvC, expect something a little different.

Also...

I bet many of you have forgotten, but what about the next Staff Q&A?

:psychoduck: vs. :flyingshoe:

Well, throughout the games, we kept a kill count among these two, and the results are in!

With scores 48 and 60, respectively, Shoe is the winner! Tune in for the soon to be posted Q&A thread for the Flying Shoe!

Wow, the community is utter shit at this game...

whoever played on the community team should be shamed with a custom title.

SvsC is not really fair for the community because if we did arrange a team to face them it be pointless, because they will do a full lobby re-boot. While our team gets reorganized they have a team that can stay in the game the whole time. I understand the point behind this the lobby re-boot, to get as many people in who signed up in the lobby, but it doesn't help if we tried to organize such team to face them. Not complaining just this is a predicament that could go eather way.

SvsC is not really fair for the community because if we did arrange a team to face them it be pointless, because they will do a full lobby re-boot. While our team gets reorganized they have a team that can stay in the game the whole time. I understand the point behind this the lobby re-boot, to get as many people in who signed up in the lobby, but it doesn't help if we tried to organize such team to face them. Not complaining just this is a predicament that could go eather way.

Actually, a few members of the community organized a team a few SvC's ago. We were all for the idea of playing against an organized team, but the team members forgot and it never happened. But still, like the post says, we'll be trying something new next time :D

[image]​
How not to drive a Warthog Vol. 2, starring Shoebert (and yes, that's Teddy he ran over and got betrayal-booted by :masterdebaytes:)
Funny story about this. When Shoe betrayed me, I booted him without half a thought, before immediately regretting it. Most of the staff were all like, "Teddy, wtf man?" but in the background you could hear Debbie quietly laughing to himself.

Actually, a few members of the community organized a team a few SvC's ago. We were all for the idea of playing against an organized team, but the team members forgot and it never happened. But still, like the post says, we'll be trying something new next time :D

I appreciate it because I think we would have a little bit more of a chance if we are able to get use to who we are playing with before the Event even starts. One map before the game isn't enough, to know who is good at what and such.

I appreciate it because I think we would have a little bit more of a chance if we are able to get use to who we are playing with before the Event even starts. One map before the game isn't enough, to know who is good at what and such.

Just throw ChewyNutCluster on the community team and the Staff will have no chance!

#cockybastard

Reactions: Zandril
The f***ing little kid on the original community who took it as a piss take. #Communication

Great Job to Charles Stoot for attempting to coordinate the original community team but the team just didnt want to listen so it became effectively 3vs5 and 4vs6.

Ptw GG.