Gametype Skill Slayer

WhackyGordon

Proficient
Feb 1, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Skill Slayer is a modded gametype with minimal auto-aim, magnetism, and zero bloom, for a more challenging multiplayer experience.
'+' variants have zero auto-aim/magnetism.
rdG8xhw.jpg

Skill Slayer+ (no AA/Magnetism/Bloom)
Skill Slayer+ Classic Magnums (same as the above with a 3SK Magnum - OP but still sweet)
Infinity Skill Slayer (Minimal AA/Magnetism, no bloom, infinity features enabled)
Infinity Skill Slayer+ (no AA/Magnetism/bloom, infinity features enabled)

Reactions: Pfeuff

Pfeuff

Master
Aug 13, 2013
I'd rather play with no auto aim at all. Is there a way I can get my hands on the original version?
You should give the current version a go at least. I was of the same mindset as you before, but after playing v1.1, I'm beginning to have a change of heart.
Even while playing with a mouse, the aa/bm is barely noticeable... It's pretty much like playing with none at all.

Edit: Btw Gordon, any chance you can include a psuedo 3sk Magnum in the Legendary variant? I know a few guys from the XIM community that would very much like it.

WhackyGordon

Proficient
Feb 1, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You should give the current version a go at least. I was of the same mindset as you before, but after playing v1.1, I'm beginning to have a change of heart.
Even while playing with a mouse, the aa/bm is barely noticeable... It's pretty much like playing with none at all.
I have a purist version (called Skill Slayer+) in my non-modded FS. I'll move it to my modded FS and post a link once the waypoint interface starts working. This version has no AA/Magnetism on every possible weapon (melee excluded) and ZB across the board. That way people have the option of not 'muddying the experience' to so speak.
Edit: Btw Gordon, any chance you can include a psuedo 3sk Magnum in the Legendary variant? I know a few guys from the XIM community that would very much like it.

The problem with the 3SK magnum is there's no bleedthrough on any of the weapons, so like Reach, if they have a sliver of shields it'll take a full hit from anything, barring explosives and possibly melee. I can tune the Magnum to deal 98% of the shield in 2 shots, but the third only pops, so it's a lot more powerful than CE to actually achieve a 3SK. You have to be able to 2-shot somebody's shield, which with the Magnum's RoF means you can mow them down like you're 2-shotting with the sniper and never worry about headshots. The health and shields just aren't the right ratio. You can adjust that with gametype settings, but that puts the rest of the weapons off, and effectively makes non-headshot weapons useless, and means a whole lot of work rebalancing everything around the stats necessary for the magnum to operate half-way to where it should. So I can make a magnum that 2-shots shields for a 3SK, if you don't mind it being OP, but it won't feel quite right.

Pfeuff

Master
Aug 13, 2013
The problem with the 3SK magnum is there's no bleedthrough on any of the weapons, so like Reach, if they have a sliver of shields it'll take a full hit from anything, barring explosives and possibly melee...
Yeah, I understand that there's no bleedthrough... hence why I said "psuedo", meaning it should try to be like the Halo: CE Pistol. If we can at least get it to kill in three shots then that's fine even if the damage is OP. To compensate for this, I suppose you could adjust the RoF (if that's possible?), and the AA/magnetism to match the old pistol, or perhaps have less. It's not on the high priority list, but if it's too much trouble, I suppose you don't need to worry about it.

Also, is it possible for every weapon to have recoil, and can we adjust the amount that effects the player when firing?

WhackyGordon

Proficient
Feb 1, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah, I understand that there's no bleedthrough... hence why I said "psuedo", meaning it should try to be like the Halo: CE Pistol. If we can at least get it to kill in three shots then that's fine even if the damage is OP. To compensate for this, I suppose you could adjust the RoF (if that's possible?), and the AA/magnetism to match the old pistol, or perhaps have less. It's not on the high priority list, but if it's too much trouble, I suppose you don't need to worry about it.

Also, is it possible for every weapon to have recoil, and can we adjust the amount that effects the player when firing?

Well, here's a 3SK Magnum gametype - could definitely be balanced closer to the original, but it's a start.
As for adding recoil, I don't think that's possible via megalo. You can via jtag afaik, but of course that wouldn't work on retail xboxes.

Pfeuff

Master
Aug 13, 2013
Just tried the Classic Magnums gametype... I do like, feels pretty solid man. My only major problem I have is with the Needler. If it can still retain its projectile tracking, then it wouldn't be so useless. I've also tried increasing the turning speed by 3-times the original value, and although the vertical speed (Y-axis) is still rather sluggish, the extra turning speed feels nice on the mouse. It's not ideal, but I guess this will have to do for now. Although if we can somehow increase vertical look speed, that would be great.

WhackyGordon

Proficient
Feb 1, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just tried the Classic Magnums gametype... I do like, feels pretty solid man. My only major problem I have is with the Needler. If it can still retain its projectile tracking, then it wouldn't be so useless. I've also tried increasing the turning speed by 3-times the original value, and although the vertical speed (Y-axis) is still rather sluggish, the extra turning speed feels nice on the mouse. It's not ideal, but I guess this will have to do for now. Although if we can somehow increase vertical look speed, that would be great.

Yeah, I've been having a hell of a time getting the needler to work reasonably well but still feel somewhat cohesive with the rest of the weapons. Still working on it.

Pfeuff

Master
Aug 13, 2013
Guess you'll try to add it in the next update? Hope it all goes well.

Btw, I'm not so sure about having low/no bloom on automatic weapons... doesn't feel quite right to me. Perhaps have double, or triple that of the precision rifles, so it doesn't end up being like a full-auto DMR lol. You should also increase the turning speed on the mouse-friendly gametype via Horizon. Like I said before, x3 base speed feels alright... not ideal, but I suppose it will have to do until we can figure out how to increase vertical look speed as well (if possible).