• Yes

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • K'nex were better

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
front-page-official-news.png

Hi there, HaloCustomers (does that make you our customers? :confused:)! You may have noticed lately that Media Stream content has been somewhat lacking. While the ongoing hunt for the Purple Dinosaur Eggs has been an exciting adventure, we thought it was about time we got our acts together and returned the Media Stream to its original purpose: bringing a variety of awesome content to you! The staff have been discussing a few different avenues for bringing cool content to you guys and getting you involved. None of these plans are finalized just yet, but we'll keep you guys in the loop.

"2"s, "v"s, "B"s, "o"s, 'n' "F"s
If you take a glance at the forum, you'll notice that our Special Events board skipped town. If you missed out on the excitement of Best of Forge and the 2v2 Tournament we were co-hosting with a few other site and channels from around the community, don't feel bad. You really didn't miss out. Both of these events ended with some degree of failure due to poor communication and lack of effort put forth from everyone involved. I know it sucks, and it's frankly embarrassing for us. Allow me to sincerely apologize on behalf of everyone involved for our past failures. We'll be more careful with what we set out to do and who we work with in the future. If you missed the BoF results, you can check them out here. Again, our sincerest apologies.

Captains of Captions
In case you missed it, we posted our first Caption Contest yesterday. The winner will receive a Captain of Captions trophy, so be sure to drop by and enter. Expect to see more of these contests and other mini-events alongside SvC game nights in the future.

The Great Debate
If you've been around the site long enough, you should remember The Great Sammich Debate. The debate started in the HaloCustoms staff Skype chat with Insane Fiddy-Fo and myself arguing whether Quiznos or Subway was better. It seemed to be a popular topic, and after having a similar debate recently we figured you guys might want to weigh in. Today's topic is Xbox Kinect. Is it the future of gaming? Or is it merely a pricy add-on to our consoles that only gets in the way? Weigh in below and drop a vote in the poll above. Keep it classy, k?

Other Stuff
Caption contest and debate not holding your interest? No worries! Take a look at this week's THFE feature, listen to some music in our Plug.DJ room, and be sure to take a look at upcoming custom games. Stay tuned for more fun front page content!

I think the question posed in the debate is an interesting one. Do I think that gestures, voice commands, and all those other things are the future of gaming? Yes. But do I think that the 360's Kinnect or XBone's Kinnect 2.0 are going to revolutionise the way we game overnight? No. At least not given their current (limited) capabilities and Microsoft's marketing strategy.

The Kinnect represents the shift that I (and seemingly most Sci-Fi writers) believe that gaming and technology will see in future however I'm just not convinced that the Kinnect that we have now is the future, today.

Just my opinion.

Neat! It's nice to see that you guys still have the spirit of putting effort into this site and trying to make things better for everyone!

:y:

It makes me uncomfortable to sit and game naked now... Knowing there's a device watching me, uploading stuff to the interwebs, listening to me...
It all gets a bit creepy and soon enough it'll be sniffing you and touching you, offering your balls a free scratch with Xbox live gold.

It's all bad stuff :(

I feel that for motion capture based gaming to work right the games are going to have to change in ways that we have not yet imagined. Our current types of games work very well with a controller or mouse, the two were designed side by side. I think it is going to be a while still before we start seeing games that really work well with that type of control scheme, potentially late into the life of the new Kinect.

I feel that for motion capture based gaming to work right the games are going to have to change in ways that we have not yet imagined. Our current types of games work very well with a controller or mouse, the two were designed side by side. I think it is going to be a while still before we start seeing games that really work well with that type of control scheme, potentially late into the life of the new Kinect.
This. Turns out that the first game to fully use 3D free-look with a mouse was Bungie's Marathon in December of 1994; the mouse had been a concept since 1965 and became widely popularized with Apple's original Macintosh computer in 1984.

Point is that changing the way we think about things takes a long time, even once the hardware has become standard and popular. I believe Kinect is the right way to go, but it's going to be a while before we really see it become a natural feeling extension of our intentions, like the mouse has become.

Last edited:
YES!!!! KINECT IS THE FUTURE OF GAMING!!!

...unless Oculus Rift's virtual reality headsets come to the market first.

it was just a fad and now its going away Oculus rift is the real future of gaming and probably some other industries