Schnitzel's Portfolio

Dec 30, 2012
I didn't know these were a thing now, and seeing as I'm procrastinating on studying for my exams this weekend, might as well make one too. Like many forgers out there, I came on to the scene with Halo Reach. Originally I started by remaking MLG maps such as Onslaught and Amplified, but turned to attempting more "original" designs when Bungie announced the Forgetacular contest. I say "original" in quotations as many of you may know, I don't exactly go about original designs but more often spiritual successor. In that, I attempt to take maps from previous titles and while remaining true to their map genre, I attempt to address flaws inherent to their designs.

Perserverance:

perserverance.jpg

This was arguably my first "original" map, which was a co-forge with Drummerboy420 (or whatever his name was). It was nothing more than an upscaled reitteration of Narrows bent on a 45 degree angle. Nothing special really.

Amalgam

amalgam.jpg

Amalgam is an amalgamation of aspects from several maps, notably Guardian and Assembly. While not a great map in itself, it was pretty fun and recieved a lot of play time with a small community of forgers and gamers that seemed fairly impressed by it. It also received a lot of hate from old ForgeHub staffers, much in part to my insistence that it was a map of equal quality to their own often featured maps. I still think it played a great Territories (3-plot) game.

Cold Snap

8.jpg

This was an attempt at forging a symmetrical variant of Chill Out / Cold Storage. It pretty much sucked. Co-forged with MacXL and Bleuprint. It did have a pretty cool promo video that Bleuprint created though.

Select

birdy.jpg

Well, it didn't take long for me to actually strike success relative to most forgers. Hit the nail on the head apparently with this one, although I'm not happy with the Reach design. It was essentially Narrows with the bottom bridge removed and two side bridges added in. It was put into Match Making and enjoyed strong popularity with most players. SaLoT helped me out somewhat with this map in the end in return for me co-forging Confined with him, but that's another story.

Triumvirate

reach_11597389_Medium.jpg

This was a pretty cool design in my personal opinion. I took H3's Assembly for inspiration and attempted a 3-way symmetrical map. Never really finished it.

Despair

reach_16608644_Medium.jpg

First version image.
Top+Red.jpg

Final version image.

Despair was an attempt at making a Derelict/Desolation successor that combined the open/exposed donut elements with room-based design elements. It went through multiple iterations, received a ton of love (and hate) and almost made it into Match Making... Unfortunately by this point I had burnt too many bridges in the community and Laskan had personally banned me and removed Select from MM on account of my bad reputation. Apparently struggling with alcohol addiction while adjusting to civilian life isn't something people are very sympathetic about, but I was a pretty big dick...
Do note, this map marked the beginning of all of my maps henceforth (in Reach) being 2PL splitscreen compatible. An accomplishment no other forger had success in.

Kernal

Image Placeholder

Yet another attempt at a Assembly spiritual successor. I was damned determined to make that design work competitively. Co-forged with Overkill (kinda).

Overpass

Image Placeholder

An attempt at a Rats Nest spiritual successor. Wanted a 4v4 map that supported heavy vehicle play. Featured two bases with a figure eight driving lane around them. Met with mixed reviews, mostly in part to other forgers having developed a strong dislike for me. Also co-forged with Overkill.

Orion

Birdy.jpg

Or Onion as Ducky aptly named in on a THFE feature. This started out as a Gemini spiritual successor. Personally favorite of my Reach maps, and ported successfully to Halo 4 (although changed more into a Construct successor in that game).

Dec 30, 2012
Part Two: Halo 4

I didn't do much forging in Halo 4. Mostly I only ported my three favorite designs from Halo Reach. I also did a remake from the game Nexuiz, and a few unreleased maps. Despair and Orion both made Match Making, although Despair never should have made it. Select got brushed to the side due to politics and SaLoT's inferior Confined got its place in the Forge Island Playlist.

Despair

Image Missing

This map sucked. Plain as that. Moving on.

Select

bird.jpg

Another attempt at addressing the flaws of Narrows. Condensed the width of the original select to run parallel to the central bridge, completely redesigned the bases, added a bottom basement path in lieu of the mancannons, and additional downward sloping bridges on the outsides as well. Inverse symmetrical.

Orion

rockets.jpg

Spiritual successor to Construct. First and only map in H4 to feature true vertical oriented gameplay. Currently featured in the Proving Grounds playlist.

bird.jpg

Attempt at another Derelict/Desolation successor. Created as a response to the community's love of Dispatch, but attempting to bring more depth to the game play. Never truly released, but available in my fileshare.

Cheers guys.