Mini Game Push Stadium

Push Stadium (version 2016-01-26) - Tug of war dodgeball map

The video explains the ins and outs of the map, but basically you try to force the other team out of their territory. Once a territory is cleared, the barrier is removed you you can move up. Push them all the way off, and you win the match. Who ever pushes farthest at the end of 2 min wins the round.

Make sure to download the game type that goes with it - Push

Read more about this map...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I commend you on the creative use of scripting. I think this mini game has loads of potential, but is currently held back due to failure to adequately communicate to the player. On a few occasions during my playtest, a round would end and a team would unexpectedly win said round. Which team won did not always appear to correlate with which held more territory. Pushing forward also led to some confusion. There was one instance where the wall opened up in the front my team's territory, presumably allowing us to move forward. However, when attempting to do so I was teleported to my death just as I would have been had the wall still been up and I had jumped over it.

I propose two adjustments to the way the game is set up which I hope you'll consider. If I fail to understand negative implications these may have, then please forgive me. First, I would suggest simply placing three Strongholds: one spanning the three central partitions and one in the furthest partition along each side. It would be very clear to players exactly how much territory they controlled at any given time and would make it much more clear which team was winning the round at any given time. I understand this would change your scoring system such that a team which held more territory throughout a round but was pushed back at the last minute could still win. However, setting the score to win to appropriately end the round shorty after either team captured a third territory would minimize the possibility for this outcome. Alternatively, you could even use Breakout and force teams to win either through elimination of the opposing team or by pushing the flag all the way along the map as this would still reward teams for controlling more territory. The Strongholds option detailed above seems preferable, however.

My second suggestion is to disable jump height, removing the need for the teleporters between partitions. This will eliminate any bugs which arise from scripting the teleporters (I believe this is why I died despite the map communicating to me that it was time to push forward as I described above) and generally make movement between partitions more intuitive. The role jumping plays is presumably limited to dodging grenades, but strafe and thrust seem adequate to allow this on their own. Perhaps buffing players' thrusting ability, either in terms of cooldown or distance, would be necessary if jumping was removed.

Anyway, I hope you find this feedback helpful. Despite the kinks, I did find this game quite enjoyable and I would love to see it refined and taken to the next level.

Reactions: Dr Sammy D
On people dying even though the wall is down: The logic for walls going up and down, and the kill teleporter spawning and despawning are the same, so there is no delay between up, and spawn, which may have been the issue when crossing. You wouldn't see the wall come up before you get teleported. There's a 5 second window to cross. If I need to, I can lengthen it. If you did indeed get teleported when you should have been able to move forward, then perhaps the spawn/despawn scripting is unreliable. The other possibility is to remove the spawn scripts for the teleporters and delay it a second after the wall moves up.

Side note: 343 should consider using my map as a stress test for their scripting system :D

On winning a round unexpectedly: Did it happen at the beginning of a round? That would have been because they pushed the other team off the stage entirely during the last round. On that condition, the team the pushed all the way wins the entire game.

If not, the likely culprit is one team pushed the other team back 1 second too late, the timer to end the round completed, and even though the team got pushed back to the center, they won because the push script hadn't yet completed to set it back to neutral. Again, that's speculation of expected behavior, but if the scripting system simply bugged out, I have not control over that.

On communication: Agreed. Going make a rules sign, and put it up for the start camera.

On 3 strongholds: That I don't think would work. If a team has pushed once, then the other team would still be contesting the territory, but they'd also capture the territory at the back of their base, leading to the team which has been pushed farther winning. Even with two to score, I'd still have to teleport one of the teams out of contesting. It's simpler scripting wise to just teleport you to the stronghold.

On Jumping: That might make it simpler, and it's been suggested before. Grenades blowing you up and over the barrier would still be an issue though.