Map Preview Praecurser

Madirate

Supreme Leader of China
Feb 16, 2013
So.. I normally don't make map preview threads but I'd like to get good quality feedback. Praecurser (Forerunner in latin) is a 4v4 Inverse Symmetric competitive map that supports alot of gamemodes, Multiflag, Neutral Bomb Assault, Koth, Oddball, Ricochet, and Slayer. The map has an interesting design that mixes terrain and structure, and was designed for multiflag and assault gameplay, Each team base will have a sniper near the side ramp while a rocket launcher is in the middle of the map, I did setup spawns so you could play 5v5 on it (If you can) While testing the map it has improved with the feedback I was given from Slaphead, Canadian Echo, and alot of others aswell, but anyways Good feedback is appreciated.

FVbCKEZ.jpg

TRVIOuZ.jpg

eN8hdx0.jpg

nbMnxzA.jpg

XkFv9Rm.jpg

BLhlc7i.jpg

yHr3rkv.jpg

Reactions: Weavile Wallace

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I think this is definitely an improvement on your previous forging endeavors, Steel. I have some feedback from our test yesterday which can hopefully help improve the map further. I won't go too in-depth, as I only experienced a single game on here. More details would likely become apparent upon further tests, but this is what I saw yesterday.

Firstly, the map is what we normally call a "donut" meaning that it has a straightforward circular layout with little more than objective and weapon placement to control flow. Donuts are typically frowned upon as they become stale and lack meta depth in gameplay. Donuts usually lack defined control points and this combined with the unrestricted circular layout leads to movement around the map feeling random and unpredictable. I would advise making an effort to restrict the flow through some areas. Creating some chokepoints and lessening the porosity* of the routes on the map will go a long way towards making encounters more deliberate and meaningful. This can be done by creating more defined control points and by clearly defining the purposes of each route around the map. Right now, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of clear advantages or disadvantages to any given route and they appear to be rather homogenous in function. Ask yourself: "why should players want to use this route over another?"

Currently, the areas with the snipers appear to be pseudo-control points, but given the ease with which they can be flanked (due to the porous circular layout), their power is extremely limited. Aside from these, the platforms near the A and C hills** are somewhat useful, but are little more than raised platforms and don't offer much in the way of controlling the map. In contrast with the relatively plentiful and porous movement options, the lines of sight on the map are somewhat limited. This goes back to the ease of flanking and the generally unpredictable and random nature of movement on the map. Again, chokepoints and more defined routes and control points are the answer.

Another thing I noticed was a lack of verticallity. There is moderate height variation throughout the map, but there is little to no vertical overlap and little meaningful vertical movement. Again, the sniper platforms are a start, but more overlap will go a long way towards creating vertical engagements and incentivizing vertical movement.

That's all for now. I realize that was a bit of a mouthful, so let me know if I can clear any of it up for you. Hopefully you find it helpful.

*When I talk about porosity, I mean the ease with which players can move between different areas around the map
**These may be incorrect hill callouts, I am referring to gold platform which is in a few of your pictures and its symmetrical counterpart

Jan 7, 2015
Something noticed about the map, or maybe better put as felt, was that the map feels like it should vehicles somewhere. Now, that doesn't mean I would want them. But it feels to me like your outer ring was built for a ghost or gungoose to mop up players who strayed from the main combat in the middle. But it I think you didn't want it to feel this way by design. The large open areas on the outer ring make it feel like that I think. I would parallel your map to Rat Race due to this. An outer donut for vehicles and the jammy centre of player combat.

Now, it's up to you if you wanna expand the map to make ghosts/gooses work better and make it a more 5v5-6v6 map, or as duck says and include more choke points on the map to remove this.

Now, as also said by Duck, your power positions are a bit underpowered. And the play is a bit random. The raised walkways on the outer ring could potentially be connected via bridge to a higher overlook into centre, acting as a new power position and shifting flow of the map to control these areas. I would suggest, if you use this idea, that when building these points, you make the sniper spawn overlooks direct counters to these areas, giving more power to these areas simultaneously

Madirate

Supreme Leader of China
Feb 16, 2013
Steelgreen are you going to finish this off?
No, I don't plan on forging or playing on MCC anymore, I was disappointed too much to even care about about the game anymore, Thus leading me to delete the game itself from my xbox one hardrive. Knowing you asking about the map is most likely one of your childish trolling antics but I don't care, I've been meaning to post why I haven't provided updates to this map.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Battlefield kid

P.S. I think Orzium is just asking because there's a lot of feedback that people left for you and he's wondering if you're going to let the feedback go to waste. I myself was wondering the same thing. If he was trolling, he'd say something along the lines of "Steel, this map is my favorite map of all time" or something

Reactions: -Orzium-

Madirate

Supreme Leader of China
Feb 16, 2013
Battlefield kid

P.S. I think Orzium is just asking because there's a lot of feedback that people left for you and he's wondering if you're going to let the feedback go to waste. I myself was wondering the same thing. If he was trolling, he'd say something along the lines of "Steel, this map is my favorite map of all time" or something
I took the feedback and made changes to the map when I was forging on it, I started to realize the design was a bust, even if I did finish it the map would be decent.