New Maps Section!

hc-officialnews.jpg

If I hadn't just done this in the last article I'd written, I would probably be starting this one off with a quip about people living under rocks. However, that would be redundant, so after much deliberation I have decided to instead start this article off rambling about how this article is being started off. Make sense? No, I didn't think so either.

Anyways, unless you've been living under some solidified mineral composition, you've probably noticed the huge update we've made to our maps section here on HaloCustoms. This is something we'd been planning for a while now, and were finally able to pull off. If you're going to be playing custom games, you probably want some cool custom maps to play them on, and the new maps section provides some great functionality to help you do that. It also makes for a great place for aspiring forgers to share their creations, get them recognized, and receive feedback.

maps1.jpg
The maps section from the main forum page
Posting a map is easy, and from the post screen you'll find a link to a tutorial which will explain some of the more complex aspects of posting. Don't let all of the options scare you! The system is actually quite simple and allows maps to be organized in a multitude of ways to help people find what they're looking for and to help fan-favorites get the recognition they deserve. We encourage you to post your map here even if it's already in the archive so that you may take advantage of these features. You can also post as-of-yet unfinished maps in the database, as maps all come with a version number so you can publish updates whenever you want.​
maps2.jpg
The main screen within the maps section
Reviewing other people's maps allows them to get the recognition they deserve. When reviewing a map, be sure to be constructive and specific. If you give a map four stars, explain exactly why it was given that rating. This helps map creators to improve in the future.​
maps3.jpg
A map's review screen
So to wrap up, here are some of the other features the new maps section provides, straight from your community manager Insane Fiddy-Fo.​
Basic Features: categories, field information, versions, direct download links and count, ratings
More Features: watch maps, latest, newest, top, most downloaded, most active forgers, search
Other Functionality: Staff Picks, maps section in user profiles

Without wanting to talk your ears off, I'll leave it at that. We hope you will all enjoy the new features provided by the maps section. We look forward to see you posting maps!

eat your cold, dead heart out 4chub.

i didnt mean that lets be friends forever makeup sex?

...what? lol.

Out of curiosity I looked through the categories and didnt find my submitted maps. Do we have to re-upload them in this newly designed section?

Speaking of which, the new design makes a ton of sense for this site. Well done.

...what? lol.

Out of curiosity I looked through the categories and didnt find my submitted maps. Do we have to re-upload them in this newly designed section?

Speaking of which, the new design makes a ton of sense for this site. Well done.
Yes, you do need to re-do them. When you go to post a new map, you'll see why -- there's a variety of options that just couldn't be moved over from old posts.

There are 2 ways I think it could be improved.

1. Have an option / section where you can browse the maps with a a big thumbnail showing the first / primary picture. I'm sure this would be a ton of work to implement, but it's the best way to browse maps in my opinion.
2. Be able to see how many views you are getting. The waypoint download function isn't any easier IMO than using the file browser unless someone has a ridiculous gamertag, so I'm guessing a lot of people getting these maps never hit the download button.

I am extremely biased on this last one but a "race" category would be awesome. Let me know what you think.

There are 2 ways I think it could be improved.

1. Have an option / section where you can browse the maps with a a big thumbnail showing the first / primary picture. I'm sure this would be a ton of work to implement, but it's the best way to browse maps in my opinion.
2. Be able to see how many views you are getting. The waypoint download function isn't any easier IMO than using the file browser unless someone has a ridiculous gamertag, so I'm guessing a lot of people getting these maps never hit the download button.

I am extremely biased on this last one but a "race" category would be awesome. Let me know what you think.
1. Working on getting this done already
2. Perhaps I could do this, but I think the download button is quite a lot easier once you're already there (one click!)

-Added!

I think the best way to let this map database flourish is to let people on this forum add maps in the creator's name. What do you think about that? It doesn't diminish any credit, and it really only helps the site.

I think the best way to let this map database flourish is to let people on this forum add maps in the creator's name. What do you think about that? It doesn't diminish any credit, and it really only helps the site.
I think one should get permission from the map creator before posting on their behalf, but that's just me.

Sometimes I'll put a map on my file share when I'm only 90-95% done with it and update as issues come up and post when I'm satisfied there are no issues, but I think I might be one of the few with this habit. I guess it would definitely do more good than harm.

I felt kind of weird when I saw someone I didn't know had posted 1 Flag CTF on FH. They gave me credit, but it was like... I was going to do that. Plus, if people can post maps from others, how often do you think they will check to see if someone else has posted the map they are about to post? Being generous, I'd guess about 50-75% of the time.

Overall, without permission I won't allow posting, it leads to too many potential issues. I'd overall like the people who make great maps to be recognized for their work rather than somebody else, there's a wide variety of potential awards that may be put in place in the future for making a great map. Let the people who make your favorite maps know about the new maps resource here! Even if you're not friends with them, send them a quick "hey, post your map on HaloCustoms.com/maps/" message on another Halo fansite or Xbox Live. It has a high potential of bringing them in, and then we can move it to Staff Picks if the staff likes it :)

totally loving the new maps section!

we need everyone who has had a map featured to add their map to the new database so it can be transferred to Staff Picks!!
BlazeDillon
Xinshu
PA1NTS
Behemoth
Throwindembows
Zatherla
Darkprince909
Robius5991
REMkings
Pol Wah
Auxi Klutch`

NARB GUY, 0micron, I SINZZL, x Dream 76 x

So I herd you gais liek my maps?

All completed PA1NTS maps will be posted approximately 2 days from now. Be stoked.

These are all people who have had a feature on HaloCustoms? Or are you referring to youtube features?