Modded Maps - Everything You Need To Know

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Modded Maps

a forge article by Buddy Jumps

In this post I will focus on the modded canvases and how you can use them to your advantage. So if you struggle working with modded maps this might be interesting for you...
So, speaking of modded maps one guy clearly stands out: Lord Zedd (or ddeZ droL). He made it to his job to provide modded canvases for the forge community. Needless to say he's done an amazing job in Halo 4 being the primary map modder.
With these kinds of maps forgers have been given a lot more options to create a new map. Being able to convert modded structures into different structures from the same category *and* not lose a single "dollar" is breath-taking.
Although there are many possibilities, still many people dislike modded maps as they often have got framerate issues and broken lighting, which make it impossible to play them in a huge lobby.
With that being said, the majority of forgers does not know how to handle a modded map in the right way.

That's why I wanted to make this thread.

1. General stuff
  • A modded map almost never includes more than 512 pieces. There can be 512 pieces of one category, 256+256 of two categories, or even more seperated.
  • Even though there are that many pieces you start with a full budget.
  • You can convert pieces.
  • The maximum number of objects we can put on a map is 751. If you use a canvas with 512 modded pieces you only can put 239 more objects *including* everything (Spawn points, too)!

2. Tipps and Tricks

ugcuserfile-7ae07a73-a9f4-452a-90e0-1df4a56641bb-79837204f46de58d-full.jpeg
On this picture you can see a modded canvas with 256 blocks and 256 naturals. That's the point where many forgers fail to handle such a map. They begin forging only using these structures. At the end they have a laggy, broken map that doesn't look very nice. In the worst situation they reach the maximum number of objects we can put (751) and are not even able to complete the map.

ugcuserfile-4ff4e845-8707-4862-a305-fc5d5c37ca7a-ff501d637435e2b0-full.jpeg
The probably best tip I can give you is: Always use a separated canvas, so you can delete one stack (Just go to "Delete all of these"). Don't worry, full budget is still available. Now the map won't be laggy (I you use 256 buildings the lighting could eventually become broken) at all plus you will never reach 751 objects. But Buddy, a map with 256 rock 3's? What should I do with so many rocks...

ugcuserfile-c328b649-ba57-454f-8b9f-32cef3e1b0cd-2da0cbbe869f7fb0-full.jpeg
Coming to the next point: Even though there are 256 rocks on the map 50 natural pieces are still available at the beginning. As you can see I put six different pieces from the "natural" section. My counter (how many natural pieces I can still put) is on 44 as I used 6 pieces.

Now I could delete 6 rocks from the modded stack. The counter would be at 50 again.

So basically you can convert pieces without any negative aspects. But watch out! If the counter is at 50 (or 100 if you use blocks, inclines, ...) and you delete *one more* piece the counter will jump to 0 and you can't convert anymore pieces. You would have to delete all the modded pieces.
With this technique you could make 306 (256 modded pieces + 50 general pieces) trees for example. Almost no limitations...

I hope I could help you a little bit or/and change your view on how you look at modded maps. I'm well experienced in using modded maps, so if you have any questions just hit me up. ;)

3. Modded content:

• Forge Island
  • Impact
  • Ravine
  • Erosion

Happy forging! Don't forget: Always use one stack instead of two.

Last edited:

adderrson

Esteemed Lemon
Staff member
Jan 16, 2013
Although I don't approve of a lot of the things you do buddy, this thread is informative, colourful, to the point and easy to follow. It serves as an excellent resource for forgers new to using a modded canvas in an easy to read and understand format. :y:

Reactions: Buddy