• Very Interested

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Somewhat Interested

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Not Interested

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
front-page-cool-stuff.png

Hello my good sirs and madams, and welcome to a new year of Halo-customy goodness. An idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I recently let it bounce around the rest of the staff's heads for a time. I've always been a big fan of Minecraft, and I have never had the chance to play on a big server with people I know. Well it just so happens that our friendly neighborhood Bigstack has some servers! We are talking about potentially getting one set up for Halo Customs members to use, and we wanted to judge community interest. Take note that this would be a side project that would not take away time/ resources from other parts of the site.

The poll above will be used to judge the number of people who have some level of interest in participating in a Halo Customs Minecraft server. Corduroy Chuck, myself, and several other staff members are discussing what type of server this might be and what types of rules it would have. As of now nothing is set in stone, but if you have a preference for a specific type of server, feel free to leave feedback in the comments.

One thing we would like to get a feel for as well is if there is any interest in mods for such a server. I have a good amount of experience with modded minecraft, so community willing we could eventually add some mods in to spice things up. We will likely be starting with Vanilla to keep things simple, but I'd like to gauge interest in that as well.

Anywho, let us know down below if :mine:craft is where you want to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jebus
well i never thought "it would be cool if we made a minecraft server" would actually turn into a real server. it looks like the ball is actually rolling on this, and that's all thanks to Shoe's enthusiasm. i've got no power here :D

stay tuned ya'll. in the meantime, any suggestions or ideas that will enhance the current plan are welcomed

MineCustoms Update! (Halo-craftstoms?)

We've made a lot of progress on the server! Most of the plugins are working well and we are fast approaching opening day! The worlds are generated and working with the correct permissions, and the spawn city is nearly complete. Here is a run down of some basic things players will want to know before entering the game for the first time:

Build World:

When you first spawn into the server you will be in Build World, right at the heart of Spawn City. Within the city limits you are protected from mobs, PvP, burn damage, explosions... pretty much everything besides fall damage. This is a safe area where you can obtain services, get an apartment, and meet up with others in safety! The city will not be complete, as we want to leave room for others to add in their own shops, houses, and whatever else the city might need!

Outside the city it is a bit more dangerous, as mobs will attack. However, if you are going to make an interesting build this is the place to do it. Here you can have somewhat protected builds where you need not fear interference from other players, as any form of griefing is strictly forbidden! So long as you are in build world feel safe to build, but remember that this is still survival and you do need to keep yourself alive! We may hold build contests here at times as well, with the best of the best being preserved (in some form or another) even after world resets.

The Wilds:

Within the city limits there is a teleport building. The main portal will take you to a land known as The Wilds. In the spawn of the wilds the protections of build world linger, but once outside of the city ALL BETS ARE OFF. Mobs, explosions, and fire are all things to worry about and combat is on Hard difficulty. Furthermore, once far enough out of the city PvP is enabled! If you are looking to fight your friends this is the place to go. If you do venture into the wilds it would be wise to bring armor and a weapon, not to mention a good supply of food.

While The Wilds are a dangerous place, they are also a rewarding one. There are many things that can only be found inside the Wilds, including Dark Oak trees, Giant Mushrooms, Diamonds, Emeralds, and Lapis Lazuli. If you want to get ahold of these materials you will need to travel into the wilds to get them. There may also be a chance to enter The End from The Wilds at some point, as there is no way to enter it from Build World.

User Levels and Permissions:

Grunt: New players who need to earn our trust. Grunts do not have full building permissions yet. After a set amount of time Grunts will be automatically promoted to Marines.

Marine: Standard players on the server. Regular Halocustoms members will be automatically promoted to Marine rank.

Heretic: While PvP is allowed in the Wilds, it is not without consequence. Any member who kills a non-heretic member (or steals from them and is caught) will be branded a Heretic until the next Wilds world reset. Heretics have the same permissions as Marines, but everyone will know what you did and may be more wary trusting you. On the other hand, there are some who may decide they want to be marked as a Heretic. The choice is yours!

Spartan: Moderators, essentially. HC staff playing on the server will be immediately promoted to Spartans, thought longtime players who have helped out may be recruited as well.

Prophet: Your administrative overlords! Admins on HC and those of us who run the server are Prophet tier and have all access in order to maintain the server.

What's Left To Do?

At this point we have a few bugs to work out and a few more buildings to build before we can get to Beta testing. Once we have that done and we are sure that everything works as it is supposed to the server will be ready to go. Expect to be able to get on in a couple of weeks time! Until then, we'll keep you up to date on what's going on.

My god, the wait is just KILLING me. I am so hyped for this!
Also, I assume that the Build World will have the basic materials (Iron, coal, various woods, etc.). Is that so? Cause I would like to set up a smithy like I did in another server (with Anvils, crafting tables and the like)

Last edited:
Build
My god, the wait is just KILLING me. I am so hyped for this!
Also, I assume that the Builf World will have the basic materials (Iron, coal, various woods, etc.). Is that so? Cause I would like to set up a smithy like I did in another server (with Anvils, crafting tables and the like)
world will have normal materials, just no diamonds, emeralds, or lapis (not 100% on the lapis. Definitely no diamonds or emeralds though!)

But, why no emeralds or diamonds? Surely it's survival?

I can't read

Anything on a creative buildy thing?

But, why no emeralds or diamonds? Surely it's survival?

I can't read

Anything on a creative buildy thing?
Sorry Sky, no creative mode. However, we might be able to make something happen.

So we just finished building the spawn city, but we haven't built all of it up 100%. We've left a lot of stuff to be done by users, and if we had someone build in spawn city it would be done with creative permissions to make sure that the style was able to be kept similar. So keep an eye out for that. ;)

At this point we're testing to make sure permissions are working and we are bringing in the moderators to take a look at things and get used to the setup we have going. Once that is all done, the gates will be thrown open!

There is something interesting I wanted to bring up as well. Chuck and I designed an interesting system for how to get to the Nether. Now, in The Wilds there is a normal, separate Nether that were haven't touched, and you can go there normally. However, if you want to go to the Build World Nether there are a few changes. First off, you won't need diamonds or obsidian to get there, because you can't activate a portal in Build World. We will be giving out Nether Portals as prizes to people at times, but usually you will have to go find one. There are 6 portals hidden in build world within 2000 blocks from spawn. Some are closer, some are farther, all are hidden to some degree. Three of these portals will all take you to the same place, the Nether Pavilion, which isn't protected but at least has a small hut built around it to help you hide from Ghasts. Exiting through this portal will take you back to Spawn City and you will be unable to re-enter this portal from the city. This way players living far out can use the hidden nether portals as a means to get quickly to the city... once they find them. The farthest 3 portals will not take you to the pavilion, but will still make the walk a lot shorter as the nether is a lot smaller than the over world. We may also give out a prize (or at least a cookie) to the first person to find all of the nether portals hidden around the world. ;)