• Very Interested

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Somewhat Interested

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Not Interested

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
front-page-cool-stuff.png

Hello my good sirs and madams, and welcome to a new year of Halo-customy goodness. An idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I recently let it bounce around the rest of the staff's heads for a time. I've always been a big fan of Minecraft, and I have never had the chance to play on a big server with people I know. Well it just so happens that our friendly neighborhood Bigstack has some servers! We are talking about potentially getting one set up for Halo Customs members to use, and we wanted to judge community interest. Take note that this would be a side project that would not take away time/ resources from other parts of the site.

The poll above will be used to judge the number of people who have some level of interest in participating in a Halo Customs Minecraft server. Corduroy Chuck, myself, and several other staff members are discussing what type of server this might be and what types of rules it would have. As of now nothing is set in stone, but if you have a preference for a specific type of server, feel free to leave feedback in the comments.

One thing we would like to get a feel for as well is if there is any interest in mods for such a server. I have a good amount of experience with modded minecraft, so community willing we could eventually add some mods in to spice things up. We will likely be starting with Vanilla to keep things simple, but I'd like to gauge interest in that as well.

Anywho, let us know down below if :mine:craft is where you want to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jebus
Shoot, I completly forgot Creative mode was a thing. I iz intelligent :confused:
Also, I know some servers (Voc Populi, for example) use a certain texture pack or custom skins of their choice to make the server unique. Mind you, they are usually quite large, with many people working on each server. Any thoughts on this? Just curious.

A successful system I have seen is having a survival world but with a safe spawn town where people can be given allotments to build their own house that is protected from other players. Survival is fun but this site has a lot of creative people that would be put off from building their own homes if they were getting burgled and destroyed all the time. I am unsure as to what the exact name of the pluggins were but I will try to find out if I can. Definitely start of with vanilla first though and see how it goes. Assuming people wont burn down anything that gets built, there may be no need for a bunch of mods.

A successful system I have seen is having a survival world but with a safe spawn town where people can be given allotments to build their own house that is protected from other players. Survival is fun but this site has a lot of creative people that would be put off from building their own homes if they were getting burgled and destroyed all the time. I am unsure as to what the exact name of the pluggins were but I will try to find out if I can. Definitely start of with vanilla first though and see how it goes. Assuming people wont burn down anything that gets built, there may be no need for a bunch of mods.

We've got some ideas in place for providing plenty of safe building space while still requiring players to go into dangerous territory to get ahold of many of the higher tier resources.

We've got some ideas in place for providing plenty of safe building space while still requiring players to go into dangerous territory to get ahold of many of the higher tier resources.
All the diamonds shall be mein and I'll cut you if you take em.

Having a Server would be great! I've had tons of fun even on vanilla servers in the past. I recommend Skype for talking. Its the easiest to set up for anyone, in my opinion.

Having a Server would be great! I've had tons of fun even on vanilla servers in the past. I recommend Skype for talking. Its the easiest to set up for anyone, in my opinion.
Come to think of it, I could attempt to use Skype for voice chat. I did upgrade my download speed slightly recently so it may not be laggy for me.

Last edited:
I can't stand skype voice calls tbh, or any kind of large group chat.

We could just have a no-griefing/stealing rule enforced, there are a couple of good server tools available for all this.

I can't stand skype voice calls tbh, or any kind of large group chat.

We could just have a no-griefing/stealing rule enforced, there are a couple of good server tools available for all this.
We're working on a list of plug-ins for the server, Chuck knows a lot of good ones we might use.

So here is a summation of what we are thinking of doing. This is an idea Chuck brought forward and we've been tinkering with.

There will be two worlds in this server linked via a portal. Each world will have different rules, but also different resources. Players will spawn in Build World, which is a survival world but with no PvP or any kind of griefing/ stealing allowed. We will be using the plug-ins in this world to keep players from doing anything to damage one anthers builds. Players can still mine and fight mobs in this world. However, resources in this world will be more limited, with items such as diamonds and emeralds (and perhaps more) being unavailable entirely here. In order to obtain higher tier resources, players will need to travel through a portal to The Wilds. In The Wilds, the restrictions that protect you and your work do not all apply. Things you build here are subject to change by anyone, and while PvP will likely still be turned off it would be wise to watch your back. All resources will be fully available in this world. The Wilds will also be subject to more frequent world resets, making sure there are always new resources and dangers to discover.

We are still working on the specifics of all of the rules and stipulations for each world, but this is the general idea. One world mostly for building, one world mostly for survival and resource gathering.

Any chance of a creative area? I'm not really a survivalist.
We'll keep it in mind and see what the demand is, but at the start we want to keep everyone in the same space/ world (I'm considering the build/ survival world one world, as everyone will use both.) You should be able to spend most of the time in the build world without having to worry about too much, we'll likely keep it at a lower difficulty and unless you really need diamonds, redstone, or emeralds, and you can always trade with people for such resources.

I'm interested in a server.... but the version of PC Minecraft I have is old and would likely be incompatible...
You can upgrade or downgrade your version at any time from the launcher. I regularly played on 1.6.4 until a few months ago, then I started playing 1.7.10, and now I'm on 1.8.2. I still have worlds on the old versions however, and I just switch the version back when I want to play them.