Event Meet Your Maker: BTB Forge Contest

mym-btb-1.png

Introduction
Hello ladies and gentle-forgers, and welcome to the fourth iteration of the Meet Your Maker forge contest! Halo 5 introduced an incredible new suite of game mechanics, as well as the most powerful Forge in Halo history. With most players now well versed in both the gameplay and the new systems, we felt that it was time to put your skills to the test! MYM is back and bigger than ever, with judges from 3 different websites and partnerships with many more.

Reflecting this growth in scope the contest has taken on, you the forgers are tasked with tackling the largest-scale arena mode that Halo has to offer: Big Team Battle. That's right, the maps that we are looking for will be designed for full-scale, 8 vs. 8 player combat! This is an opportunity to explore the full suite of sandbox options available in Halo 5, as well as to really push the new forge to its limits. Of course, there's more to making a great BTB map that just making it big, they still need to play tight and fast paced! We can't wait to see what kind of incredible, original designs come out of this contest. Good luck, and happy forging!

Prizes
Each of the three winners will receive the following prizes.
  • Video and written features from various partners associated with the contest
  • A Halo 5 poster, signed by the team at 343 Industries
  • An in-game Arena REQ Bundle
Settings and Modes
Maps should be designed for one or more of the following modes.
  • Big Team Assault (Magnums)
  • Big Team CTF (Magnums)
  • Big Team Slayer (Magnums)
  • Big Team Strongholds (Magnums)
Deadlines and Details
  • Maps must be created in Halo 5: Guardians' forge mode
  • Maps already integrated into Halo 5: Guradians' matchmaking playlists are not eligible
  • Maps created by staff members of HaloCustoms, 343Industries Community Forum, BigTeamBattle.net, and other associated partners are not eligible
  • Maps must be posted in the map submission thread and follow all submission guidelines
  • Maps must be submitted before 11:59 PM EST on July 31, 2016
  • Co-forging is allowed, but collaborators will need to select one person to receive any and all physical prizes
  • Multiple submissions per person are allowed
  • Maps submitted early may be edited and re-submitted prior to the submission deadline
Judging
  • Maps will be judged by a panel consisting of staff members of HaloCustoms, 343Industries Community Forum, BigTeamBattle.net, and associated partners
  • The panel will include experienced forgers and level designers, big team battle experts, and professional players
  • Judging will continue for a number of weeks following the submission deadline
  • Maps will be judged on how well they support their primary gametype at the 8v8 player count
  • Criteria include originality, replayability, performance, and level of depth and enjoyment of gameplay experience as determined by the panel of judges
FAQ and Resources
Q. Which groups are involved in hosting this event?
A. HaloCustoms, BigTeamBattle.net, 343industries.org, Vetoed, ZannyVids, Unsorted Gaming, and Ultimate Halo.​

Q. Why Magnum starts?
A. Related ForgeHub video

Q. What elements should my map contain to be deemed 'finished'?
A. Related ForgeHub video

Q. Where can I go to get feedback on my map during the contest?
A. What Are You Working On? thread

Q. Where can I go to test my map during the contest?
A. HaloCustoms featured lobbies

Q. Where do I submit maps?
A. Meet Your Maker: BTB Submission thread

Q. How many maps can I submit?
A. As many as you like!

Q. Can I submit remakes of maps from past Halo titles or other game franchises?
A. Yes, but this is not recommended as creativity is one of the judging criteria.

Q. Will my map have a higher chance of winning if it supports multiple gametypes?
A. We recommend that you focus on designing your map around one or two modes. A jack of all trades is often a master of none.

Q. Can I submit a map created before the announcement of the contest?
A. Yes, but we'd recommend using this opportunity to get additional testing done.

Q. Do I need to reside in a specific country/region or be of a certain age to participate?
A. Nope!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello ,
I have a couple of really important questions regarding the contest.

1) Since its BTB with magnum starts I assume that we should include a sufficient amount of magnums on the map, maybe even more than lets say brs or carbines ect?
2) Is it a good idea to say that our map plays atleast 2 gametypes for example really well if we firmly believe it does for both or is it a "safer" idea to just pick 1 gametype that we think plays the absolute best and just list that one only?

Thanks for your time.

Hello ,
I have a couple of really important questions regarding the contest.

1) Since its BTB with magnum starts I assume that we should include a sufficient amount of magnums on the map, maybe even more than lets say brs or carbines ect?
2) Is it a good idea to say that our map plays atleast 2 gametypes for example really well if we firmly believe it does for both or is it a "safer" idea to just pick 1 gametype that we think plays the absolute best and just list that one only?

Thanks for your time.
1. Forgers are responsible for choosing the weapon set for their own maps. This is a part of the design and testing process like any other.
2. Maps will ultimately be judged on their performance for their primary gametype. Supporting others well is a bonus. :)