Contest HaloCustoms Map Design Competition

ypsMady.png
Once upon a time, our resident Dax hosted a competition that forced forgers to drop their controllers and design a map under strict criteria. Halo 5 forge is just over the horizon, so what better way to stimulate your creative fluids than by resurrecting such a competition. That being said, I'm happy to announce the first installment of the HaloCustoms Design Contest! You can read about the details and cool prizes below.

Competition Details:
Below, you'll find two sets of numbered cards, each containing a unique design parameter. The blue numbers contain standards that relate to the overall layout and the red numbers contain specific design elements. If you choose to participate, you'll select one number from each set and be given the corresponding parameters. From there, you have until the submission deadline to design a map that not only adheres to the given criteria, but is also tailored to the following gamemode:

4v4 Team Slayer
paabEiF.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MNIFIRn.png
q02qzfx.png
6YgStVv.png
MNIFIRn.png
QKSkIhC.png
iQpqMGH.png
MHkO7pl.png
Q2yM8im.png

MNIFIRn.png
MNIFIRn.png
sniAtOI.png
YmYbfJv.png
CzoRYwB.png
ucQLjAB.png
Ev2VJCI.png
4KwCh1o.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Submission Requirements:
• Submissions must be entered by 11:59 CST on December 21st.
• Participants may only submit one design.
• Submissions must adhere to their criteria in order to be eligible.
• The design may be created through any medium (hand-drawn, 3D modelling, graphic editing programs, etc), but the submission must be a schematic.
• Submissions should be legible and understandable.
You may submit here.

Prizes:
Winner: Halo 5 concept art signed by Sparth and additional Halo merchandise
Runner Up: $10 Xbox Live Gift Card (or closest alternative in your local currency)

Judging Process:
The winning submission will be decided on by the members of our corrupted staff team here at HaloCustoms. The submissions will be judged based on the following criteria.
• The creativity and overall quality of the design.
• How well the design adheres to the given criteria.​

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can numbers be used more than once?
A. Nada. Once a number has been chosen, its card is removed from the list. We'd like to make sure that no two people get the same parameters.

Q. How do I get my parameters?
A. You may reply to this thread with the numbers that you would like and we'll reply with the corresponding parameters!

Q. What happens when the numbers run out?
A. We have more parameters lined up in our secret batcave. If we reach more than 16 participants, we'll expand the amount of the numbers accordingly.

Q. Can we get feedback on our submissions before posting them?
A. Absolutely. In fact, I would encourage everybody to post their sketches in the WAYWO thread.

Q. How do we see what the numbers correspond to?
A. You don't. The idea behind this competition is to challenge each participant by giving them two arbitrary parameters to work with in the design process. We've made sure that said parameters are all within the same difficulty range, so don't fret about getting a hard one.

Q. Are the designs for any Halo or only Halo 5?
A. The maps must be designed for Halo 5, yes.

Q, Should we include a weapon layout?
A. Yes. Weapons are an integral part of the design process, so they should most definitely be included in the final product.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Want to add another trophy to your collection? If you submit an eligible design to this contest, you will earn yourself one!​

Last edited:
Thanks to everybody that's participating! This has been more popular than we thought it would be, so we'll be adding a new set of numbers in tomorrow in case anybody else would like to enter.

Red 12 and Blue 10 instead :D
d094Lim.png
7sgMjtK.png

As with the others, that doesn't have to be a strict combination. We just want to see a distinct blend of the elements seen in those maps. If you have questions about the second one, let me know.
I'll give it a shot, both 5's please!
91IiOAk.png
iIfcewF.png

Red 2, Blue 13 please
mA0gDt8.png
HF2Bm44.png

By "bridge-based", I mean a style that's reminiscent of Guardian and Lockout. You should have a fun time with the second one considering all the spartan abilities Halo 5 has to offer.
I'll enter. Red 8 Blue 16 please.
OzowZNk.png
5TpCvDh.png

Reactions: PDP and -Orzium-
Thanks to everybody that's participating! This has been more popular than we thought it would be, so we'll be adding a new set of numbers in tomorrow in case anybody else would like to enter.

d094Lim.png
7sgMjtK.png

I'm a little bit confused by the map layout requirement. These are both very different (albeit both asymm) maps. so is the requirement to make a kind of box shaped map with different towers in each base?
I'm guessing a floor-o-porter is a teleporter in the floor?

Reactions: Auburn
Cool, I'll take Blue 11 and Red 4 please.
o4XiP9B.png
UKdVPdF.png

I'm a little bit confused by the map layout requirement. These are both very different (albeit both asymm) maps. so is the requirement to make a kind of box shaped map with different towers in each base?
I'm guessing a floor-o-porter is a teleporter in the floor?
Nope, I'm not asking for anything specific. Just think about the elements that distinguish those maps and try to integrate them into a new design. Hopefully that clears it up a little.

24 and 24.
z3L2egu.png
6ar2UpI.png

As with the others, that doesn't have to be a strict combination. We just want to see a distinct blend of the elements seen in those maps.

Awesome numbers and awesome task. Does this have to be brand new? Or can I alter a design I did to further fit these requirements?

Awesome numbers and awesome task. Does this have to be brand new? Or can I alter a design I did to further fit these requirements?
This contest is all about creating new designs within odd constraints. If you borrow elements from your past works, it won't hurt, but we ask that you create a new design based on the criteria you've been assigned.

Reactions: BlazeDillon
ypsMady.png
Once upon a time, our resident Dax hosted a competition that forced forgers to drop their controllers and design a map under strict criteria. Halo 5 forge is just over the horizon, so what better way to stimulate your creative fluids than by resurrecting such a competition. That being said, I'm happy to announce the first installment of the HaloCustoms Design Contest! You can read about the details and cool prizes below.

Competition Details:
Below, you'll find two sets of numbered cards, each containing a unique design parameter. The blue numbers contain standards that relate to the overall layout and the red numbers contain specific design elements. If you choose to participate, you'll select one number from each set and be given the corresponding parameters. From there, you have until the submission deadline to design a map that not only adheres to the given criteria, but is also tailored to the following gamemode:

4v4 Team Slayer
paabEiF.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

5Zwkxs2.png

Hy1yVYp.png

KAaTujJ.png

EqWijT7.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Submission Requirements:
• Submissions must be entered in this thread by 11:59 CST on December 21st.
• Participants may only submit one design.
• Submissions must adhere to their criteria in order to be eligible.
• The design may be created through any medium (hand-drawn, 3D modelling, graphic editing programs, etc), but the submission must be a schematic.
• Submissions should be legible and understandable.
You may submit here.

Prizes:
Winner: Halo 5 concept art signed by Sparth and additional Halo merchandise
Runner Up: $10 Xbox Live Gift Card (or closest alternative in your local currency)

Judging Process:
The winning submission will be decided on by the members of our corrupted staff team here at HaloCustoms. The submissions will be judged based on the following criteria.
• The creativity and overall quality of the design.
• How well the design adheres to the given criteria.​

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can numbers be used more than once?
A. Nada. Once a number has been chosen, its card is removed from the list. We'd like to make sure that no two people get the same parameters.

Q. How do I get my parameters?
A. You may reply to this thread with the numbers that you would like and we'll reply with the corresponding parameters!

Q. What happens when the numbers run out?
A. We have more parameters lined up in our secret batcave. If we reach more than 16 participants, we'll expand the amount of the numbers accordingly.

Q. Can we get feedback on our submissions before posting them?
A. Absolutely. In fact, I would encourage everybody to post their sketches in the WAYWO thread.

Q. How do we see what the numbers correspond to?
A. You don't. The idea behind this competition is to challenge each participant by giving them two arbitrary parameters to work with in the design process. We've made sure that said parameters are all within the same difficulty range, so don't fret about getting a hard one.​
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Want to add another trophy to your collection? If you submit an eligible design to this contest, you will earn yourself one!​
Happy Holidays!

I would like to enter the contest with blue and red 21 please.