Halo Customs Server Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
Hi Everyone Bigstack here with a quick server update. Last night a hard drive had failed in our raid and we went offline while that drive was replaced and were running at 100% again. Additionally over the past month we have had directed SYN flood attacks to this site. Those 5-10 minute windows where the site is very slow or is down is the cause of this. When this happens your lovable admin by the name of Bigstack ( I love cookies feel free to send) has alarms that go off on his phone and wake him up at 3 am (this is always a blast!) and I have to manually start blocking the attacking IPs. I have recently half automated this and the server is able to take care of itself for the smaller attacks. But no worries I am coming up with alternatives for when these attacks are directed at us.

On another note keep a look out for some tasty stats and figures from our site from the last month and also a new podcast episode!

BigStack!

Fuzzle

Wuschelig
Jan 10, 2013
Under the Traveler
thank you so much bigstack! i thought we had a hard time banning bajillions of spambots, but this is far worse... with the new security you implemented i hardly see bots signing up :) im gonna buy the biggest german cookie and ship it over to the US

Jan 29, 2013
Are these flood attacks trying to bring the server down or just trying to pump it for information?

If to bring it down, can you identify who is sending the traffic (not the server, but the people)?

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
Are these flood attacks trying to bring the server down or just trying to pump it for information?

If to bring it down, can you identify who is sending the traffic (not the server, but the people)?

SYN floods are meant to take a server down or make it unusable. Its hard to find the actual person cause the IPs used for the attacks are either hijacked servers or innocent peoples computers that have been infected with a bot net like virus no one smart enough to launch an attack would ever use there real IP / computer.

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
You guys are just awesome for doing this (especially BigStack). You give a lot back to the community and I know I appreciate it. Thanx you guys and thank you BigStack :) I know you wanted a cookie, but I ate them all. Here is a "chocolate" bunny instead. :bunny: If it moves just ignore that, it's completely edible and very tasty!

Reactions: Fuzzle

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
You guys are just awesome for doing this (especially BigStack). You give a lot back to the community and I know I appreciate it. Thanx you guys and thank you BigStack :) I know you wanted a cookie, but I ate them all. Here is a "chocolate" bunny instead. :bunny: If it moves just ignore that, it's completely edible and very tasty!

Bunnys R good to... no nutz im allergic

Reactions: NinetysBorn
Status
Not open for further replies.