Halo Customs Map Design Competition | Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
This is where you can submit your designs for the Halo Customs Design Contest. This thread will be locked at 11:59 CST on December 21st, so make sure that you submit before then. Please use the following template when submitting.
Design Name:
Assigned Criteria:
Image(s) of Design:

Additional Notes:

The additional notes section is there so that you can list any details that are not immediately evident in your design. This could include a visual key, scale, etc.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Submission Requirements:
• Submissions must be entered in this thread by 11:59 CST on December 21st.
• Participants may only submit one design.
• Submissions must adhere to their criteria in order to be eligible.
• Submissions must be hand-drawn or created in a 3D modeling program.
• Submissions should be legible and understandable.​

Prizes:
Winner: Halo 5 concept art signed by Sparth and additional Halo merchandise
Runner Up: $10 Xbox Live Gift Card (or closest alternative in your local currency)

Judging Process:
The winning submission will be decided on by the members of our corrupted staff team here at HaloCustoms. The submissions will be judged based on the following criteria.
• The creativity and overall quality of the design.
• How well the design adheres to the given criteria.​

Stevo

The Grinchmind
Dec 31, 2012
United Kingdom
Design name: derpmap1
Assigned Criteria:
The layout of the map must be a combination of: Longshore & Headlong.
You must incorporate a Floor-o-porter
Image of Design:
ormp3b.png

Autodesk stuff: (the lighting isn't the best in that application. It looks far better in the app itself)
1zpo7k1.png

a0v5o4.png

jzd11f.png

(The stripy bits are ramps/elevations. White is a wall/barrier/inaccessible area.)

Additional Notes:
I made this pretty quickly because I'll likely forget and then not submit anything.

The layout I figured had to be "tower" orientated like both Headlong and Longshore combat was. The picture details lower levels in lighter shades, and higher levels in darker shades.

The lowest level is just terrain and would surround the three towers connected by pathways. The lower left corner would be the attacker's base. It offers little to no advantage of holding that area but has immediate access to the level 3 walkways. I figure some basic vehicles can be spawned here. A Warthog or Ghost depending on the overall size of the map that Halo 5 Forge would allow to build (I'm aiming for a much bigger play space here than currently presented in matchmaking!).
The defender's base is in the top right corner. Isolated for the most part, but keeps the highest elevated point of the map (to match Longshore). While this wouldn't be my choice of flag spawn, it's there to offer a strong counter position from the attacking Spartans.

The "Floor-o-porter" is the red circle on the map. This a sender node only, and is accessed by dropping down from Level 2 to Level 0 where the player will enter the teleporter. This descending momentum will then thrust the player outwards and upwards at the Red triangle. From here, the player can attempt to access the Defender's Level 4 platform.

In the bottom-right corner of the map is a tunnel with three pillars which connects the attackers tower directly to the defenders tower (taken directly from Headlong). Active Camo would be found here... obviously.
Now to allow for more Longshore-esque layout and gameplay, the neutral tower in the top left, with the flanking ground-level passage behind it consists mainly of levels inside a tower, plus various balconies around the outside. It's supposed to more resemble the Defenders tower on Longshore, but I felt it had to be expanded to also try and simulate some of the interior, close-quarter-combat scenarios you often found on Longshore.

Finally the Level 3 walkway that predominately covers the central area of the map is to almost mimic the broken highway from Headlong, while also providing a good counter-point for any Defending teams willing to push forward and try force the attackers to be contained within their own base.
This walkway would likely be the main method of reaching the Defender's base for the attackers since it would be easily accessed by jumping from the Level 3 platform to the Level 2 balcony.

Last edited:

BlazeDillon

Proficient
Jan 25, 2013
Monument
(name to subject to change)
Description: Covenant structure found surfaced in the shallow waters of a large body of water. Partially flooded and overgrown overlooking a night time horizon light up my the few moons circling the planet.
(also subject to change)

Some obvious influences were taking from both Haven and Countdown like the structure shape of some of the plays paces, height variation and both are 4v4 symmetrical maps but here are some specific things I wanted to borrow from those design.

Haven: Long streets with high traffic choke point that aren't restricted or narrow hall ways. Making it easy for a good team to set up for clean ups without making a push and exposing themselves. The simplicity and lack of snags or clutter. Sneaky ledge that can be used as alternative pathing or a nerdy spot to get the jump on your opponent and taking the rail gun from the weapon set.

Countdown: Spawn control being a must. Taking over the opposing teams tower will lead them to spawn on lower levels and controlling yours will give your team access to the height advantage right away. The balcony. The 3rd floor acts as of a lobby having easy access to many areas but limiting some lines of sight. and taking the rockets from the weapon set.

Card 2-

The third floor is accessible climber/thruster/both. The windows on both side of the island is only accessible with clamber and a route near camo is for sliding under. And lastly both towers will likely also be clever only.

Floor 1 houses just the camp as far as power weapons. Puddles of water on this level can alarm serve as an indicator of a camouflaged player.

Floor 2 has both rockets and rail placed. Both easily accessible and risky areas. approaching these spaces from the bottom will provide you with the most cover but make sure you have a teammate assisting you from the top and catch players off guard as they look down on you.

Floor 3 hosts an island that provides a clamber up to the top floor. Again controlling top is important as you will be forced to travel down to a lower floor to move from one side of the map to the other otherwise.

Floor 4 is only accessible with clamber or a precise thruster from one of the towers. Many lines of sight are available to pressure a player to move from top but you'll likely have to communicate with a teammate and engage together to ensure he doesn't contest it again shortly after.

It may be hard to visualize because my schematics game is on organized mess status, so hopefully this will help.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Orzium-

Cheeze

Adept
May 26, 2013
Purgatory
cheeeeeeeeze.tumblr.com
Design Name: Long John
Assigned Criteria:
jVrKwwo.png
Nlr4hOW.png

Image(s) of Design:
Completed iso-ish view
SewuZbi.png

Top down
Cjd5wpL.png

Iso First floor
2IHTZ8N.png

Iso Second and Third Floor
c289ojm.png

Weapon layout

mgNS6lf.png

Rockets have 4 shots, spawns every 120 secs
Sniper has 2 clips (8 shots) spawns every 180
Hydra has the normal amount
Shotgun has the normal amount

Additional Notes: I forgot to label initial spawns, but they are on the bottom floor, against the north and south wall (Above and below) the "11" weapon. The blue opaque pyramids are gravity lifts, not active camo.

*Note to judges, this has been updated.

Last edited:

ToaDrakua

Qualified
Oct 7, 2014
Design Name: Wharf
Assigned Criteria:
m44HEtc.png
MdPWNZr.png

Image(s) of Design:
Wharf Blueprint David.jpeg

Additional Notes:

Okay, design notes, design notes...

Alright, here goes. First off, I had somewhat of a hard time with creating this map. At first, I had a solid outline, I knew what I was going for, and then as I started getting to the details, it started to get a bit difficult, due to having to incorporate Halo 5's movement set. It started out simply enough, with the main area of the map being connected to an outer ring in a sort of fusion between the letters K and U. I placed the platforms from wizard on the lower platform at the ring's crest. Later on I moved them to the central area of the map to add more verticality, and put two circular platforms so players could jump up to rocket spawn (represented by the letter "R" in the trapezoid on the sketch above). Meanwhile the wizard platforms can serve as cover for approaching the sniper spawn (the "S" in a trapezoid). As well as that, there are two jump-ups next to sniper spawn represented by arrows detailing movement.

To show verticality on this 2-dimensional drawing, I resorted to using a number system, with 3 being the highest point, and 0 being a pit that covers a large portion of the map. The circles labeled "2B" are free standing platforms over the pit that serves a means to travel the map, each with man cannon leading off of them (pathing being the arrows leading away from a diamond). In addition to these platforms, there are the two bridges stemming from the center of the map that can only be reached by the afore mentioned man-cannon towers (meaning they can be walked under easily enough).

On the lower left and right hand corners of the map are the Red and Blue team spawns. Just outside of them is an L-shaped wall with a hole cut out for spartan-sliding under (again represented by arrows, this time cutting through the walls).

Map Weapons (designated by Letters):

S – Sniper Rifle
R – Rocket Launcher
D – DMR
B – Battle Rifle
M – SMG
P – Plasma Pistol

Height Mapping (and associated locations):

0 – The Pit
1 – Main Floor
1/2 – Bit of a mistake here, this is supposed to be the cylindrical jump-ups to Rocket Spawn.
2 – Bridge, Man-cannon platforms, Wizard platforms, stairway leading to Sniper
3 – Sniper Spawn

Last edited:

Sn1p3r C

Qualified
Nov 30, 2015
I thought the deadline was 11:59 PST... Hope it's not too late!

Design Name: Binder
Description: One-sided objective with 5-8 players.
Criteria 1: You design the map around one of the first three letters in your name (S)
Criteria 2: You must use the Rock Arch from Beaver Creek. (Used in Red Base, at bottom of map)

Since the scan was too wide, I uploaded it to Imgur.

Pencil and paper submission, since learning Forge took priority over Sketchup. It's crude, as I tend use my paper designs as reminders of my intent, rather than communicate them, but I hope you can glean what I aimed for.

The name "Binder" is a mining term meaning "A streak of impurity in a coal seam." The visual design will be built around a mine shaft that has been taken over by Insurrectionists. (That "streak of impurity" from the UNSC's perspective) I hope the story will play out in the one-sided objective gametypes I've designed it around. The goal is to invert the gameplay from Halo 3's High Ground, so the defending team will actually be at a lower elevation.

I've got a few real world places to base the visuals off of, and I'd be happy to share pics if anyone's curious. Can't take pics in the airplane factory, though ;)

Edited: Formatted post and added design name/criteria.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.