Halo Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

S0UL FLAME

Proficient
Apr 17, 2014
So... anything new is bad?

If the new thing added is a positive thing for gameplay, along with it not messing with the core, it's fine. But the thing is, nearly everything in that trailer is a large step away from how Halo works. The new things I have put, in my opinion, keep the Halo feel better than what was shown. And to be honest, I wonder how 343 came up with it when I basically just gave them a much more refined version of their new Next Gen Arena.

Tedium

I Used to be Somebody
Dec 24, 2012
UK
And to be honest, I wonder how 343 came up with it when I basically just gave them a much more refined version of their new Next Gen Arena.

With the restrictions of your criteria, the margin for improvement beyond the repeated is far beyond what is reasonable. If they followed your lead, change and improvement become mutually exclusive, and improvement becomes synonymous with mistake, while repetition takes its place as the optimal path forward. Not to mention the fact that their changes either nominally alter existing factors (clambering won't be game breaking), or are built with a focus of core preservation in mind, ie Unlimited Sprint imitating the uniform speed of previous games, and Smart Scope being just a stylistic version of clicking in the right stick - functions exactly the same.

If you want an older Halo game, play an older Halo game. New games are new.

S0UL FLAME

Proficient
Apr 17, 2014
If you want an older Halo game, play an older Halo game. New games are new.

The new game doesn't need to change something that has worked so well, physically or aesthetically. Sprint, no matter what the downsides, still is a factor in Halo that is frowned upon because of the negation of Movement and Prediction. Clamber doesn't break the game, but it is yet another addition to Movement that takes a skill away. Smart Scope may be just another version of Halo's zoom, but it was chosen to bring in the casual crowd, just because.

Your argument of Sprint in H5 functioning as the uniform speed is flawed; in the original trilogy, you could move and fire at the same time, at any given point. Sprint is there for a faster movement option with the tradeoff of not being able to use your gun, AND now your shields don't recharge. That is something only H5 has, not any of the others. Plus, the idea of having to make the maps bigger to accommodate this function is ridiculous. H5's Midship is the size of a damn whale, and for what? To balance the fucking button that makes you go faster.

That's fucking stupid.

You know what would have worked better? If they introduced everything shown, EXCEPT sprint. If the base movement speed was quicker, and more responsive than ever before. The maps reasoning for expanding would only to accommodate the sheer quickness of running, AND gunning at the same time. Not because of a function.

The other additions in H5 are great for movement and offensive play. All they need is good balancing. As for Sprint?

Sprint will never work in an Arena Game. We've got two games for proof. We don't need a third.

aligator ac

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
United Kingdom
Sprint doesn't bother me at all. I was fine with it in Halo 4. In Halo I didn't see anything game-breaking about it to me and this is coming from a guy that hardly uses it. I never complained about it.

theSpinCycle

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
Second shield bar displays current "health". You'll notice that once the top bar (shield) runs out and players are hit in the body, the bottom bar (health) starts dropping @nsa

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
I'm pretty cool with all of the changes actually. Except for two. The freaking medals are still ugly (especially sniper and multikill medals) and... that fucking butt ugly BR. :S

Dec 30, 2012
Now many of y'all know me as a massive hater and big time critic of just about anything Halo. During the pre-launch lead up for Halo 4, I trashed that game non-stop. Had it not been for certain problems I had at the time, I wouldn't have bought it... But I digress, that's neither here nor there. I hated Halo 4 though. I hated Vanilla Reach too. And I hated Halo 3. So what do you think I'm gonna have to say about Halo 5?

I love it. Simple as that. It's not classic Halo, sure, but its not a bad game. Not at all. In fact, it's so far from being a bad game, I don't understand where all this hate I see some of y'all spiting at it is coming from. I mean, jesus guys, some of you grind hours on end with games like Destiny! Are you really gonna say Halo 5 is trash while playing a game that it is at least on par with? Or are you simply trashing it because it has Halo in the title but isn't the classic Halo we all know and love?

Anyhow, the game is pretty solid. It's not perfect, not by a mile, but it's pretty darn good.

What I like:
  • Gunplay - Low aim assist, fast optimal kill times... Best Gunplay we've had since CE!
  • Clamber - The maps were designed with this in mind... We actually have maps that aren't flat!
  • Medals - Stuff like Reversal... It feels so rewarding.
  • Thrust - I've always been a fan of dodge jump mechanics in Arena Shooters. Just wish you didn't put your gun down.
  • Power Slide - Probably one of the most undervalued new mechanics. Wish you could tie it to thrust instead of sprint...
  • The Maps! - Regret and Empire are great. Truth is alright for another Midship, and Eden ain't bad.
  • Forge - Got some nice pieces, clean textures, and it looks like a foreground object color option too!
  • Fast TTK - Quick Optimal TTK and long Average TTK. Great dynamic.
  • Smart Scope - Finally CQC weapons actually have some utility! AR start gametypes aren't gonna leave you completely screwed over since it has some "range" to it.
  • Stabilizers - Note; not auto stabilize. That shit should be manual. Love it for getting those niche sightlines.
What I Dislike
  • Sprint - I don't hate it, but it's not good.
  • Base Speed - Too slow, needs a 10% buff without increasing Sprint speed. They should be no more than 15% difference in speed.
  • Ground Pound - I find it useless, and I hate it being mapped to crouch. This needs remapped.
  • Hit Markers on Grenades - Seriously, if I can't see the player, I should be rewarded with knowing they took damage.
  • Shoulder Charge - Not a game breaker, just ain't a fan.
  • Assassination Animation - Never liked it, never will.
  • Rocket Launcher - Why in the hell did they change it? Effin stupid.
  • Frame Rate in Stronghold - This is freaking unacceptable
  • Pegasus - This map needs to die
Frankly, I feel with some subtle tweaks this game could be amazing. The biggest issue the game faces is how easy it is to abuse Sprint and Thruster for passive play.

My Suggestions:
  • Increase Base Movement by 10%, Keep Sprint Speed Constant
  • Quicken Rate of Fire on BR and DMR, Lower Aim Assist and Bullet Magnetism
  • Keep Gun Up When Thrusting
  • Tie Slide Mechanic to Thruster
  • Quicken Weapon Up Time (when coming out of sprint and thrust)
  • Tighten Spread on BR
  • Make Spread Consistent Between Scoped and Unscoped (Use Scoped Spread for Everything)
  • Tighten AR Spread (A Miss is a Miss, Makes Headshots More Consistent)
So yeah... I still think it's a good game. I'll be getting it when it ships, so long as they don't screw up the things it has going for it so far, like by upping the aim assist for increasing the kill times...

Buddy

Master
Feb 8, 2013
Germany
www.youtube.com
Schnitzel, why is the constantly talking commentator and the medal spam (I don't even want to start talking about the design of them....) not in the disliked section? I'm curious.

The END

Novice
Jan 19, 2015
Hudson ohio
I've always thought that they should make a remake of forge world with a few extra islands and caves for halo 5, because think about it, halo reach was always the most played halo in terms of custom minigames on forge world

I've always thought that they should make a remake of forge world with a few extra islands and caves for halo 5, because think about it, halo reach was always the most played halo in terms of custom minigames on forge world

A lot of people think of Forge World as a perfect forging environment, but it really wasn't. I'm not saying it was bad, but it was kind of overrated (though its currently the best one to date). The only good parts were the island (we haven't had any islands since) and the canyon. We need diverse yet bare-bones canvasses, so we can make our forge maps exactly how we want them and not be limited by the canvasses.