Cool Halo 5 Forge Q&A with Psychoduck

front-page-cool-stuff.png
By now, most of you have begun the process of wrapping your heads around the wealth of new controls, tools, systems, and objects in Halo 5's forge mode. I imagine many of you are finding this learning curve challenging, even daunting. As someone who went through the same process a few months ago on an accelerated schedule, I find this quite relatable. So, as you learn the ropes of the new forge, feel free to ask any questions, voice any concerns, and report any issues you encounter. I will do my best to answer your questions, and if I don't know the answer, I know a few others who just might. If we encounter issues, I also happen to know the people who are in charge of fixing them.

If you are learning faster than others, feel free to jump in and answer some questions yourself, too. And don't forget to talk about what you're building in the WAYWO thread. Happy forging!

Also, here are a few resources which you might find helpful in your endeavor (I'll continue to update this list):

Last edited:
So Duck, how does one go about finding this "round objects" that you spoke of just a few months ago? But for real, how does one delete all of a certain object?

This isn't entirely forge related, but I've been finding myself wishing for this feature even more now that Forge is here. I can't kick people in-game. Sometimes putting the game to invite-only slips my mind, and a friend and his friends will join my game to see what I'm up to. More than often, someone has joined my game and starts using my game to test all the new forge options... It'd be really nice to have the ol' boot.

On a more Forge-related note, friends of mine have been reporting that trying to script objects that are welded is causing a lot of problems. The biggest problem that has happened is the welded objects becoming un-editable. They appear there, but can't be moved or deleted. The collision physics for the object still work. When this happens, the objects somehow duplicate and appear somewhere else in the map. Picking up the duplicate objects cause the first set to disappear, seeming to create an immediate fix to the problem.

Last edited:
So Duck, how does one go about finding this "round objects" that you spoke of just a few months ago? But for real, how does one delete all of a certain object?
Primitives > Cylinders
Primitives > Rings
On a more Forge-related note, friends of mine have been reporting that trying to script objects that are welded is causing a lot of problems. The biggest problem that has happened is the welded objects becoming un-editable. They appear there, but can't be moved or deleted. The collision physics for the object still work. When this happens, the objects somehow duplicate and appear somewhere else in the map. Picking up the duplicate objects cause the first set to disappear, seeming to create an immediate fix to the problem.
There are a few scripting-related bugs which are already known. I am not sure if this is one of them. I'll pass it on.

I made a map last night and I put in some initial spawns... No respawn points but, I didn't think I would need them to re-enter and continue forging today. Now I am stuck staring at a snow covered mountain (kind of below the map.) Anyone know if this is fixable or, if the spawns and my current problem are even related?

I made a map last night and I put in some initial spawns... No respawn points but, I didn't think I would need them to re-enter and continue forging today. Now I am stuck staring at a snow covered mountain (kind of below the map.) Anyone know if this is fixable or, if the spawns and my current problem are even related?
This is a bug which is known and high priority for a fix. For now, you can avoid it by always ensuring you have multiple respawn and initial spawn points on your map when saving.

I have one issue so far: I have a ramp connected to a 64×64×4 block. When I drive a Hog over the connection, my camera squishes in as if there were a low ceiling. Anyone else experience this sort of thing/have a work around? It's really disorienting and annoying.

Anyone else found that opening forge maps in custom games, some blocks still jump about like in H2A? It happens with my shield pieces with 100% consistency, they always rotate or move when I open the map in a custom game, but are perfectly in line when I open it in forge :n:

...Apart from this this forge mode is bloody amazing. And I've already got 3 ideas and made one minigame even with the limited gametypes... I luv it so much

I have one issue so far: I have a ramp connected to a 64×64×4 block. When I drive a Hog over the connection, my camera squishes in as if there were a low ceiling. Anyone else experience this sort of thing/have a work around? It's really disorienting and annoying.
I have not experienced this, though it's no secret that the 'hog's physics make things a bit difficult at times in this game.
Anyone else found that opening forge maps in custom games, some blocks still jump about like in H2A? It happens with my shield pieces with 100% consistency, they always rotate or move when I open the map in a custom game, but are perfectly in line when I open it in forge :n:

...Apart from this this forge mode is bloody amazing. And I've already got 3 ideas and made one minigame even with the limited gametypes... I luv it so much
Are you experiencing this only with specific objects? The rounding issue which caused items to shift in he past should be absent from this game, but some specific items could be bugged. Report the items and any other relevant details here and I'll pass on the information.

Are you experiencing this only with specific objects? The rounding issue which caused items to shift in he past should be absent from this game, but some specific items could be bugged. Report the items and any other relevant details here and I'll pass on the information.

Not currently at home so can't be sure if it is only the shield pieces it is occurring with, however they definitely were badly affected by it. I used the shield pieces as a floor, and when opened in a custom game the pieces were all rotated (varying by maybe 1 to 3 degrees on each piece, enough to make the floor horribly uneven). This problem also only affected their rotation, not their position.

I've sorta got the grasp of forge, but I have 2 questions. So I've been making a map and its pretty much finished accept for one thing. I can't get the cinematics to play in custom games. So my first question is, how do I get them to play? Another question. While my map is complete, I have reached 100% lightmap. What exactly is lightmap?

Hey Duck, any idea when they plan to change it so not every map is listed in the viewable Fileshare menu? A quick fix would obviously be to only allow "Bookmarked" maps to be visible. Hoping they fix this quickly!
This is something I cannot really comment on. The current file share has been described as a temporary one, however.
Is there any way you can change the game options?
The game options in relation to what? You can change plenty of game settings.
I've sorta got the grasp of forge, but I have 2 questions. So I've been making a map and its pretty much finished accept for one thing. I can't get the cinematics to play in custom games. So my first question is, how do I get them to play? Another question. While my map is complete, I have reached 100% lightmap. What exactly is lightmap?
I'll be working on a cinematics tutorial soon. For now, I would advise simply reverse engineering them from an existing developer-created map. There is a video which describes the lightmap system embedded in the original post of this thread.

Is anyone else having trouble loading maps they've edited? I can open maps as long as I haven't made changes, but as soon as I make changes, the map won't load properly after I quit. It just freezes when I try to re-open it.

Here's an example of what I mean.
The only thing I can do is access the menu,

Is anyone else having trouble loading maps they've edited? I can open maps as long as I haven't made changes, but as soon as I make changes, the map won't load properly after I quit. It just freezes when I try to re-open it.

I have not experienced this. Please file a bug report in this thread.

If you delete all neutral respawn points then a random respawn point is form... this is just as often outside the map/under the floor resulting in the example... I tested yesterday and got about 70% occurance accross all three main forge maps (25 saves each)... haven't done a survey of breakout canvas but imagine its similar

If you delete all neutral respawn points then a random respawn point is form... this is just as often outside the map/under the floor resulting in the example... I tested yesterday and got about 70% occurance accross all three main forge maps (25 saves each)... haven't done a survey of breakout canvas but imagine its similar

I think that is what it is. Found a reddit thread with people reporting the same issue due to no respawns on the map

Not that I want to get into a long discussion about spawning, but the video showing the prioritization doesn't really explain how the points are chosen.

Also, may I strongly recommend videos where the narrative is audible while we watch the video? Cutting back and forth is a bit jarring, even more so than the wavy camera action I have seen in the past.

DUCK! Quit moving the camera so often! It is hella distracting! Otherwise nice video.

Last edited:
Duck...
Do you know the secret to rotating arranged, welded objects?
I have four platforms arranged in a circle, effectively orbiting an invisible block. The script tells the whole arrangement to rotate 180 then repeat, two cycles means each platform completes it's orbit.
It runs fine for a few cycles then starts wobbling, like an un-balanced wheel.
Is there something I'm missing, like the phase of objects, or that it's the invisible blocker acting as the spoke?
Good to know your thoughts.
Digi