Halo 5 Forge Bug Reports

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I would like to crowdsource the HaloCustoms community in an effort to aid 343 in the eradication of bugs affecting Halo 5's forge mode and related (use of forge maps in custom games and matchmaking). However, this will be a bit more structured than a typical bug thread. For those of you unfamiliar with software development, bugs need to be reproducible in order for their cause to be identified and fixed. Therefire, simply saying "x happened" is not terribly useful. Saying "x happened when I did y" with as much detail of the circumstances as possible is much more valuable. If you can consistently "repro" a bug by recreating the circumstances which cause it, you can be quite valuable as a tester because you can isolate the cause. So, when reporting bugs here, please be thorough. Provide Game DVR clips whenever possible and explain circumstances which you think are causing a bug. This should help 343 repro these bugs and ultimately aid them in fixing them. This should also help to minimize misreports and placebo. This thread will be sent directly to 343's internal forge team. Thank you for your help!

Please use the form below when submitting a bug report.
Bug description: brief description of the bug

Circumstances: a description of all circumstances surrounding a bug which you think may be causal or related with as much detail as possible

Additional documentation: any game footage, screenshot, or other documentation of the bug in action

Something you perceive as a missing feature is not a bug. To request the inclusion of additional gametypes in Halo 5, use this thread.

Last edited:

ChewyNutCluster

BK Forger Extraordinaire
Jan 13, 2013
installation 04
Bug Description: Scripting timers do not work correctly in round based games.

Circumstances: Timers work fine in the first round, but will not function properly in all following rounds. For example, I set objects to move across the map based on timers, this works perfectly on round one, but on round two the objects simply don't move at all or don't move nearly as far as I need them to.

Last edited:

Cheeze

Adept
May 26, 2013
Purgatory
cheeeeeeeeze.tumblr.com
Bug description: 32 x 32 x 16 isn't correctly sized. Current size is 32 x 33 x 16

Circumstances: None. Design flaw.

Additional documentation: If I get around to it, I'll edit a screen shot in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: REMkings

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington

RAMPANT

Master
Dec 21, 2015
Bug Description: Scripting timers do not work correctly in round based games.

Circumstances: Timers work fine in the first round, but will not function properly in all following rounds. For example, I set objects to move across the map based on timers, this works perfectly on round one, but on round two the objects simply don't move at all or don't move nearly as far as I need them to.

Additional Documentation: I'll edit this post and put a couple clips here tonight...
All timers and repeats appear to continue running off match start. My sword tournament map uses spectator boxes to ensure each round timer is met. (Rounds are round time +~7 sec) (FFA)

Last edited:

RAMPANT

Master
Dec 21, 2015
Bug description: Script triggers textures changing location when trigger is activated (hit-box remains in original position)

Circumstances: All test concur

Additional documentation: Non at this time

Circumstances: 48/48/4 - 96/96/4, 128/128/4-16/16/16 and multiple other
occurrences

Circumstances: All 3 main forge maps so far

Circumstances: Between forge sessions

Fix: Creating New group cause group to become visible

Additional documentation: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RBG RAMPANT AI/video/13401492

Circumstances: Phased items within one another

Circumstances: Between rounds (rare)

Circumstances: None. Design flaw.

Additional documentation:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RBG RAMPANT AI/screenshot/3756322
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RBG RAMPANT AI/screenshot/3756318

Circumstances: Some blocks specifically triangles

Additional documentation: None at this time

Circumstances: 1 life FFA

Additional documentation: None at this time

Last edited:

mcpo

Novice
Jan 1, 2016
Bug description: Uneditable Grouped and/or Welded objects.

Circumstances: If Halo 5 crashes (and throws you back to the XBOX ONE dashboard) while you're working in Forge, any grouped/welded objects become immovable. They're not locked, either. You simply can't grab them in any way.

Additional documentation: I don't have any stored game footage but I do have the saved map file which clearly shows the bug. It's happened now on a couple different maps, so I'm confident it's not a one-off glitch.

Cheeze

Adept
May 26, 2013
Purgatory
cheeeeeeeeze.tumblr.com
Bug description: Uneditable Grouped and/or Welded objects.

Circumstances: If Halo 5 crashes (and throws you back to the XBOX ONE dashboard) while you're working in Forge, any grouped/welded objects become immovable. They're not locked, either. You simply can't grab them in any way.

Additional documentation: I don't have any stored game footage but I do have the saved map file which clearly shows the bug. It's happened now on a couple different maps, so I'm confident it's not a one-off glitch.

Group two more objects and ungroup them. This should fix the issue.

Vader

Qualified
May 30, 2013
Bug description: Cannot edit map after saving and quitting. Screen is frozen and glitched out but main menu is accessible.

Circumstances: Haven't tested this myself but from many other people reporting the same thing, apparently this happens when you quit a forge map and don't have any respawn points on the map. In this case I had spawn points but not respawn.

Additional detail: I can no longer access the Breakout Arena map. Every time I try to load it I get the bug. This isn't my maps, it's the 343 version. I think I might have somehow changed the base map itself?

Last edited:

mcpo

Novice
Jan 1, 2016
Group two more objects and ungroup them. This should fix the issue.
You, sir, are awesome. Much appreciated. Hopefully they fix this soon, however, as even though this trick works, it ends up grouping all grouped objects together as one. But at least I have my map back. Thank you.

earthdefender00

Qualified
Sep 29, 2015
UK
Bug description: Grouped objects won't stay together.

Circumstances: I was grouping to bases together, but there were more then 64 objects, so I grouped some some objects to make them classify as one, but when I tried to move them all some of the objects would'tn move.

Cheeze

Adept
May 26, 2013
Purgatory
cheeeeeeeeze.tumblr.com
Bug description: Cannot edit map after saving and quitting. Screen is frozen and glitched out but main menu is accessible.

Circumstances: Haven't tested this myself but from many other people reporting the same thing, apparently this happens when you quit a forge map and don't have any respawn points on the map. In this case I had spawn points but not respawn.

Additional detail: I can no longer access the Breakout Arena map. Every time I try to load it I get the bug. This isn't my maps, it's the 343 version. I think I might have somehow changed the base map itself?

A fix was found. Have a friend join and place a respawn point.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Sorry man, I figured it out while helping a fellow forger a while ago. Didn't think i was gonna be the first.
I was able to save the map after all. Your trick worked even though I didn't expect it to because I thought I had already ungrouped the bugged pieces - which I hadn't. :D

Reactions: Cheeze

Lone

Novice
Jan 20, 2016
Wisconsin
Bug Description: Immediately after the object respawnes in forge, changing the object's velocity via script can change the objects respawn location to where it stops.

Circumstances:
1) Object's spawn location is successfully set at the object's initial placement
2) Placed object remained unmoved at it's starting location till launch
3) Interacted with terminal to launch object
4) After launch, object comes to rest and meets respawn conditions
5) Repeatedly sent messages using the terminal until object respawned and launched (launch should occur about less than 1 second after spawning
6) Launched object comes to rest

Additional Documentation:
- Through testing I've found the bug effects a majority of objects, however I haven't tested objects you can't collide with (i.e. sound and volume objects)
- Environmental variables (i.e. object count, script amount) seem to have no effect
- What happens when an object is launched from a different object that also has "normal" physics is untested
- Whether 'launched' object is slid or made airborne has no apparent impact on the bug's occurrence
- The speed at which the object is launched seems irrelevant (tested several speeds ranging from 25 - 300)
- Distance between the terminal (and player) that sent the message and the receiving object also seems irrelevant (observation made on Alpine while replicating the bug with the sending terminal and object placed at the map's ends)
- Under the defined circumstances I've managed to replicate the bug very often

Below link is to a video of me both failing and then succeeding in replicating the bug.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/DaLoneDestroyer/video/14083681

Reactions: Psychoduck

alex quit

Got Gud
Nov 19, 2014
BUG Description: Strange black volume? on Alpine

Circumstances:
Alpine, Sunrise lighting. - I haven't messed around with the bug much so I'm not sure if it's specific to the lighting or not.

Additional Documentation: VIDEO

---

BUG Description:
Name Volume - Pillar callout does not show up

Circumstances:
I was on Glacier when I happened upon this. I'm unsure if the callout shows up in custom games.

Additional Documentation: VIDEO

Both of these occurred before the most recent update.

Last edited:

Cheeze

Adept
May 26, 2013
Purgatory
cheeeeeeeeze.tumblr.com
BUG Description: Terminals sometimes move when selected, deselected or properties changed, with no real reason as to why.

Circumstances: Fresh new map on the Alpine canvas, no movement scripts added

Additional Documentation:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SkybladePhoenix/video/15078762
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SkybladePhoenix/video/15078787

(Two occurrences in different situations)

You gotta make sure when you spawn them, you let go of them individually instead of dropping into spartan mode or dieing.