Get A Clue Forge Contest Results

hc-communitycontent.jpg

GetAClueResultsBanner_zps88a34037.png

Well the time has finally arrived, the Get A Clue Forge Contest results are in! As a Clue enthusiast, I was lucky enough to be handpicked by Master Debaytes as one of the contest judges, and i can tell you it was a hoot to participate. Playing submissions nightly in Clue lobbies, and genuinely having a great time in the process. Many fantastic clue maps were submitted, it became quite tough to decide an order near the end. So without further adieu, here are your results!

In first place, drumroll please:
CHATEAU DE CLUE 2!! by FragsturBait

CHATEAUDECLUE2_zps92f8b344.jpg

It has everything you could want from a clue map. From a starting dock with plenty of secrets looming down below, to a dragon overlooking all the explosions and blood.

As an innocent you've got plenty of places to go in an attempt to stay safe, but a killer could always be lurking in the trees above. Yes, in the trees. If you're smart you'll try and stay up high and watch with the dragon. If you're lazy, maybe you'll hide in a crate or have a seat in an impossible chair.

As a killer, it's a playground. Remember those trees? Yeah. I can recall instances where i'd hop through them all Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style. Finding cover after committing a violent act can be very easy, the map's got plenty of castle walls to hide behind or rooms to calmly have a seat in. Impossibly. Fire an incineration cannon, make the peasants think the dragon's burninating the countryside, or quietly lurk in the hidden rooms below, it's truly up to you on Chateau De Clue 2.

Master Debaytes said:
A castle by the sea cliffs is not something you see in your average Halo map, or even Clue map for that matter. With its tall walls and large size, players really get the feeling that they are playing in a giant castle. Inside the castle walls, the courtyard itself is a site to behold and unique with the addition of the small campfire and rotisserie schmeef. Probably the most obvious aesthetic on the map is the large schmeef dragon perched on top of the far castle wall and it just looks amazing. You will find random scattered things around the map as well, like the chair hanging from the ceiling at the base of the back tower.

While the aesthetics on the map are great, you get the feeling that there was a greater focus on gameplay when playing the map. The castle is brilliantly forged in that it is large enough the satisfy players' tastes of exploration but not too overwhelming so that players have difficulty navigating around the map. There are many hidden rooms and locations all over the place, along with their fair share of hidden weapons and armor abilities. I still haven't found the incineration cannon personally, but the map plays so well I'll have no problem playing it until I finally find it.

The spawn is in a great location, secluded from the main area of the map and confined enough so the killer(s) can't get away with some kills right off the bat. Forging is executed perfectly with no eyesores anywhere. The map isn't breakable in any locations, but there are some areas where players tend to fall off the map and die fairly often. As for replayability, players will want to keep coming back to this map to find new rooms and new weapons each time.

In second place, a map on the coast:
Coastal Escape by Jesus in Malibu

CoastalEscape_zpsc1ac8f1b.jpg

Taking cues from other maps, clue or otherwise, Coastal Escape takes certain elements, pays homage, and makes for a totally original experience. It's the Pulp Fiction of clue maps, with designated areas for killers to "take out the trash".

Innocents wander a coastal street on a beautiful Forge Island day. Maybe they pitch a tent and sit by the fire and hope for the best, or maybe they quietly follow the suspicious before the suspicious follow them. If you're feeling ballsy, you could even challenge the killer(s) to a boxing match. One could even go the bar, have a pint and wait for this whole thing to blow over.

As a killer, the street takes on a whole new light. You wonder the best way to lure victims into the back alley, or find the best angle to toss a grenade into a tent. When you need a breather, you can always pause to enjoy the view from the cliffside. You're essentially Bruce Willis(es), so find a sword and go slice some dudes like a samurai after throwing a fight in a boxing ring because you can on Coastal Escape.

Master Debaytes said:
This map pays tribute to the aesthetics of several great maps before it, such as Peppermint Rhino and Fight Club. The unique atmosphere that this map creates is unlike any other Clue map seen in the contest. It also brings some original features to the table, including the dumpster and the underground sewer tunnel. Overall, a great aesthetic map.

Although the map is a bit on the smaller side, it doesn't take away from the gameplay. While most eyes are focused on the main street that spans across the majority of the map, it's the little areas along its sides that receive all of the traffic. There are enough secrets to look out for to keep players on their toes, and the weapon placement is interesting as well. Even though there are some pretty open areas, close quarter weapons still have a strong foothold on this map.

There are no problems with mechanics on this map at all. The spawn is in a great location and is enclosed just enough. All of the secret areas and teleporters work perfectly fine 100% of the time. The forging is clean and organized. Also, the map is definitely replayable, again and again.

In third place, we have my personal favorite:
Saturated by IR3CON ST34LTH

Saturated_zpsa1f78152.jpg

A foggy mood taken straight out of an old Gears of War map, and a Venice-like canal taken straight out of, well, Venice. Saturated for me, is THE clue map of clue maps. A tight layout connected by arcing bridges and balconies allow for a truly unique clue experience.

As a potential murder victim, it's as if you were on a nice vacation before fog rolled in and serial killers came to town and then it all just went bad. Your vacation is now a horror film. Time to hide in some shrubs or climb to high ground, or give up and kill yourself by taking a dive into the cold canal ;)

Killers will feel extra cool as they crouch around underneath the bridges waiting for troll food to cross above. Or if they'd rather, watch from above as the tourists wander through the fog. There's always a way to escape after taking somebody out, and not to a nice Italian dinner. Play smart and everybody will be saturated by the end. With blood.

Master Debaytes said:
At first glance, most people think that they're playing a symmetrical competitive map. However, that's not the case with Saturated. The main aesthetic piece on this map (at least, in my opinion) is the river cutting through the center of the map and the bridges stretching across it. The rest of the map seems to be built around that centerpiece, with some little exceptions (like those benches with trees laid across them, I never understood them), but Forge Island's palette is a nice compliment to water.

If I could define the gameplay on this map with one word, it would be "solid." Out of all of the times I've played this map, gameplay has stayed pretty balanced out. There's never been a round where the killers were killed off in the first couple of minutes and there hasn't been a round where the killers completed dominated either. This may be because there isn't a big assortment of weapons to pick up like in most other Clue maps and because there aren't too many secrets on the map, but it's not a big deal in this case.

All of the basics are there on this map. Forging is nice and clean, all lifts and teleporters work, and movement across the map can be made with ease. However, replayability on this map is a little stale, since there aren't too many things hidden on the map.

Fourth Place:
Waterway by Z0mbieK1ller27

Waterway_zps0cdd2b86.jpg

It's a pool party loaded with some of the best aesthetics I've seen in Halo 4. It doesn't even need to be playable to be considered incredible. In clue you never feel like you're in danger, it's just so sunny and nice, but that changes fast when the guy you're playing Marco Polo with gets shot in the head.

Master Debaytes said:
The aesthetics on this map are nothing short ofbreathtaking. Zombiekiller did an excellent job of recreating a small, fun-filled, poolside playground in Halo 4. There's everything from a water slide, a pool with a ladder, lounge chairs with umbrellas, and even a bathroom with stalls. For a small Clue map, gameplay is enjoyable, which is a rare find in itself. If you are a fan of small Clue maps, this is a must download.

Fifth Place:
Broken Funnybone by ImWithStupid55

BrokenFunnybone_zpsd0e3b658.jpg

For those with a taste for less close-quarters combat, loaded with some truly clever secrets. Its a fancy hospital of sorts, but i don't think it's doctors performing the surgery on this day. Watch from across the street or pretend to be a patient, the map is versatile and makes for some great clue.

Master Debaytes said:
When I found out that Stupid was working on a hospital for the contest, I didn't think too much of it. I don't know, maybe it's because I hate hospitals (and I mean HATE). However, the final product turned out to be a great map. It's certainly a unique atmosphere from the other Clue maps, especially with its clever and original secrets (especially the incineration cannon) which may inspire Clue maps to come.

The Runners Up:
6. Smugglers Cave by Warrior Chair
7. Construction Site by Wolferious
8. Zepplin by Rezix333
9. Caveat Cave by Did4ct
10. Tudor Hall by OT7OM4N

A more in depth look at all 10 of these outstanding maps from Master Debaytes and a video coming soon! Stay tuned!​

2nd! Woot! :eek:
Frag, however, really did deserve first, I like his map even better than my own. All in all, a lot of these maps are really enjoyable to play on and generally made playing clue a better experience from playing the original maps over and over. :D Congrats to the other winners!

Fragsterpaid.

Glad to see all the maps! Pretty amazing creations in the top 5 and creative ones in the overall 10. Can't wait for whatever competition Master Debaytes and Sam the Great come up with next!

Gj to everyone who participated, and Debaytes, please, give us a list of ALL the maps......

BrokenFunnybone_zpsd0e3b658.jpg

For those with a taste for less close-quarters combat, loaded with some truly clever secrets. Its a fancy hospital of sorts, but i don't think it's doctors performing the surgery on this day. Watch from across the street or pretend to be a patient, the map is versatile and makes for some great clue.

I am always wondering how the hell that mongoose go there. Hmm...

Congratulations to the winners, and a slightly less enthusiastic (yet still joyous!) congratulations to the runner-ups. These are all rather interesting to see, and despite my lack of interest in games like Clue, each map looks really quite interesting. T'was a neat little competition. :)

Reactions: Sam The Great