Map Preview Fort Hank

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-13-47.png

Hank Hill's propane and propane accessories has set up shop in this hilltop bunker.
In all seriousness, though, Fort Hank is a remake of Bunker Hill: a map I co-forged with Oakley HiDef in Halo: Reach. Bunker Hill was made not too long before Halo 4's release, so it never got too much traction, but I think it is absolutely one of my best designs to date. Roughly inspired by High Ground, the map plays entirely asymmetrically with all of the action centering around an expansive bunker. The bunker has numerous entrances, and the defenders must be constantly on their toes, moving to plug gaps. The map plays best for one-sided territories where an exceptional level of deep meta game is created by the objective setup. Attackers must be exceptionally coordinated to lock down territories three and five against even average opponents.

With this remake, I took several liberties with the design. This time around, the terrain was built around the bunker in contrast to how the original was built. This gave me some added freedom to experiment with various routes and lines of sight. I have also scaled parts of the map, particularly the attacker approaches, down quite significantly. The turret is now even more important than before.

I hope to start testing soon, hopefully this version plays as well as the Reach version.

fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-14-09.png

A view from the new attackers' watchtower

fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-14-36.png

A view of territory 2 and the left bunker approach

fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-14-56.png

Ditto

fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-15-18.png

A view of territory 5 and the roof

fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-15-49.png

The bunker interior and sniper spawn

fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-16-11.png

The main defenders' spawn area and rear bunker entrances

fort-hank Screen Shot 2015-07-07 09-16-44.png

The rockets and the center approach

Original map thread

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Yayy. Someone who actually cares about the consistency of the colored stripes lining up with other blocks.

Super stoked to play this. Pure nostalgia. It'll be interesting to see how your thought process of map design has changed over the years.

Have you checked out the built in variant of territories called Incursion? Of course you'd have to modify a lot of settings but the general idea is interesting.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Yayy. Someone who actually cares about the consistency of the colored stripes lining up with other blocks.

Super stoked to play this. Pure nostalgia. It'll be interesting to see how your thought process of map design has changed over the years.

Have you checked out the built in variant of territories called Incursion? Of course you'd have to modify a lot of settings but the general idea is interesting.
Incursion labels are broken. Buddha created a workaround with scripting, but it's quite complicated. I spoke with someone from Certain Affinity about the issue a few months ago, but several of the staff on their forge team have recently left the company so the issue appears to have not been looked into. It has potential, but not really on this map.

A playable version of the map as well as a squad territories variant are now on my file share.

Reactions: PA1NTS