Forging Tool: Tinkercad

hc-coolstuff.jpg
I Stumbled across something today that I felt was worth sharing with the forgers in the bunch, both beginners and veterans. Tinkercad is a web app for Google Chrome, and its original purpose was to allow someone to design a product for 3D printing. But it can have other, more-applicable-to-Halo-Forgers, uses. It can act as an relatively quick way and easy to plan out sections of a map before you start building. You can brainstorm/flesh out that base idea you've had bouncing around in your head for a while, or plot out spacing and scaling between structures.​

Those familiar with Google Sketchup will feel right at home. You may not have full feature parity with the rich Sketchup, but you have enough tools, in an easy to use, light interface, to get your ideas on 'paper' before you set off into Forge. Watch the video below for an introduction to the app. It'll teach you pretty much all you need to know in order to jump right in and give it a go.

very very helpful, thanks for the post! i use sketchup quite a bit, but i do waste a bit of time just figuring wtf is going on around me.. if that even makes sense.

very very helpful, thanks for the post! i use sketchup quite a bit, but i do waste a bit of time just figuring wtf is going on around me.. if that even makes sense.
Yep. I used to use sketchup as well, a few years ago. But it can be a bit cumbersome, both in how you use and in how taxing it can be on a computer. The nice thing about this is how light and user-friendly it is.

I know another really good app for IPad users its called "formit" by auto desk. You can design structures similar to this program for free and in a fairly simple manner. I designed this in about 30 min
image.jpg

I use sketchbook and photo shop touch on my phone to create a 2d layout I hope formit eventually makes its way to the android market. I also use google sketchup for planing some of my maps. The nice thing about this app is that its a chrome app and you can use it anywhere, this will be perfect for when im at work or in my living room. Thanks for finding this! And by the way there is a set of models out there for google sketchup with all the forge pieces from Halo Reach. I think it is called reach advanced objects.