Ducky's Forge-folio

Dec 30, 2012
Jesus Ducky, you used to be baaaaaaaaaaad at designing maps. Good thing your good maps later on are of such quality that they overshadow you're older monstrasities. Haha. I had totally forgotten about the likes of maps such as Astroid Base and Focal. :p

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
New Stuff (August 2013 to now)
That's right, I finally caught some ever-illusive free time and decided to polish this off (until my portfolio expands, that is). This section pretty much encompasses the last year. I didn't make a whole lot of maps during this time. I did drastically improve my design knowledge, I tested and tweaked maps for others and all of that. Anyways, let's dive into it.

Panic Attack: The genesis of this map was actually an attempt to port Panic Station over to Forge Island with a few tweaks. I wanted to clean everything up and down-scale the map a bit as it was somewhat overscaled. I quickly found that building Panic Station without station corridors would be nigh on impossible (I really got lucky that that piece was introduced given that I designed the map before I knew it would be). Long story short, I decided to create a new map building upon the design of Panic Station and taking into account everything I'd learned about BTB design over the last few years. Whereas as Panic Station gave vehicles unparalleled freedom, I wanted to actually direct vehicles a bit more this time around to optimize infantry-vehicle interaction. The system of jumps and drop-offs soon took shape. It took me quite a bit of experimentation to finally get the bases right, but it happened. The map went through tons of testing and tweaking, but ended up accomplishing what I wanted it to. The map incorporates every element you would expect to see on a 4v4 arena map as well as what you would expect from a BTB map. The addition of vehicles to such a punishing map just added even more competitive elements.

The map is quite similar to the original drawing, although I never drew out the base.
panic-attack-sketchup.png

panic-attack.png

ugcuserfile-9498fb44-5414-4f63-b735-53a6d406719e-e1e318089fcf7db6-full.jpg

View Panic Attack's map post

Town of Pl0x/Ruiner: After creating a very structured map like Panic Attack, I wanted to try something different. Looking at y Halo: reach map Roundtown for inspiration, I began constructing a very freeform asymmetrical Ghost Town-esque map on Ravine. The map has some very unique and dynamic geometry and includes some interesting elements such as an initial battle between rockets and sniper, a bunch of jumps, and generally varied movement options. However, Ravine's natural terrain led to the map being rather long and skinny. This led to spawning being awkward and the map to simply not flow the way I would like. Beyond some halfway decent Slayer potential, this map really didn't turn out terribly well. Still, it was a fun and fresh project.

ugcuserfile-abc0e0b5-547d-43c8-a328-8f6d2545e70d-a5644352aa4ceed7-full.jpg

View Ruiner's map post

Three Was Lost: One recent project I attempted to start was a three-way symmetrical map designed for three teams of four. The map was to play three-way CTF which would incorporate some very unique meta game. This was also to include warthogs. As it turns out, creating directional vehicle routes in a three-way symmetrical setting is a huge challenge. I'd like to revisit this concept at some point, but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere at the moment.

Marooned: This is my latest project and is about a week into development. I don't want to spoil anything, but imagine some combination of Bunker Hill, Relic, High Ground, and Standoff. Stay tuned.

Yay! I finally finished this!

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
Three Was Lost: One recent project I attempted to start was a three-way symmetrical map designed for three teams of four. The map was to play three-way CTF which would incorporate some very unique meta game. This was also to include warthogs. As it turns out, creating directional vehicle routes in a three-way symmetrical setting is a huge challenge. I'd like to revisit this concept at some point, but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere at the moment.

Yesm, three base is definitely a tough cookie to chew.

Reactions: Kantalope